• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A 20 second short film

According to the rules it shouldn't be more than 20 seconds which I find way too short to convey this story and I thought the fast speed was in sync with the theme.

Glad you liked it! :)

I don't understand what is happening when it changes to b/w

Is that supposed to be a shot, from a different angle, of a previous pickpocketing that we've already seen?

Or is it changing to b/w because the previous encounters have resolved themselves, and this is supposed to be a "the story repeats itself in new situations..." kind of thing?

According to the rules it shouldn't be more than 20 seconds which I find way too short to convey this story

What I have always loved about these restrictions is finding
a story that fits. Not so much using a story that cannot fit in
20 seconds. That's my criticism of your movie; you didn't use
the limitations creatively.

I like the fact that it was 20 seconds. I also liked the unique vehicles in the shot. Not much else. Sorry.
----------

Good luck though.

You could've thought of another idea or concept that can perfectly fit in the 20 sec limitation. This just didn't work for me. It looks like you crammed too much info into that time frame which can cause some confusion.

And to be honest, I had to rewatch it 3 more times to finally get the story. It's pretty funny, but if your audience doesn't get that story in one watching, then there's a problem. IDK, but that's just me.

No harsh feelings. These criticisms would only make us filmmakers better! :))

Best,
Justin

You could've thought of another idea or concept that can perfectly fit in the 20 sec limitation. This just didn't work for me. It looks like you crammed too much info into that time frame which can cause some confusion.

And to be honest, I had to rewatch it 3 more times to finally get the story. It's pretty funny, but if your audience doesn't get that story in one watching, then there's a problem. IDK, but that's just me.

No harsh feelings. These criticisms would only make us filmmakers better! :))

Best,
Justin

Exactly my feelings Justin! Thanks for watching. I post here only to get nice criticism so that I can improve.:)

GuerrillaAngel and Directorik, thanks for watching :)

I don't understand what is happening when it changes to b/w

Is that supposed to be a shot, from a different angle, of a previous pickpocketing that we've already seen?

Or is it changing to b/w because the previous encounters have resolved themselves, and this is supposed to be a "the story repeats itself in new situations..." kind of thing?

I took it as a flashback to the action that had already happened. Which I'm sure it is ;)

Thanks Dlevanchuk! Glad you liked it.

Could you specify what part of filmmaking technique you didn't like and where can I improve upon?

Let me guess, you first filmed the short, edited it, and noticed that it was too long, so you decides to cut the shots tighter . Still too long, then you figured you could speed it up to fit the time limit. ;)

There are two problems I see with doing this.
1. You didn't stretch out shots long enough to speed them up. What used to be a 3 second shot now became a flash if some poorly edited frame. You ve got to have longer shots if you want to speed up the action. In your preproduction you should figure how fast you want to speed up the shot, and how much longer do you need the shot to be. What was 3 second shot now needs to be 8.

2. Because you shot this with panning and sped up the footage - all of your camera moves became hard to watch weird twitches. Again, in preproduction you should have figured to use the steady tripod.

But as I said it was a pretty funny story. Just spend more time in preproduction ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Let me guess, you first filmed the short, edited it, and noticed that it was too long, so you decides to cut the shots tighter . Still too long, then you figured you could speed it up to fit the time limit. ;)

There are two problems I see with doing this.
1. You didn't stretch out shots long enough to speed them up. What used to be a 3 second shot now became a flash if some poorly edited frame. You ve got to have longer shots if you want to speed up the action. In your preproduction you should figure how fast you want to speed up the shot, and how much longer do you need the shot to be. What was 3 second shot now needs to be 8.

2. Because you shot this with panning and sped up the footage - all of your camera moves became hard to watch weird twitches. Again, in preproduction you should have figured to use the steady tripod.

But as I said it was a pretty funny story. Just spend more time in preproduction ;)

Good luck!
Point taken :)
thanks!

Back