48hr Film Project pre-prod?

Hi all,
Iv decided to jump in with both feet and either join or form a team for an upcoming 48hr film project.
For those who don't know, the rules stipulate no creative work outside the 48hr window, so at this stage is JUST planning.

http://www.48hourfilm.com/portland_oregon/

I'm looking for tips, pointers, and any suggestions..

I need to set a deadline on when I will decided to form my OWN team (or not). Are there a limited number of slots for these things?

M1chael,
why did they accuse you of cheating, that's pretty interesting. What was their manner like and what was their case?

* The composite explosions, muzzle flash, bullet impacts, and bullet holes...all too much to take on for a 48hr.

* The wardrobe believe it or not.

* The number of locations.

Those are really the only thing you can bring up. And it's all BS--our team consistently puts out a feature film a year, and they always see distribution. It's the directors 9th feature. Clearly we know how to make movies.

The obvious reason they thought we were cheating (other than the phone call), and why there were major politics involved is we only took home 'Best Editing'...and should have absolutely taken home 'Best sFX'...do you know what won Best sFX? A black and white movie that had a simple ghost effect in it...a transparent person. It beat out our composite work...total and complete BS. From that point on, I lost interest in 'awards' at the 48s.

Last edited:
I'm drooling over this thread! 5 Stars.

Ok, my only advice would be to have two computers if you can. So if you need to do any rendering as you go you can send the files to the faster comp and continue cutting on the slower one (although ideally they would both be fast).

Good luck with this! I'm hoping to enter the Chicago competition next year. So, hint hint, any Chicago lurkers out there?

* The composite explosions, muzzle flash, bullet impacts, and bullet holes...all too much to take on for a 48hr.

* The wardrobe believe it or not.

* The number of locations.

Those are really the only thing you can bring up. And it's all BS--our team consistently puts out a feature film a year, and they always see distribution. It's the directors 9th feature. Clearly we know how to make movies.

The obvious reason they thought we were cheating (other than the phone call), and why there were major politics involved is we only took home 'Best Editing'...and should have absolutely taken home 'Best sFX'...do you know what won Best sFX? A black and white movie that had a simple ghost effect in it...a transparent person. It beat out our composite work...total and complete BS. From that point on, I lost interest in 'awards' at the 48s.

Thats lame.. Geeze, following along, step by step, on a video copilot.net tutorial can get you awesome FX's which was kinda my plan. One big cool effect... two hours work (in parallel to music and audio) and great production value..

Thats lame.. Geeze, following along, step by step, on a video copilot.net tutorial can get you awesome FX's which was kinda my plan. One big cool effect... two hours work (in parallel to music and audio) and great production value..

Even more crazy about our FX, is that we were FTPing all of this footage to Arizona (we're in Rhode Island), and the sFX guy would FTP the shots back to us...very cool.

Even more crazy about our FX, is that we were FTPing all of this footage to Arizona (we're in Rhode Island), and the sFX guy would FTP the shots back to us...very cool.

Awesome. This year for our 48-hour, we have a friend in China and we are going to try to figure out some way to use footage of the Great Wall into our piece. I am hoping we pull Sci-Fi and we have an alien ship attack the wall or something.

It's not frowned upon at all. Totally legal. Totally legit. Seriously, though, don't spend too much time brainstorming ideas like this. When you get those prompts, your story will head in a direction that you never expected or could've even thought of in advance. If you have an idea in advance, and then you cram the elements into it, it will feel forced and unnatural, and people will know what you did.

It's impossible not to think about ideas, but don't intentionally spend time doing that. Because ultimately, it's a waste of time. If you want to take this competition for what it is, and have the most fun, and learn the most from your experience, you won't end up using any of the ideas you've brainstormed in advance.

If you want to take this competition for what it is, and have the most fun, and learn the most from your experience, you won't end up using any of the ideas you've brainstormed in advance.

Totally subjective. We have massive amounts of fun form fitting our previous brainstorm ideas into our genre pick.

