Adobe no longer selling software!

I think this will really open things up for the competition. Oh, wait, what competition?

It's definitely unfortunate - I like the pricing of the online offering, but don't have any interest in creating project files that I can't open later if I don't keep up my subscription forever.

I'm now very glad I bought (at student prices) a copy of CS6 Production Premium last year. I was very happy to drop a chunk of change on it knowing it would last a good few years, but there's no way I could justify a monthly subscription for software I use irregularly and predominantly for personal/unpaid work.

So instead of making some big bux from me each time I upgrade (every two years, but still), they'd rather get less than $200 for my probable actual use-time? :hmm:

I dunno, man. I'm sure they have done their bean-counting on this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only customer who's suddenly gonna be spending a fraction of what I used to.

They were listening to their users and they've been great so far about everything they do and now they come up with this piece of shit ? What the hell is going on ? Is this some sort of joke or what ..

I bought (legitimate purchases) every other version of their creative suite. I've been getting educational copies at a discount because I'm a teacher at the Ohio/Illinois Center for Broadcasting part time.

I cannot justify the dramatic increase in cost nonetheless I never ever ever put my editing computers on the Internet. Having to connect - EVERY SINGLE MONTH? Not an option for me. Never.

Looks like I will be holding onto CS6 for a while. There is no way I can justify paying $50 a month. This is a bad move by Adobe they are trying to alienate the startup Independent people imo. Looks like it will be FCP X, Motion and Da Vinci Resolve until they decide to get on the cloud bandwagon.

The dilemma for me is that the new version of AE has much better integration with C4D which I would really like to be able to take advantage of - and there's no real competing alternative.

Has anyone looked into how much trouble it is to simply toggle a subscription on and off for say a month at a time? As long as I could do that when needed in the future I could probably live with it, because the problem for me is I often only really need it a few times a year (most of my professional work has shifted to code rather than video/graphics these days).

I'm now very glad I bought [Adobe Product] last year. I was very happy to drop a [small] chunk of change on it knowing it would last a good few years, but there's no way I could justify a monthly subscription for software I use irregularly and predominantly for personal/unpaid work.
Same.

:no:

At the low end of the NLE universe I suspect a lot of freeware will blossom under this regime.

I'm surprised that I'm apparently in the minority here of people that are HAPPY about this?

As someone who upgraded every version or two, this is a MASSIVE discount. It's basically the entire master collection for the price of the educational version of Production Premium and yearly upgrade. It's actually LESS than a yearly upgrade, and Adobe has always been good about giving you bang for your buck and genuine exciting new features with upgrades. They upgraded every year or so too with great new features, as opposed to 4-6 years like some of the competition.

This thrills me. I know it helps them too because it really cuts down on piracy. $30-40 a month is nothing for a full suite of legit tools considering most pros easily make that in 30 minutes - 2 hours of work. For the newbie it's easy to cough up $30 where $400-2500 (depending on version/upgrade/retail/student etc) would be hard.

I'm very familiar with the educational discount and cost. I bought my first Adobe software as a student and over the years have bought it for non-profits I've worked with. Creative Cloud is still way less, and you get ALL the software. Since I upgraded from 5.5 to CS6 (via CC) my first year is $29 a month, then it'll jump to $39 a month assuming they don't discount it more before then. $480 is CHEEEEAAAPPP for the software I get. I'm excited about the cloud solution too since I'm about to be jumping from computer to computer a lot more often.

SB - I came from the era too where you couldn't connect your edit computer to the internet or risk it being decimated. Then I switched to a Mac haha. I went from having to fix or upgrade my PC every 4 months to a year to being able to use the same computer for going on 5 years now. It still competes speed-wise too with most of the competition. It's my edit computer AND email/business computer during render or off times. Only thing I've added over the years has been a new video card, larger harddrives and more memory.

Just curious SB, if they've lost a customer what are you switching to?

Yeah, I'm cool with it. I like the idea of leasing the software, especially since much of it is stuff I pretty much never use. The only one I personally will keep for the entire year is Premiere, and then on random occasion I'll lease additional software for just one month.

By the way, I hear that people who've been using Creative Cloud have been very happy with it. I suspect that this overall negative reaction is just a reflection of the urge to resist change, but once you get used to it, you might like it.

