Advice on acheiving slo-mo falling scenes (example inside)

I want to shoot a scene for an abstract short film where a girl is falling in slo-mo (like 300fps). In the example music video below, there are some scenes where actresses are suspended in air and appear to be falling in slo-mo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwZx-udWuxI

Does anyone have any advice on how to achieve this? I was thinking about renting some sort of flying rig from a theater. What would be the best way to put the actress in the falling motion?

It seems that I would have to rent a Red Epic to get that slow of a motion at 1080p. Does anyone know of any other (cheaper) cameras that do this slow of a motion at full high def, 1080p?

Thanks.

The Phillip Bloom article I linked you to is a good start.

Your inexperience with shooting & retiming could set you up for some trouble in post. I suggest you bring a machine on set and run some retimes on your footage as you shoot. If a portion doesn't look like it's going to retime unacceptably, and you lack the skill set to repair in the comp, then shoot some interesting coverage & inserts that you can cut to to hide these problematic portions of a take. I'd have someone on set who is dedicated to downloading CF cards and running tests for you.

Make a plan. Write it down. You can do it.

Thomas

Last edited:
Borrowlenses.com rents the fs700 and will ship it to you if you can't find local.

Otherwise find something that shoots 60p. Shooting 60p while actors are pretending to move slow and then slowing that down yields pretty good results most of the time. On our video "The Exchange" we did that exact method. There are lots of examples on Vimeo too.

If you try to shoot 30 or 24 and 100% rely on twixtor, you're gonna have a bad time.

Back