Trust me, there's enough craziness involved, having a handful of possible ideas or not isn't going to change your fun factor (if you're going to have it...fun that is). And as far as learning...you'll learn either way.

It's not cheating to hash-out potential ideas...any good team does it. It's called 'being prepared'...not cheating. I'm not saying put words on paper...of course not...but IDEAS are your friend. You'd be surprised (or not) to learn how many teams write well into Saturday morning...toiling over how to end the movie...wasting time...thinking way too much about it. Making the dialog perfect...

Yes, the writing is hard...it should be taken seriously, and crafted ALL through the night...but come Saturday morning (6am or so), you better be ready to shoot.

Totally subjective. We have massive amounts of fun form fitting our previous brainstorm ideas into our genre pick.

Trust me, there's enough craziness involved, having a handful of possible ideas or not isn't going to change your fun factor (if you're going to have it...fun that is). And as far as learning...you'll learn either way.

It's not cheating to hash-out potential ideas...any good team does it. It's called 'being prepared'...not cheating. I'm not saying put words on paper...of course not...but IDEAS are your friend. You'd be surprised (or not) to learn how many teams write well into Saturday morning...toiling over how to end the movie...wasting time...thinking way too much about it. Making the dialog perfect...

Yes, the writing is hard...it should be taken seriously, and crafted ALL through the night...but come Saturday morning (6am or so), you better be ready to shoot.

From the 48HFP website -- All creativity must take place during the "Official 48 Hour Time Period".

That's pretty straight-forward. I don't know how you've tricked yourself into believing that talking about potential ideas with your teammates doesn't constitute creative work. Isn't group-session-brainstorming the first step in writing a good screenplay? It's part of the creative process, and the rules clearly state that you are not to do it in advance.

Just because you don't actually write anything down, that doesn't mean your not breaking the rules.

And, no, not everyone is doing it. My team didn't. And the team that we came in runner-up to for best film last year didn't do it, either. Like our film, the competition-winner had a plot that was clearly wrapped around the key elements.

I honestly don't know if I could write anything that good in 48 hours. I take ages over my writing.
And that is the challenge. The more difficult the challenge,
the more fun it can be. For some people, anyway.
so I was thinking why not sci-fi be the setting for any other genera..
romantic scifi
dramatic scifi
comedic scifi
or is that sorta frowned upon.. ??
I decided I wanted to do a musical. Regardless of the genre
we got we were going to do a musical. The only one that
had us sweating was "Silent Film". So if you want to do ScFi
the genre you get won't matter. I think you could set any
of the genres in a SciFi setting.

The main thing (and most people are mentioning this) is the
48 Hour project is not a "one man band" type of project. You
really need others involved. The paper work is killer. Especially
here in L.A. where most of my actors were SAG. The producer
was doing paperwork for hours. We shot on miniDV. Every
hour we would pull the tape and digitize whatever footage we
had. So at the end of our 12 hour shoot we only had one tape
left to digitize.

I had a blast doing it. Never again, but it sure was fun!

From the 48HFP website -- All creativity must take place during the "Official 48 Hour Time Period".

That's pretty straight-forward. I don't know how you've tricked yourself into believing that talking about potential ideas with your teammates doesn't constitute creative work. Isn't group-session-brainstorming the first step in writing a good screenplay? It's part of the creative process, and the rules clearly state that you are not to do it in advance.

Just because you don't actually write anything down, that doesn't mean your not breaking the rules.

And, no, not everyone is doing it. My team didn't. And the team that we came in runner-up to for best film last year didn't do it, either. Like our film, the competition-winner had a plot that was clearly wrapped around the key elements.

Dude, you're fooling yourself if you think people don't do it...they do. I personally know many teams that brainstorm ideas first.

Also, let's keep in mind that a lot of these teams are already experienced filmmakers...active filmmakers always have tons of script ideas already floating around their head...all the time. Are they not allowed to pull from past ideas? That, technically, is breaking the rules right? If I use an idea I came up with last year while taking a poop, and form-fit that to the genre I draw...am I breaking the rules?

