A Production Diary

Diary Entry One

I'm currently in pre-production for my film school final piece, a ten minute short film that I'm shooting at the end of this month. Anyhow I thought it would be helpful for me, and for others, if I kept a production diary of all the things that go wrong (and right) in the pre-production, production and post production processes.

So let me start...

The film is currently titled 'Woolies' and is based on the closure of the shops in the Woolworths chain at the tail end of 2008 and start of 2009.

In its self this has raised one immediate problem. Location. As a rule people tend to recommend that people who are doing short films on a tight budget don't do period pieces. What they tend to be referring to is stuff set during the reign of Henry VII, during the Victorian Era or during the Great Depression. But it could extend up to the 60s, 70s and even up to the 90s.

But you'd think you'd be pretty safe with a couple of years ago and I reckon that most people would be. But now I have to create a chain of shops that no longer exist and that's not so easy. All of the shops in the UK have now been replaced, mainly by things like Poundland and Wilkinsons, and this has meant that getting my mitts on an empty shop isn't proving easy. I contacted one locations manager who had a perfect location but for £1500-£2500 per day... that's a little bit too dear for my tastes...

Hopefully I can wangle a decent location off the West London Film Office who are operated by the council and therefore shouldn't (although everything I know about the council tells me they will) try to take too much of my precious budget.

The second road block is actors. I popped casting calls up on Casting Call Pro and Talent Circle (two of the biggest actor directories in the UK) and received about 150 applications. I have arbitrarily whittled these down to about 15 actors that I want to audition for two of my four roles.

I have also been using Spotlight (the UKs top agented (if that's a word) actors directory) to contact the agents of various actors whose faces I'd recognise. I've been surprised how many agents have got back to me within a couple of hours saying that their client might be interested and can I send a script through. I doubt I'll be able to get any of these actors but, all the same, it's an encouraging phenomenon.

So on Wednesday I'll be auditioning my actors and hopefully by then I'll have a better idea of locations. What will I do if I can't get an actual shop? I don't know. I don't want to consider it. What do people recommend? I have a sound stage at my disposal and could, hypothetically, build some sort of set on it but that seems kind of tricky.

Please feel free to offer me advice and criticism as I journey through the experience of this short film. I have the majority of equipment provided by the school (although I'll address additional equipment rental in another post) and also a professional DOP (which is great) but other than that they're pretty useless. Hopefully this thread will be interesting for people in my position to see what sort of problems they can avoid and, hopefully, how to overcome others...

Last edited:
I've just spent the past twenty-minutes going through our books/emails to find the details for a Carpenter/Theatre set design guy we know of, only to realise he's Northern based. Forgot we're not in Cambridge anymore.

As Joseph said, it's very, very tough to construct a set on low-budget that is ultimately convincing. "Shooting on Location" was the "new" thing, once upon a time it was cheaper than setwork, where as now, the two compete for the buck.

This is a real tough one, Nick. My gut feeling is telling me for you to hold out for a location, purely because having read the material, whether you've acquired the other locations or not, the store is the core. The ending has to have that picture of "hope", and i'm not sure anything but a brilliantly crafted set is going to be sufficient, so i'm always going to be swayed toward an authentic location.

Stores are damn hard to get a hold of, the area managers have always got someone to answer to and wouldn't dare take the risk of anything happening to the store, that's not going to change. You have to go independent, and perhaps "tweak" the material, atleast that's what i feel would be the wise decision.

Perhaps "Woolies" is a small vintage store, a trinket store, a charity shop, an independent clothes store, a gadget store, a spice shop...the essence is still there, it's conceivable that many of the scenes/characters are still plausable, and perhaps, even if the store is smaller than you imagined, it was "Last man standing" in a battle that inevitably shrunk the business to its untimely demise.

The above are feasable workarounds that from what i can gather, are faithful to the material.

Last edited:
A friend of a friend in London is doing some kind of theatre production/set design internship at the moment - let me know if she could be any use and I'll try and get hold of contact details for you.

I'm thinking that, worst comes to worst, I could change the setting and make it allegorical rather than a direct interpretation of the events at Woolworths. But that would really change the film for me and it's definitely not what I want to do.

