ABC national news promotes Best 'worst movie'...

So there I am, taking a break from tweaking my next project on Final Draft. Flip on the news (cause I try to keep up on everything -- helps with my daily writing). Low and behold, ABC news, prime time, is promoting the best, 'worst movie' ever made. Selling out at theaters (and turning people away) -- so its making money... for being the worst movie ever! The Room.

So, I am wondering...
Wow, my first movie was really bad. Really bad! How do I find someone to market it? Make money? The Room cannot be the 'worse'... or can it? Anyone ever seen -- The Room? Gosh, let me know what you thought. Maybe someone out there would like to watch my first full-length feature (compare it with The Room) and market it, too. I have 4,500 printed covers, discs and DVDs in shrink wrapped cases taking up space in my basement. Kind of an embarassment of sorts (like the uncle no one mentions) -- but, if someone can sell them for a profit. My wife has been all over me to do 'something' with them.

ABC! How did the guy get that kind of free publicity without shooting someone?
I heard in the ABC clip, that the 'main man' -- Director, Producer, Actor, Writer, etc., spent 10 million? Wow. I only spent $14,000.00 (give or take a couple thousand) and two years of my life (and $10,000.00 of that was on making the DVDs)! And The Room is making a profit! Anyone got suggestions and comments? Love to hear em'.

LOL

stonepatterson

The NY Times had a huge article on it, a few months back.

There's apparently more college-kids going to see it regularly than the Rocky Horror Picture Show. :hmm:

I need to find the permanent billboard in Los Angeles with the guy's face on it. It sounds pretty sinister. :cool:

I guess it's a combination of self-marketing and just plain getting lucky.

Good luck with your film. :)

I've seen it screened in a theater with a bunch of college students... It's alot like MST3K live or Rocky. Just a shared horrible experience so ends up being fun. The fact that Tommy W. seems to contend that his film is the best thing ever commited to the cinema seems to be a major selling point. He's completely clueless in his interviews that he's made a bad movie.

Best Worst Movie is a great promotional gimick that is newsworthy. Sure there's lots of bad no-budget movies shot on video out there but apparently they spend a few hundred thousand dollars on this thing and shot it on film.

I tend to despise this sort of trend...mass celebrations of crap. Making fun of the horrible singers on American Idol, gathering to watch a horrible movie, celebrating someone who cooks every recipe in the Julia Child cookbook and then blogs about it. These aren't things worth celebrating. Imagine if we spent all that time celebrating good, unique, interesting cinema? Promoting risk taking and learning? Not that I don't like to have fun, but this sort of easy time wasting seems to happen with more regularity until it becomes celebrated in and of itself.

However, now I'm insanely intrigued and want to see how bad it is for myself, so what do I know?

I've never heard of The Room.

However, there is a documentary called "The Best Worst Movie: Troll 2.

The local film festival was going to get it, but lost it at the last minute. Apparently as a documentary, the making of Troll 2 is a good film.

I remember seeing part of Troll 1. Yeesh....

-- spinner :cool:

I tend to despise this sort of trend...mass celebrations of crap. Making fun of the horrible singers on American Idol, gathering to watch a horrible movie, celebrating someone who cooks every recipe in the Julia Child cookbook and then blogs about it. These aren't things worth celebrating. Imagine if we spent all that time celebrating good, unique, interesting cinema? Promoting risk taking and learning?

Doing that would imply and require that you...(gasp!) think!

-- spinner :cool:

haha. I remember on April fools night , Adult Swim played it and It really was just horrible.

Of course they played it just for that reason. But I remember seeing the Tommy W the next day on Tim and Eric...and couldn't help think that this dude is only a joke really. I mean the acting and concept of the movie is SO bad I couldn't help but laugh.

I got to watch it this weekend. (A friend saw the news, and bought it)

It's really terrible. Got a few chuckles out of some of the more horrific acting & dialogue parts, but I have no idea how anyone could sit through it twice, let alone revere it as the new cult-classic.

Watched the bts footage, too. Apparently the producer/director/writer/star didn't know the difference between 35mm & HD - so he used both cameras, strapped together side by side. No idea how his DP decided that it was a good idea. :huh:

The guy's got more money than brains, is my theory.

Overblown & overhyped.

It ends with the cliché that all noobie-writers get beaten down on for doing... the ol' put-gun-to-the-head trick, which resolves absolutely nothing.
:rolleyes:

Meh, waste of 90 minutes tbh.

I tend to despise this sort of trend...mass celebrations of crap. Making fun of the horrible singers on American Idol, gathering to watch a horrible movie, celebrating someone who cooks every recipe in the Julia Child cookbook and then blogs about it. These aren't things worth celebrating. Imagine if we spent all that time celebrating good, unique, interesting cinema? Promoting risk taking and learning? Not that I don't like to have fun, but this sort of easy time wasting seems to happen with more regularity until it becomes celebrated in and of itself.

I think that you bugged my house... You've cited my daily rant almost verbatim. :lol:

Troll 2 is really bad, seriously the worst acting ever. I watched the trailer of The Room. While it is completely laughablke, because it's so cheesy and has bad effects, it's nowhere near as bad a Troll 2. Yeah I'd definately say that troll 2 is still the worst movie ever.

However, now I'm insanely intrigued and want to see how bad it is for myself, so what do I know?

I agree.

Just like the new box office smash coming out starring Debbie Gibson -

Megashark vs. Giant Octopus !

...Facepalm.

Back