Advice on how to deal with actors

I'm supposed to start filming my first short in two weeks, per my schedule, and my actors have been "too busy" to learn their lines. They are friends of mine, which was probably my first mistake...but one of them has 3 years of acting school under her belt and though the other has no acting background, he comes across really well when reading the script...well, after I show him how it's done.

He's not good at putting himself into the role, but he can mimick what I do and the result is a very believable character.

I have been telling them stuff like, "I realize you're busy but this is very important to me and it should be to you as well."

It's not really in my nature to coddle people and hold their hands, being a former Marine but I don't want to be an asshole.

I'm about to start putting my boot in some asses if this doesn't take a turn for the better.

Any suggestions?

No worries amigo. I too tend to come across a bit too coarse online...damn that TONE thing. :) I wonder if Stephen Hawking has the same problem? OK..OK...that was in bad taste.

OK..so...enough veering the thread's topic. :)

How do YOU deal with actors?

Friends tend to help you because they're just that, your friends.
Strangers come to you because they want try out acting/improve themselves etc2.
Somehow, I always feel that anyone can act. They just need the right direction and the willingness. That's what I feel though.

Friends are easier to handle in a way that I know their background, so I know the stuff needed to invoke certain emotions/actions from them.

Strangers are more challenging and exciting. But one thing about strangers is that they tend to be more willing to do what you ask of them coz in the 1st place they kinda volunteered, not forced.
Just my 2cents.

Some options:
1. A Candy bar
2. A Bottle of whiskey
3. A Board with a nail in it
4. A Shotgun
5. A fake Oscar on a pole and string like the carrot and the horse.

Hahahah. Nice.

I've got one more...

6. Deferred pay with empty promises.

Friends tend to help you because they're just that, your friends.
Strangers come to you because they want try out acting/improve themselves etc2.
Somehow, I always feel that anyone can act. They just need the right direction and the willingness. That's what I feel though.

Friends are easier to handle in a way that I know their background, so I know the stuff needed to invoke certain emotions/actions from them.

Strangers are more challenging and exciting. But one thing about strangers is that they tend to be more willing to do what you ask of them coz in the 1st place they kinda volunteered, not forced.
Just my 2cents.

Friends also help because it's their chance to be a part of a 'film'...which to most people is a glamorous, cool thing to do. When they find out it's not so glamorous...they back out. Of course, the GOOD friends don't back out, and are in it to the end...but everyone learns quickly that filmmaking isn't what they thought. For those who really want to do it...it's a labor of love, and nothing will thwart them from their goal.

In terms of 'everyone can act'...this is absolutely not true. Some people are naturals, yes, but this is rare. And I’m not talking about sub-par acting...I'm talking about 'on the level' kind of stuff, which all films should have. I'm not from the mindset that indie films are allowed to have, or can get away with less than believable acting...acting is acting...and every production deserves the real deal.

Not sure about the rest of you...but we don't force our friends to work on our pictures. Lol. Funny though.

I'm just busting on you.

Cheers.

Last edited:
well since they are your friends this would be much easier, tell'em how much this project means to you and if they aren't going to take it seriously then you'll have to let go and find someone else........

Back