A question on shooting locations

Its been a while since I've been on here but I thought I would hit all of you up with a small snag in terms of shooting location.

I got a small film project going. Non profit. 10 min short film. I've have a gun battle sequence that I would like to shoot at a local gravel pit owned by a excavator company. I've already approached two companies out of the four locations that I would like to shoot. I've talked with the secretary from both companies and gave her my business card and told her a few details and I get the "I will have him get a hold of you," line. Now maybe they are too busy and what not. Should I maybe try again and see if I can talk to them? My friend suggested that maybe the reason why I haven't heard from them is because of liability issues for having a small film crew down in the gravel pit and after thinking about it I agreed.

The gravel pits thats I'd like to shoot at are huge with very little equipment out there. Should I put together some kind of proposal maybe? How do all of you go about shooting at locations that are owned by businesses? The film shoot for this action sequence would take a day for us to film.

You should keep trying.

Are you planning on carrying any insurance? If not
are you hoping that the location owner will insure your
production while you are there? Since you ask about
putting together some kind of proposal do I take that
to mean you didn't have a proposal when you first
spoke to the secretary? That might be why they haven't
gotten back to you. I think you should have a full proposal
with EVERYTHING before you approach the next two on
your list.

My advice is to go in person. Either call again and ask the secretary to make an appointment, or else just show up and wait around as long as it takes (I met the president of Poland this way).

If there are liability issues, you should definitely get insurance. There's no reason they should be worried if you are insured. You will only need to be insured for the days you are shooting. There are companies that specialize in insuring films, do a google search.

Hope that's what you were looking for :)

You should keep trying.

Are you planning on carrying any insurance? If not
are you hoping that the location owner will insure your
production while you are there? Since you ask about
putting together some kind of proposal do I take that
to mean you didn't have a proposal when you first
spoke to the secretary? That might be why they haven't
gotten back to you. I think you should have a full proposal
with EVERYTHING before you approach the next two on
your list.

No I didn't have a proposal written up. What I wanted to do was talk to the owner face to face. Do a walkthrough so I can describe to him what the scene entails.

No I didn't have a proposal written up. What I wanted to do was talk to the owner face to face. Do a walkthrough so I can describe to him what the scene entails.

If the owner is not a filmmaker, it's pretty likely that he won't care about a walk-through. He'll want to see time and numbers and what's in it for him. If he seems interested, then you can try and sell him by way of a walk-through, but be prepared to just give him the straight line.

If I were a property owner, I'd want to know exactly when you'd be there, how many people and vehicles you were bringing, how long the shoot was expected to take, where exactly on the property you intended to shoot, what kind of provisions if any you've made for power sources, whether you have insurance, I'd want professional references, I'd want to know whether you intend to touch or approach any heavy equipment, and I'd want you to sign a hold-harmless release form.

that's just off the top of my head.

Since you are the one approaching them, you'll have to do the followup. If you hear nothing after your initial contact, keep trying. They have other things on their desk to worry about, I'm sure.

Good luck!

Dready and Adeimantus are right.

You might not be entirely ready to approach property owners,
leetv. Property owners aren’t at all interested in what shot you
need or what the scene entails as long as you aren’t doing
anything illegal. They want to know how you will be using their
property.

It’s been covered; shoot date, exactly how many people will be
there, the time you will arrive, the time you leave, what will be
on their property. You say you‘re shooting a gun battle. Are you
using blanks? Are you using modified fake guns? Will there be any
explosives used? Do you know the laws of making a movie with guns
on private property? Have you complied with all the rules?

You didn’t answer my insurance questions.

I suppose you’re hoping they will let you use their property for
free. What if they need to have a “babysitter” on hand? Can you
pay for that person’s time or are you hoping the company will
cover that? Non profit or not, you will be costing the property
owner some money.

It can be done. You just need to be very, very prepared. Dropping
of a business card and a few details will likely continue to get you
the "I will have him get a hold of you," line over and over.

Dready and Adeimantus are right.

You might not be entirely ready to approach property owners,
leetv. Property owners aren’t at all interested in what shot you
need or what the scene entails as long as you aren’t doing
anything illegal. They want to know how you will be using their
property.

