Achieving The "Film Look" With Video

For a while now i have been trying to achieve the elusive 'film look' with video... i went out the other day to get some practice shots, and this is what they turned out like.. just wanted opinions etc..

i think im getting there, but not quite there yet.

Here is the link to watch in HD: http://vimeo.com/2825297

Hey y'all I heard about this film effect filter plugins set called Nattress film effects. It's $100 for the whole set of effect plugins and it supposedly can make your video look like film. I'm not sure which effect though in their set is the "film look" one...anybody?

Can someone more technically knowledgeable than me go to their site and see if the effects make sense by their explanations?

Or perhaps could someone kindly enough just buy it and share it on filesharing or torrent site :) ?

Last edited:
Poopy! You can fake the 2 strip using a channel swap filter and pulling your blue from the green (or is it the other way around?). The 2-strip technicolor consisted of a red and a blue-green color process to reproduce semi-lifelike color. I like it because it gives a very old hollywood look. It's used stunningly in "High Society": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049314/

Lol, yeah, whatever it takes to stay in business. I bet they'll start saying that its the only way to really really get that film look.

Tbh, that really is the only way to get that film-look - shooting on film.

While the quality of digital cameras get better each quarter, there is simply nothing that can come close to that elusive feel that digital enthusiasts (and digital designers) are trying to emulate.

There's more to it than lens-adapters, lines of resolution, software plugins/addons to emulate, whatever.

It is just not possible to get that organic [bunny-quote]FILM LOOK[/bunny-quote] using anything else aside from film.

Film is dying, there's no denying. The incredible advances in digital media improves day to day. It is inevitable that digital will replace film.

That's not the same to say that digital will surpass what film offers.

When the vast majority of the paying viewing public are used to that "digital look", it's the day film's done.

There are so many people trying to duplicate film: Just shoot film!

There are also a tonne of people trying to make thing look good - you can do that in digital, too. It can look good, it can have fancy lenses, it can do all kinds of tricks to look like film... it simply just ain't.

In several years (I give it five), there won't be anyone even trying to find the difference. The people making this jump from what is acceptable for "film" will happily be accepting digital mediums as the way it always was.

_______

Back to the original video...

Nice work. Though I'd be double-timing it to the shore, once I caught a glimpse of anything bigger than a minnow! :eek:

Dolphin or Shark? I ain't sticking around to find out. :blush:

Back