$2000-what should I buy?

I have a Canon SX50HS, a Pavilion g7 laptop, some cheap tripods, a diy steady-cam, a diy snorry-cam, and the ability to build other things. On the one hand I want to be done and over with the shopping, on the other hand I would like to maximize the useful tools I need to make a movie essentially on my own... Independently...

So what do I do? Do I pull the trigger? Can I spend the money elsewhere or on other products? My plans include the purchase of a T4i as well... $605 free ship/ or do I save a buck and get the T3i @ $485?

In my Amazon cart:

Stereo Headphone Extension 12 feet 3.5mm
Quantity: 1
Carry Speed Swi-View for any 3-Inch LCD View Finder
Chromo Inc.® 160 LED CI-160 Dimmable Ultra High Power P...
Ravelli AVTP Professional 75mm Video Camera Tripod with...
ePhoto Shoulder Rig DSLR Camera Rig Support Steady Rig ...
Rode Boompole Microphone Boom Arm - RODE
Quantity-1
Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card
Quantity-2
Battery And Charger Kit For Canon PowerShot SX40 HS, SX40HS, G1 X, G1X, SX50 HS, SX50HS, Powershot G15 Digital Camera Includes Extended Replacement (1200Mah) NB-10L Battery + AC/DC Travel Charger + LCD Screen Protectors + MicroFiber Cleaning Cloth - ButterflyPhot
Quantity-set
Audio-Technica ATR-6550 Video Camera Condenser Shotgun Microphone - Audio-Technica
Quantity-1
TASCAM DR-40 4-Track Portable Digital Recorder - TASCAM
Quantity-1

Subtotal: $819.80

In the waiting list are the lenses (40mm pancake and nifty-50) untill the camera is ordered, as well as some other goodies I deemed less immediate in nature.

HELP? I've sold most of my other hobby or collection items and want to make sure my movie gets done!

What to Buy With $2K

That's a good starter amount! Definitely research things that will make you more money at this point. If you don't have a camera START THERE! Have a camera only with a terrible computer can make you money! I promise, I've done it!

At this point in my career I have been through five or more cameras, four different computer builds, two different kinds of sliders, four different types of mics, and much, much more. All of this is from my personal equipment. My recommendation, is get the best camera and lens package you can afford right now and work to make more money for better and extra equipment slowly.

At this point the two best things I've purchased in my opinion have been the DJI Ronin-S gimbal and Canon 5D. That camera is a bit outside of that budget, and at this point, for you I wouldn't suggest buying the Ronin-S, but definitely add it to your wish list! I promise it has made my videos better ten-fold and I'm charging even more for them now.

Here's a blog I wrote discussing my experience with cameras I have purchased in the past. It might help you choose:
http://josephcadwell.com/blogs/blogpost_00003_choosingtherightcamera_120418.html

Hope this helps!
Joseph Cadwell

Pick up a used Panasonic GH4. You should shoot 4K to future proof your project. They are going for $400-700 on eBay. Get a couple lenses. Add $400

Tripod - Benro Aero 4 Video Travel Angel Tripod $200

Lighting - Dracast LEDs, a panel and a focusable light + stands $300-600

Rode NTG2 Shotgun mic $250

2 c-stands - $200

2 - 25' extension cords - $40

1- 50' extension cord - $20

Some gels

Scott

Pick up a used Panasonic GH4. You should shoot 4K to future proof your project. They are going for $400-700 on eBay. Get a couple lenses. Add $400

Tripod - Benro Aero 4 Video Travel Angel Tripod $200

Lighting - Dracast LEDs, a panel and a focusable light + stands $300-600

Rode NTG2 Shotgun mic $250

2 c-stands - $200

2 - 25' extension cords - $40

1- 50' extension cord - $20

Some gels

Scott

A small Monitor perhaps?

It's kind of fun to see a six year old thread bumped up and see
who replies. Scott shows up about once a year with always good
advice.

icba pictures never let us know if he started a YouTube or Vimeo
channel. I wonder if he ever made any movies.

Back