Adobe no longer selling software!

I am too, but it seems this could be very useful for collab projects. And as I understand it, you don't need to use the cloud, just connect it to the Internet on a monthly basis? (so you can still use your local files the old school way)

Correct, it's all the "normal" software with the addition of cloud storage if you want to use it.

Also, you were saying that you can use it on two computers? I can't see where this is mentioned on the adobe site, but theoretically there is nothing wrong with two people splitting the costs? I have photoshop friends who haven't updated in a fair while, so this could be pretty attractive. Although, since I can't find any info on this, I'm not sure if it still applies to the student package..

Technically the idea, like a lot of software, is it's licensed for one user's desktop and your laptop. One user, two computers.

There won't be any spot checks or people knocking on your door if you accidentally license it on a computer used by someone else.

I am too, but it seems this could be very useful for collab projects. And as I understand it, you don't need to use the cloud, just connect it to the Internet on a monthly basis? (so you can still use your local files the old school way)

If you purchase a year subscription it only needs to connect every few months, I think six months. Students can only get the monthly option, which you purchase for a year anyway but it only charges for each month when it happens, unlike a year subscription will charge the full few hundred for each year

The CC looks like a great move. You'll always have the most recent software and you can get the entire suite affordably.

Hey boo, the student/teacher price is $19.99, and also if you own CS3+ you can get it for $29.99 without being a student or teacher, but those offers end soon.

To the poster above, the yearly price is billed monthly, so yes, you have to connect at least once a month.

If the main motivation behind this move was to thwart pirates then that's a bad move IMO. They will always find a way to crack adobes stuff, yeah it may take longer now but they might as well just keep the option to buy outright still available.

IT, it says year you can use it up to 3months without internet connection, basically what I was trying to say when I said 6months.

"You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 3 months (99 days) even if you're offline."

http://www.adobe.com/au/products/creativecloud/faq.html

For all my photo editing needs, I use the open sourced GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). It's basically the same thing and it's legally free. And it's got a much simpler learning curve and looks just like Photoshop.

I am a bit disappointed about the monthly payment, but there are so many things creative cloud adds that makes up for it (like cloud sharing of media). Adobe also doesn't really have much competition, so I guess they can take that route if they want to. I'm fine with it for now. I paid 450 for the suite last October, but if I were paying 20$ a month, it would've only been 180 by now. The price difference for non students is even bigger. Consider not having to pay an upgrade price every year and you will probably end up spending a bit less money. I can see why people wouldn't like this, but I'm Ok with what they're doing.

Consider not having to pay an upgrade price every year and you will probably end up spending a bit less money.

That's also my point.... I DON'T upgrade every year. I would upgrade every 2 years, so this is exponentially more expensive, even at $20 a month - AND to have to connect my editing computers to the internet once a month (or at all) is unacceptable.

There are other options. Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, and others. I had never really wanted those as my primary editing as I have used them all, but preferred Adobe. Not now. They lost a 16 year paying customer.

Got the CC about a week ago and loving it. Good move by Adobe. I wouldn't have paid for the full sweet all at once. This is like a few beers a month and I have all the goods and updates. Kudos!

PS. Finally getting into Premiere.

I think subscrption models are the future for software tbh as doing this I assume is a measure against piracy.

Back