I have a feeling this is gonna work out quite well for Adobe. Yeah, they'll lose a small handful of customers, but I think many will stick around. And for every customer they lost, they probably are going to gain about ten reformed pirates. Arrgghh! Ahoy, matey! Thar blows an affordable subscription!

Wow. I changed to Creative Cloud last year because I was of forking out money every 12-24 months for the upgrades. It's software guys, it falls behind in awesomeness pretty quickly.

Also, all those students you get it for $29 or something a month and that works out at buying the new upgrade every 10 or so months assuming you got production premium AND you get all the programs. Australia production premium was ~$300 for student. For full around ~$500 from memory. Lets say you upgrade every time there is a new version, roughly 12-14months. 29x14= $406. AHEM, saving :D if you're lucky like me, sign up when they have their occasional random deals and you'll get 12 months with your subscription having $10-15 off a month.

it's the same with the full version, but even MORE significantly cheaper. As an Australian this might be more awesome compared to Americans. Up until (I think) 6 months ago, our monthly subscription was ~$12 more than yours. Our full master was several hundred, possibly even one thousand more than America's.

this sucks donkey balls

Wow. I changed to Creative Cloud last year because I was of forking out money every 12-24 months for the upgrades. It's software guys, it falls behind in awesomeness pretty quickly.

That's kind of my point. I only upgrade every few years, so it's a lot more money for me. Plus the deal breaker is most definitely the monthly internet connection. I don't want to run firewall or far worse, antivirus software on an editing machine. I'd lost 20%-40% of the CPU and RAM to bullshit software that has nothing to do with editing. I view an editing computer as a singular function device - not an all around PC.

Just curious SB, if they've lost a customer what are you switching to?

I'll switch back to AVID.

I absolutely recognize the benefits of the Cloud, they just don't benefit me at all. I use specialized hardware with MATROX, which already doesn't keep up 100% with Adobe upgrades - this new plan will completely screw that hardware over and it will turn into non-functioning editing every month with the tiniest upgrades.

Like all narrow minded changes like this, it will benefit some people and not others. It's just a shame that I'm going to leave a company I've believed in for 14 years.

That's kind of my point. I only upgrade every few years, so it's a lot more money for me. Plus the deal breaker is most definitely the monthly internet connection. I don't want to run firewall or far worse, antivirus software on an editing machine. I'd lost 20%-40% of the CPU and RAM to bullshit software that has nothing to do with editing. I view an editing computer as a singular function device - not an all around PC.

Fair point there about antivirus and stuff. The whole dedicated computer thing

I can certainly see how this change is basically a big FU to guys like Sonnyboo. And for that reason, I think it's kinda lame that they aren't allowing you to outright purchase software.

But for guys like me, this really is awesome. $20/mo gets me the best editing software available (there is an option to subscribe to just one individual piece of software), constantly being upgraded. And that comes with 20GB online storage, thereby negating any need for any monthly subscription to file-sharing hosts.

If I had a need for the full Creative Suite, I'd think $50 is not too shabby a price. And hey, did y'all notice that you can install on two computers? You know how some people share a netflix account with a roommate (or a non-living-with-close-friend)? Yeah, same applies here.

Split the cost with a friend, share an account, and we're both running the full Creative Suite for $25/mo. That's fucking rad. Sorry, Sonnyboo. I do see how this is something that benefits some, but not all. I'm one of those some.

Oh, and since it was mentioned, though this doesn't change things for guys like Sonnyboo (who use external editing hardware), you actually won't need to slow down your editing computer with lame-o antivirus software. You only need to check in once per month, and I can't imagine that'd take more than a minute. So, just disconnect from the internet the other 43,199 minutes of the month. And should you find yourself in danger of getting a virus, with one minute of connectivity per month, you really don't deserve to have a computer. :P

If I had a need for the full Creative Suite, I'd think $50 is not too shabby a price. And hey, did y'all notice that you can install on two computers? You know how some people share a netflix account with a roommate (or a non-living-with-close-friend)? Yeah, same applies here.

Split the cost with a friend, share an account, and we're both running the full Creative Suite for $25/mo. That's fucking rad. Sorry, Sonnyboo. I do see how this is something that benefits some, but not all. I'm one of those some.

I'm pretty sure that only can computer can have it active at one moment. So that would mean if you shared it with someone you can't both use the software at the same.... However switch off the Internet to one of them and you should be good.

Back