A Production Diary

Diary Entry One

I'm currently in pre-production for my film school final piece, a ten minute short film that I'm shooting at the end of this month. Anyhow I thought it would be helpful for me, and for others, if I kept a production diary of all the things that go wrong (and right) in the pre-production, production and post production processes.

So let me start...

The film is currently titled 'Woolies' and is based on the closure of the shops in the Woolworths chain at the tail end of 2008 and start of 2009.

In its self this has raised one immediate problem. Location. As a rule people tend to recommend that people who are doing short films on a tight budget don't do period pieces. What they tend to be referring to is stuff set during the reign of Henry VII, during the Victorian Era or during the Great Depression. But it could extend up to the 60s, 70s and even up to the 90s.

But you'd think you'd be pretty safe with a couple of years ago and I reckon that most people would be. But now I have to create a chain of shops that no longer exist and that's not so easy. All of the shops in the UK have now been replaced, mainly by things like Poundland and Wilkinsons, and this has meant that getting my mitts on an empty shop isn't proving easy. I contacted one locations manager who had a perfect location but for £1500-£2500 per day... that's a little bit too dear for my tastes...

Hopefully I can wangle a decent location off the West London Film Office who are operated by the council and therefore shouldn't (although everything I know about the council tells me they will) try to take too much of my precious budget.

The second road block is actors. I popped casting calls up on Casting Call Pro and Talent Circle (two of the biggest actor directories in the UK) and received about 150 applications. I have arbitrarily whittled these down to about 15 actors that I want to audition for two of my four roles.

I have also been using Spotlight (the UKs top agented (if that's a word) actors directory) to contact the agents of various actors whose faces I'd recognise. I've been surprised how many agents have got back to me within a couple of hours saying that their client might be interested and can I send a script through. I doubt I'll be able to get any of these actors but, all the same, it's an encouraging phenomenon.

So on Wednesday I'll be auditioning my actors and hopefully by then I'll have a better idea of locations. What will I do if I can't get an actual shop? I don't know. I don't want to consider it. What do people recommend? I have a sound stage at my disposal and could, hypothetically, build some sort of set on it but that seems kind of tricky.

Please feel free to offer me advice and criticism as I journey through the experience of this short film. I have the majority of equipment provided by the school (although I'll address additional equipment rental in another post) and also a professional DOP (which is great) but other than that they're pretty useless. Hopefully this thread will be interesting for people in my position to see what sort of problems they can avoid and, hopefully, how to overcome others...

Last edited:
Hey again guys!

Sorry for being slow to reply to this thread. Thanks for the help/advice.

I'm going to give the credits a shot myself. Basically I want the names to flash up one at a time diagonally across the screen. Not 100% sure how to achieve this but I guess that's part of the learning process.

I screened my first cut on Friday and it looks pretty decent. I now need to get the sound cleaned up a wee bit and then, when my composer gets back from a choral tour of India, get some music on there. The last thing that the school arranges for you- when everything else is edited- is a day in one of their editing suites with a professional grader. Hopefully that will be productive.

I'm a little apprehensive that my editing is not too great but there's nothing I can do about that now. I'm definitely not the worst editor I know but I've set myself quite high standards, so every time I do something in a slightly cack handed sort of way I get a bit frustrated. For those of you who've read the script it's the last scene that's really getting on my nerves as I'm a bit disappointed with our coverage of the scene at the time. Hopefully with some post work I can smooth over the cracks there.

But anyway it's all fun and exciting stuff!

You could always create 1920x1080 (or whatever your comp size) still images of each 'slide' or 'card' as it were. Then you just put each in for the proper duration and fade in and out as you please.

That's the way I would do it at least, if I couldn't find an easy way in the program.

Dready's method would definitely work. I think eventually you need to learn how to use titles from within FCP, because it's nice and easy for stuff like sub-titles. Or, what if you want your credits as a layer on top of moving video? That would be done entirely within FCP. But for a quick-fix, Dready's method will work just fine.