I'm going to keep hunting for locations because, as you say PTP, it's a location that's at the heart of the film and is, in many ways, the fifth character in it. But I'm steadily losing hope- the empty shop + shop fittings business is not thriving. I've contacted a bunch of London council authorities but they represent very few council owned shop spaces.

@chilipie: If you get contact details that would be amazing, just so that I could broach the possibility with someone who vaguely understands what they're doing! Don't worry if it's too much trouble, but that could be useful!

Thanks for the help and advice guys, I appreciate it and will endeavour to keep you updated. I'm crewing on a classmates film this weekend so I'm hoping to do a bit of early learning on how I go about shooting my film next weekend.

:)

I'm thinking that, worst comes to worst, I could change the setting and make it allegorical rather than a direct interpretation of the events at Woolworths. But that would really change the film for me and it's definitely not what I want to do.

I'm going to keep hunting for locations because, as you say PTP, it's a location that's at the heart of the film and is, in many ways, the fifth character in it. But I'm steadily losing hope- the empty shop + shop fittings business is not thriving. I've contacted a bunch of London council authorities but they represent very few council owned shop spaces.

@chilipie: If you get contact details that would be amazing, just so that I could broach the possibility with someone who vaguely understands what they're doing! Don't worry if it's too much trouble, but that could be useful!

Thanks for the help and advice guys, I appreciate it and will endeavour to keep you updated. I'm crewing on a classmates film this weekend so I'm hoping to do a bit of early learning on how I go about shooting my film next weekend.

:)

Keep trucking, bud.

P.S Doing us a favour against Spurs tomorrow wouldn't go a miss, either.

Diary Entry Four

Well, my shoot is now three days away and I would say I am 75% ready. This, in my opinion, is not great, given how little time I have left. There are certain things that have just about fallen into place, things that have always been fairly in place and things that still aren't in place. It's this last category in particular that's bothering me (unsurprisingly!).

Over the weekend, today and tomorrow I have been helping crew on my classmates films, first as Assistant Director and then as Production Designer. Whilst this has been fun and informative it's also eaten into my pre-production time and meant that I've spent half these shoots tapping away at my iPad but unable to arrange meetings, viewings or get any of the real business done. I've mentioned before that the location is my biggest problem and, in the end, I've decided to settle for second best. My Dad is moving offices at the end of next month so his office is all packed into boxes and pretty much empty, therefore I've decided that it's a usable space for the film (it's actually quite large). This also means that I can avoid incurring the (potentially) large fees for using either private or council owned locations. But it's also not perfect and I can't get inside to dress it until Friday evening, so there'll be a mad rush before Saturday morning.

I've just finished my risk assessment and call sheets and sent them off for review. This is for the benefit of my film school who cover me with public liability insurance so long as I complete all the relevant paperwork- but here I come to my main problem. I held off doing the call sheets because I hoped that I might be able to find a shop location but was aware that I might only be able to get it for a day. My two favourite actors for one role could only do the Sunday, so I had to wait until I had location confirmation before I offered either of them the part. That confirmation only really came through at the weekend, by which time both had been offered other work. I saw a few other actors at audition for this part but none of them were really right for it and the one I was willing to settle for out of them already has another job for the weekend... so basically, once again, I am in a bit of a cul-de-sac...

That said- I've just had a phone call (literally just, as in whilst I've been writing this) from my executive producer (*cough* Mommy *cough*) who has been in touch with one of her friends who is a professional actor and who is going to see what he can do to help. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow whether that road is leading anywhere and in the meantime I'll try and make provision for all other eventualities...

Not terribly interesting but this is a photo of me manually bolting down the tracks on our Wally Dolly at the weekend!

MyHipstaPrint0.jpg

My shoot is now two days away. Prop buying today, set dressing and kit collection tomorrow. Dealings with actors, DOP, sound recordist...etc in the meantime...

I've been enjoying this, Nick. Thanks again.

Cheers Dr.Vader! I'm having fun as well ;)

Papertwinproductions said:
Is that my good man Chesney, or Ric working the boom?

'tis neither! 'tis your third suggestion, a certain Mr. Joe Harris! :D

Missed the football today but seeing Scotty Parker start for England gave me all the energy I needed for the shoot (even if the cricket made me sad :( )

Thanks again guys, I can't wait to see how this turns out (although perhaps I should be the one who knows already?)!

