Advice on how to deal with actors

I'm supposed to start filming my first short in two weeks, per my schedule, and my actors have been "too busy" to learn their lines. They are friends of mine, which was probably my first mistake...but one of them has 3 years of acting school under her belt and though the other has no acting background, he comes across really well when reading the script...well, after I show him how it's done.

He's not good at putting himself into the role, but he can mimick what I do and the result is a very believable character.

I have been telling them stuff like, "I realize you're busy but this is very important to me and it should be to you as well."

It's not really in my nature to coddle people and hold their hands, being a former Marine but I don't want to be an asshole.

I'm about to start putting my boot in some asses if this doesn't take a turn for the better.

Any suggestions?

Maybe try to schedule a few read-through days. Days were you guys all sit down and go through the script a few times. It gets them more into character and they start learning their lines in a round about way. Also that gives you the opportunity to direct them differently if they aren't delivering lines the way you intended them to. The final product is a faster shoot day with less takes and a happier crew that might get to go home quicker. Just an option. Anyone else got any ideas?

You're in charge so you can say to your cast that you won't start shooting before it looks good enough. Then you test them and point out their mistakes. Based on that you evaluate what you as a team still need to work out before it will make sense to bring the camera. Soon everybody will deliver exactly what you expect from them.

Originally Posted by winright007
Tell them you are going to find replacements.

I don't want any conflicts with them. Like I said, they ARE my friends and even though I am justified in that, I'd like to keep it as a last resort.

Dude, you are wasting your time with these peeps - friends or not.

If it comes down to "puttin' a boot up some asses", you'll be wasting your time too. You'll not only have apathetic, flakey actors, but resentful ones as well.

Reschedule your shoot, and cast some actors who are actually interested in the film.

Recast. Unless you want lackluster performances, and one dude looking like he's being fed lines.

I agree with Brooksy. I remember when I was just starting my first few shorts and I needed to beg friends to do me favors and spare their time in order to gather up a few actors; the very best thing you can do is to just sit down over coffee and talk your way through the script. Don't ask them to act it right away, but just discuss how it should sound and what the motivation is behind each scene (and hand them a couple pens -- hint hint: "Take Notes!"). Then after coffee go to a nice park and fool around, acting out any scenes that couldn't be properly expressed to your friends just verbally. Still, be prepared to film a few takes of the scenes even after this practice.
Good luck on your project!

Thanks guys. I'm gonna have to push back this date. I think it was unreasonable to expect to film in a month when it's my first film. I was just very ignorant to all that I would be required to learn as well. I had no idea there was so much involved in filming just a few minutes worth of decent video.

I appreciate all the advice. Thanks again.

If your actors can't be off-book when the shoot starts...find actors that can be off-book. Either you're not giving them enough time (I doubt that), or they aren't putting in the work needed to be an actor--if the latter is the case, (friend or not) find new actors. Your project will suffer if you hire inexperienced actors that can't be bothered to put the work in. Friends should be the first to either tell you they can't commit, or work extra hard to please you.

Last edited:
I would schedule two rehearsals and let everyone know that if they don't come prepared
that they will be replaced, Let them know that you are serious about your project. Remind
them that there are other cast members and a crew and that their time is just as important.
Do not let your project suffer because of one or two people that are not willing to put in the
work needed to do a great job.

Terry

I would schedule two rehearsals and let everyone know that if they don't come prepared
that they will be replaced, Let them know that you are serious about your project. Remind
them that there are other cast members and a crew and that their time is just as important.
Do not let your project suffer because of one or two people that are not willing to put in the
work needed to do a great job.

Terry

You shouldn't have to beg, explain, or coerce actors or crew to have proper work ethic on set. If you find yourself doing any of the above, you need to immediately reassess the production, and your standards. Professional actors and crew should never cause you any headache.

I understand if you're hiring friends (in the beginning we all do), you're at risk of some of them flaking out...just make sure you choose wisely, and if they start to flake out, fire them and get someone who won't flake out--it's worth it to pick the right team from the get-go.

Usually--depending on the infraction--we work with a two strike and you're out rule. You have to be firm...get used to that.

Thanks for all the solid advice. I've decided to recast. Posted an ad on craigslist and have had a great response. My only concern now is working with actors who have much more experience than I do. Hopefully I can pull it off. I made it clear that it was my first film and to be aware that there will be a lot of learning going on.

I am in no way experienced in any of this but I did help out doing extra work for a college girl making a short. What she did was go to the playhouse and rallied up actors who would be willing to spend their saturday with her.
I don't believe she had any of her friends in this pic because it was all very professionally done.
I was asked to help out via someone in the playhouse and I thought it would be fun...so I went and played some background person.
She was able to get the job done that day...no pussyfooting around.

My only concern now is working with actors who have much more experience than I do. Hopefully I can pull it off.

When you get people on your set that are amazingly great actors you will then rise up to that level.

I had someone who is a very talented actress that has now gone on to star in a movie with Megan Fox, John Malkovich, Josh Brolin and others. She made my movie for just food, water and treating her with respect.

You can pull it off. You have to have a positive outlook. :cool:

When you get people on your set that are amazingly great actors you will then rise up to that level.

I apologize for being a joy-kill...but this isn't true at all.

I've worked with many aspiring directors who run a horrific set, regardless of the talent they've hired (or asked to help out).

Yes, there are folks that up their game when more experienced (or name) talent is on set...but this is not always the case. Many of them mean well...but you know...the road to hell is paved...ah well...lol.

I apologize for being a joy-kill...but this isn't true at all.

I've worked with many aspiring directors who run a horrific set, regardless of the talent they've hired (or asked to help out).

Yes, there are folks that up their game when more experienced (or name) talent is on set...but this is not always the case. Many of them mean well...but you know...the road to hell is paved...ah well...lol.

Yes, I agree in general. I am supposing that the original poster is not one of those types of people that you have mentioned and giving them the encouragement to not let their lack of experience or the actors good experience hold them back.

I am hoping that this won't be one of those cases you mentioned. The poster is here asking questions. Which is something that 'those' directors you mentioned would not be doing.

Yes, I agree in general. I am supposing that the original poster is not one of those types of people that you have mentioned and giving them the encouragement to not let their lack of experience or the actors good experience hold them back.

I am hoping that this won't be one of those cases you mentioned. The poster is here asking questions. Which is something that 'those' directors you mentioned would not be doing.

Well I wouldn't pretend to know what kind of person the OP is...I was just making a statement based on your response...not trying to cause dissension...just saying.

:)

Well I wouldn't pretend to know what kind of person the OP is...I was just making a statement based on your response...not trying to cause dissension...just saying.

:)

No worries. I really didn't think that you were trying to cause anything. I am very direct when I talk on the net and don't use smiles as much as I should. I may have come off as stern; not as light as I intended.

And now random smiles

:) :) :)

Back