Seriously man...filmmakes have a myriad ideas already in their heads...and there is no changing that, and it's almost impossible not to be influenced by those ideas. So what's the difference in brainstorming a little? You're simply choosing which of your past ideas would be most fun to do...it's all the same.

If you are threatened by this, I'm sorry. I just think it's impossible to NOT be creative until the the bell goes off...impossible.

I think the rules are in place for a reason...but let's not go overboard.

Last edited:
Dude, you're fooling yourself if you think people don't do it...they do. I personally know many teams that brainstorm ideas first.

Also, let's keep in mind that a lot of these teams are already experienced filmmakers...active filmmakers always have tons of script ideas already floating around their head...all the time. Are they not allowed to pull from past ideas? That, technically, is breaking the rules right? If I use an idea I came up with last year while taking a poop, and form-fit that to the genre I draw...am I breaking the rules?

Seriously man...filmmakes have a myriad ideas already in their heads...and there is no changing that, and it's almost impossible not to be influenced by those ideas. So what's the difference in brainstorming a little? You're simply choosing which of your past ideas would be most fun to do...it's all the same.

If you are threatened by this, I'm sorry. I just think it's impossible to NOT be creative until the the bell goes off...impossible.

I think the rules are in place for a reason...but let's not go overboard.

Well said sir. I fully agree with this. Not to mention, how could you not be thinking of shooting the piece at all. I am going to be nothing but a DP. I'll have no hand in any script writing at all. I have however been thinking of the numerous genres and considering lighting and shooting them. Like if I pulled a romantic comedy I would want to light a romantic dinner scene with possibly some LED lights-gives off a nice romantic light. Now with that thought and me starting to get the lights ready does that mean I am breaking a rule? I don't think so. For this kind of thing you need to be really prepared.

On another note, I met a team last year that had two scripts per genre and all I could think was "Man, wish I thought of doing that." I am pretty sure this is common practice.

Broosky,
as a DP only, are you expecting to still be "around" during the script writing? I had imagined that there are DP tasks that cant be started until kickoff but could be done before the script was done. Do you maybe just wear a different hat during that period, you become the the coffee boy or something..

Is it advisable to start shooting establishing shots right away, even before a script?.. or FX plate shots.. B roll.. for example, maybe right off the writters commit to the locations.. you know that some footage of driving from point A to point B would be required..so you head out and film driving around.. stuff like that...

thanks

We're clearly in disagreement on this, but actually, I don't think we're THAT far off from each other. I already mentioned, in an earlier post, that I find it impossible to NOT think about it, as I'm sure is true of all of us. And no, of course it's not cheating to use an idea that popped into your head five years ago, while you were taking a poop. In fact, the writers on my team last year did that very thing. They were assigned the prompts; they did some brainstorming; and then they remembered this idea that they had a while back, that would fit the prompt nicely.

Where I think you're crossing the line is if you have an organized group brainstorming session. The stuff you have bouncing around your head, all the time -- well that's just part of being who we are. But sitting down and developing those stories as a group? I don't know how you don't see that as "creative work".

No, I'm not fooling myself. I'm quite aware that lots of teams do this. But you know what? They're not fooling anybody. It's easy to see the difference between an idea that was brainstormed in advance, and one that was created uniquely for the assigned prompts. That doesn't mean you can't make an awesome film. Some of my favorites from last year were quite obviously conceived in advance. But it's clear that they didn't quite get the spirit of the competition, and I'm not surprised that they didn't win. If it was online, I'd post a link, but in absence of being able to do that, let me tell you I'm quite positive that the team that won had a unique concept that was wrapped entirely around the assigned prompts.

I guess I'm done commenting on this. Perhaps we enter the competition for different reasons. To each his own, and I don't intend to say that like a smart ass. For me, it's more fun to follow the rules strictly. Maybe for others, you might interpret the rules in a different way, allowing you to make a better film. I'm not gonna judge you, but that's definitely not my style.

Cheers.

EDIT: Haha. I guess I wasn't done commenting on it, as evidenced by the following two comments. Ok, NOW I'm done commenting on it.