Cheers Dr.Vader! I'm having fun as well ;)

'tis neither! 'tis your third suggestion, a certain Mr. Joe Harris! :D

Missed the football today but seeing Scotty Parker start for England gave me all the energy I needed for the shoot (even if the cricket made me sad :( )

Thanks again guys, I can't wait to see how this turns out (although perhaps I should be the one who knows already?)!

No fricken way. Excellent! We never got the chance to work with, Joe. Our schedules never met. How is he doing?

Have you contacted my reccomendation for the title sequence?

Parker played a blinder, typically solid game. I'm more pleased that Andy didn't feature, the last thing we need is the big man getting injured.

I'm really impressed with your turn around, Nick. Two weeks ago I read it, you still had a thousand things to do, and here you are.

Congrats, my man!

Diary Entry Five

Well the shoot (and everything that comes with it) is in the bag. We raced through the material and actually finished before schedule on both days. That was quite useful because there was a lot of tidying up to be done! All I can say is that the actors were all great and really easy to work with and the crew, both my classmates and the professionals we got in, were an excellent team and seemed to enjoy the process.

IMG_0867.jpg

The main problem over the course of the weekend was caused by the protests in London and their f****** vuvuzelas! Not to mention the helicopters circling the area following the marchers. Still the sound we got was decent enough and that was a problem on Saturday. Basically the weekend was spent having touching conversations, eating Pick n Mix and dressing sets in various paraphernalia (including a Christmas tree!). The DOP and I decided, a couple of weeks ago, that we were going to shoot the whole thing handheld on the Sony EX3 and this worked really well with the material. There was one timelapse shot that we decided to do on my Canon 550D in order to get the depth of field (it's also our only shot on legs) and that was another good decision because it looks really cool.

IMG_0873.jpg

Tomorrow, after returning the kit, I'm going to begin editing this piece. Once edited I'm sending it off to have the sound cleaned up a bit and foley popped it. The next step is to get the footage to my composer to add the music and in the meantime get the grading done as well as animating the credits sequence. The school want a rough cut assembled for a screening at the end of this week but I suspect that's overly ambitious. I'll show what I've got but I'm not going to rush this, it's taken too much effort to be anything less than 'pretty good'!

Thanks for the support guys (and gal)! :D

I've been a little remiss in updating this because I've been powering through the editing. I've got an hour long creative editing review tomorrow at the school where I want to have a rough cut ready so I can find out, from a professional editor, which bits I should keep, lose or trim. Then on Friday we have our screenings!

Suffice it to say that my film will not nearly be ready by then. I spoke with my composer today, an old friend, and we decided we would put off scoring the film until he returned from a choral tour of India which leaves on Friday and lasts for ten days. In the meantime I'm going to finish editing, send the footage off for some audio post work and do a bit of colour correction.

I've also got to work out how to do credits. I'm using FCP and I consider myself, just about, competent. But I can't work out how to make end credits that flash up, one name at a time, only the scrolly ones. Should I be doing this in motion? If anyone wants to design me a title/credit sequence they would have my eternal gratitude.

But, yes, this project is progressing fairly well and whilst not perfect I have fairly high hopes that I'll have a decent film on my hands. When I've got the few little pieces put together I might pop it up on Vimeo, password protected, for a limited amount of time so that I can get some feedback from you knowledgeable peeps on here!

Peace! :cool:

I've also got to work out how to do credits. I'm using FCP and I consider myself, just about, competent. But I can't work out how to make end credits that flash up, one name at a time, only the scrolly ones. Should I be doing this in motion? If anyone wants to design me a title/credit sequence they would have my eternal gratitude.
:

Have you contaced Emannuel?

He said he was very much up for working with you last time i heard.

If FCP works the same as Premiere, in this respect (I imagine it probably does), each name would be a new title. You should definitely learn where and how to do this, from withing FCP, but if you're feeling swamped, I don't mind knocking one out for you. Once you've where what to do, it's just a few minutes. PM me, if you want it done.

I don't mind knocking one out for you.

Wanker :D

Nick: at the bottom of the Viewer there should be an icon of an A on a frame of film - click this and you'll get a drop down menu. For a simple title go Text -> Text, or Boris -> Title 3D. I usually prefer the latter as its a bit more customisable (but is more fiddly to use for a quick mockup).

Back