It’s been covered; shoot date, exactly how many people will be
there, the time you will arrive, the time you leave, what will be
on their property. You say you‘re shooting a gun battle. Are you
using blanks? Are you using modified fake guns? Will there be any
explosives used? Do you know the laws of making a movie with guns
on private property? Have you complied with all the rules?

You didn’t answer my insurance questions.

I suppose you’re hoping they will let you use their property for
free. What if they need to have a “babysitter” on hand? Can you
pay for that person’s time or are you hoping the company will
cover that? Non profit or not, you will be costing the property
owner some money.

It can be done. You just need to be very, very prepared. Dropping
of a business card and a few details will likely continue to get you
the "I will have him get a hold of you," line over and over.

I hadn't thought about the insurance deal. But I do like the hold-harmless release form idea. Found the form online via google. The weapons used in the gun battle are all airsoft guns. But yes I was unprepared but now I know what information to provide for the owner when I am able to meet with him. Thanks for the suggestions guys

A hold harmless release is worthless. Sorry, Adeimantus. I'm a
property owner who allows filmmakers to use my land and cabin. I
would never, ever allow anyone to shoot without insurance. A
simple trip resulting in a twisted ankle could, potentially,
trigger a lawsuit. I might very well win, but without insurance on
the people on my property I could still be out thousands if not
tens of thousands of dollars to defend myself. Even if I had each
and every person sign a release, someone can still sue.

Not worth it. Especially if I'm donating my place.

A hold harmless release is worthless. Sorry, Adeimantus. I'm a
property owner who allows filmmakers to use my land and cabin. I
would never, ever allow anyone to shoot without insurance. A
simple trip resulting in a twisted ankle could, potentially,
trigger a lawsuit. I might very well win, but without insurance on
the people on my property I could still be out thousands if not
tens of thousands of dollars to defend myself. Even if I had each
and every person sign a release, someone can still sue.

Not worth it. Especially if I'm donating my place.

They can still sue though but its a lost battle because of the signed document, correct? It would be different if it was a verbal agreement because it would be our word against the owner. Where as a signed agreement can be presented in court. If anyone on my crew got hurt they could try and sue but they have no upperhand in their argument because of the signed hold harmless agreement.

They can still sue though but its a lost battle because of the signed document, correct? It would be different if it was a verbal agreement because it would be our word against the owner. Where as a signed agreement can be presented in court. If anyone on my crew got hurt they could try and sue but they have no upperhand in their argument because of the signed hold harmless agreement.

Well, technically a contract is only valid (as in, will hold up in court) if it has been notarized.

I'm a massage therapist and my intake sheet has one of those little liability clauses. It really only serves as a deterrent (not that anyone has ever sued a massage therapist), I know I can't actually use it as a legal document in court.

But defending yourself in a law suit costs money. Even
if you win, it costs money. And in most cases, a hold
harmless agreement is legally worthless. A property
owner has the legal obligation to keep anyone on their
property safe. A good lawyer, seeing some good money,
can get around a signed agreement like that.

If the location owner will accept a signed agreement rather
than insurance, then you're fine. It won't be up to you, it
will be up to the owner of the location. Better also check
into insurance in case the owner fully understand the local
laws.

Went and talked with the guy that owns the gravel pit that I want to film at. I pitched him my idea. He said he doesn't mind that we go film there. He did ask if I had insurance. I told him no. He brought up the hold harmless agreement. He's gonna talk to his insurance carrier on drawing up that agreement and he will get back to me. Its lookin pretty good awww yeeeah!

I had a similar experience with the hold harmless agreements, they seem to be enough of an encouragement to property owners, especially BIG ones with law staff. If they offer you that option, then take it, its doesn't hurt you any. Now, keep in mind your in the sites too. If your crew gets hurt on YOUR job, the insurance companies are going to look to recover cost... following the money, there going to first go to the property owner, seeing a battle there, they might just go for you.

Oh, hell yes. I didn't mean to suggest a signed statement absolving the property owner of liability was sufficient protection. But it's a nice little thing to have in one's pocket BESIDES proof of insurance coverage.

Back