Last edited:
Broosky,
as a DP only, are you expecting to still be "around" during the script writing? I had imagined that there are DP tasks that cant be started until kickoff but could be done before the script was done. Do you maybe just wear a different hat during that period, you become the the coffee boy or something..

Is it advisable to start shooting establishing shots right away, even before a script?.. or FX plate shots.. B roll.. for example, maybe right off the writters commit to the locations.. you know that some footage of driving from point A to point B would be required..so you head out and film driving around.. stuff like that...

thanks

My first year, I was eager to get shooting as quickly as possible. It ended in a train-wreck. If you're not the writer, chill out on Friday night. It's tough to resist the impulse to get started, but be patient. Give your writers time to develop their ideas, and nail down a solid script. If you keep it simple, one full day is plenty of time to shoot a 7-minute movie.

And, seriously, get all those darn cooks out of the kitchen. Keep your screenwriting team to 2 people, and let them have free reign to develop their story in it's entirety, from brainstorming on, without any outside meddling. Try to sleep, DP. You're going to need your energy when things get crazy for you, early Saturday morning. Same goes for director, editor, etc.

I can't wait to see what you come up with wheatgrinder. This competition is so exciting!

Well said sir. I fully agree with this. Not to mention, how could you not be thinking of shooting the piece at all. I am going to be nothing but a DP. I'll have no hand in any script writing at all. I have however been thinking of the numerous genres and considering lighting and shooting them. Like if I pulled a romantic comedy I would want to light a romantic dinner scene with possibly some LED lights-gives off a nice romantic light. Now with that thought and me starting to get the lights ready does that mean I am breaking a rule? I don't think so. For this kind of thing you need to be really prepared.

I agree. Stuff you think of, in your head, is unavoidable, and just part of being an artist and a competitor. I only take issue with your next example:

On another note, I met a team last year that had two scripts per genre and all I could think was "Man, wish I thought of doing that." I am pretty sure this is common practice.

No grey area on this one. That's just flat-out cheating, in the worst way. Just cuz a lot of teams do it doesn't make it right. Hey -- did that team win? Nope; you would've said so, if that were the case.

Do not succumb to the dark side, wheatgrinder!

For the inaugural 48HFP in Detroit, there was an added element of "Detroit Landmark," something that would instantly identify the city. As soon as we got our marching orders at the kickoff on Friday, I headed home to begin writing and my DP and a couple PAs headed downtown to get B roll, key plates of city streets, etc. Didn't waste any creative time as they weren't otherwise needed until the next day, and they got some great sunset shots...something no one else had. Not a bad idea at all...

Last edited:
I was thinking a hybrid approach. Get the team to gather to Practice brain storming as a team. In my job Iv seen lots of short term team forming. Each team undergoes this basic growth..

forming
storming
norm'ing

Forming is easy, its all about getting to know each other, figure out whose who..
Storming is the personal CONFLICT stage.. learning each others buttons, etc..
Norming is when you know each other enough to correctly assume what others will do\think and the team really starts to come together..

By practicing stressful interaction, we can get the team to the desired state in advanced of when it REALLY counts..

But you know what? They're not fooling anybody. It's easy to see the difference between an idea that was brainstormed in advance, and one that was created uniquely for the assigned prompts.

You're absolutely wrong. Most of the time there is no way of knowing. Solid filmmakers are solid filmmakers. Solid teams will create something awesome with or without previous brainstorming.

There is no way of telling...no tell tale signs of previous work done. It's silly to think YOU can spot parts of a film that were thought up on the spot, or weeks ago.

You'd only be guessing an element was part of previous brainstorming or conceived after the fact...and I'd guess the majority of the time you'd be totally wrong.

No worries my man...akuna matada. We can disagree. It's cool. It's just that I've been a part of 4 of these things (5 coming up), and I've known lots of other teams involved...and you never know what someone can pull out of their ass...or create beforehand. That's why it doesn't matter.

As long as you don't shoot any footage...write a script beforehand...or build any sets or props...it's all good in the hood.

Last edited:
Back