I do know how to use titles in FCP, I've had to do the opening credits and that's been fine because I've just been overlaying the text onto some of the footage I shot.

The difficulty is that I want a specific thing from my end credits where I have four names on a each screen but I want them to fade in one by one until all four are on screen. That's the problem with Dready's method - I won't be able to get one of the names to stay there but the other to fade in...etc.

I've looked up tutorials but most say that i should be doing it in Motion and, frankly, I'm not that brave! But I'm going to give it a go anyway. Credits are by far the least important part of the film, I just don't want to make them look terrible.

Thanks for the help guys... I'll let you know how it goes once I've given it a go...

The difficulty is that I want a specific thing from my end credits where I have four names on a each screen but I want them to fade in one by one until all four are on screen. That's the problem with Dready's method - I won't be able to get one of the names to stay there but the other to fade in...etc.

I think you can still accomplish this using stills by having multiple still layers and using masking so you can have separate keyframes of fading in and out. If you'd like I can go step by step how I'd do this, but I think it's pretty common sense once you try it out. :)

I do know how to use titles in FCP, I've had to do the opening credits and that's been fine because I've just been overlaying the text onto some of the footage I shot.

I've looked up tutorials but most say that i should be doing it in Motion and, frankly, I'm not that brave! But I'm going to give it a go anyway. Credits are by far the least important part of the film, I just don't want to make them look terrible.

Thanks for the help guys... I'll let you know how it goes once I've given it a go...

Oh, ok. In this case, I think Dready's method is the way to go, actually. It will take slightly longer, but only by literally a few minutes.

If you've got 4 names on the screen at a time, you begin by making a high-res title with all four names. Then, simply delete one of the names, and fill the space in with black. Now you've got three names, save-as a new file. Do again with two names, then one, etc. Then, in FCP, simply do a straight fade from one name, to two, to three, etc.

Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!

Oh, ok. In this case, I think Dready's method is the way to go, actually. It will take slightly longer, but only by literally a few minutes.

If you've got 4 names on the screen at a time, you begin by making a high-res title with all four names. Then, simply delete one of the names, and fill the space in with black. Now you've got three names, save-as a new file. Do again with two names, then one, etc. Then, in FCP, simply do a straight fade from one name, to two, to three, etc.

Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!

Exactly! Thankyou for writing what I'm beginning to be too drunk to write. :P

Damn you all! :D

Well, I'll give it a go but if I'm killed in the process I'm holding the three of you responsible.

In related difficulties: My rough cut file was exported and is 2.5 GB in size. I have Compressor but am unsure how to actually go about compressing or, quite frankly, why that file was so large in the first place... any clues?

Much obliged as always! I'm aiming to get a rough cut on Vimeo so if anyone wants a link and a password just let me know.

Also if anyone knows good ways that I can send this file to people who are not in my immediate vicinity that would be appreciated!

You guys are swell (in advance)...

I'm reading your diary entries, as if performed by Ms. Divine's diary-writing character Anastasia. :cool:

Looking foward to seeing the finished film. :)

edit: email me the Vimeo when it's avail.

Aw shucks Zen :)

I'll be sending you (and everyone else. Well, not everyone. You get what I mean) the Vimeo as soon as I find out a way to compress the file for upload.

These started out as very coherent, structured diary entries and have descended into inane ramblings and desperate problem solving! I'll be sure to add a more intelligent diary entry as soon as I smooth out these little issues...

Also looking forward to seeing it! There's a good tutorial for exporting from Compressor to Vimeo here.

Thanks for this link.

At first it seemed to solve all my problems.

But then I remembered that technology (and I include all technology in this) is not built for people who don't understand it. Therefore even after following his tutorial step by step I have no idea how to actually compress the stupid file.

I created the droplet (I even put it on my desktop) but when I drag the movie file on to it, press 'submit' on the pop up and wait, it produces a file that can't be read by Quicktime or VLC...

I don't know what I'm doing wrong :( Please help me, I'm descending into a deep depression that occurs every time I realise that technology is actively working against me (which is very often...)

Back