$2000-what should I buy?

What to Buy With $2K

That's a good starter amount! Definitely research things that will make you more money at this point. If you don't have a camera START THERE! Have a camera only with a terrible computer can make you money! I promise, I've done it!

At this point in my career I have been through five or more cameras, four different computer builds, two different kinds of sliders, four different types of mics, and much, much more. All of this is from my personal equipment. My recommendation, is get the best camera and lens package you can afford right now and work to make more money for better and extra equipment slowly.

At this point the two best things I've purchased in my opinion have been the DJI Ronin-S gimbal and Canon 5D. That camera is a bit outside of that budget, and at this point, for you I wouldn't suggest buying the Ronin-S, but definitely add it to your wish list! I promise it has made my videos better ten-fold and I'm charging even more for them now.

Here's a blog I wrote discussing my experience with cameras I have purchased in the past. It might help you choose:
http://josephcadwell.com/blogs/blogpost_00003_choosingtherightcamera_120418.html

Hope this helps!
Joseph Cadwell

scottspears

Pick up a used Panasonic GH4. You should shoot 4K to future proof your project. They are going for $400-700 on eBay. Get a couple lenses. Add $400

Tripod - Benro Aero 4 Video Travel Angel Tripod $200

Lighting - Dracast LEDs, a panel and a focusable light + stands $300-600

Rode NTG2 Shotgun mic $250

2 c-stands - $200

2 - 25' extension cords - $40

1- 50' extension cord - $20

Some gels

Scott

Pick up a used Panasonic GH4. You should shoot 4K to future proof your project. They are going for $400-700 on eBay. Get a couple lenses. Add $400

Tripod - Benro Aero 4 Video Travel Angel Tripod $200

Lighting - Dracast LEDs, a panel and a focusable light + stands $300-600

Rode NTG2 Shotgun mic $250

2 c-stands - $200

2 - 25' extension cords - $40

1- 50' extension cord - $20

Some gels

Scott
A small Monitor perhaps?

directorik

IndieTalk's Resident Guru
It's kind of fun to see a six year old thread bumped up and see
who replies. Scott shows up about once a year with always good
advice.

icba pictures never let us know if he started a YouTube or Vimeo
channel. I wonder if he ever made any movies.

Yeah, I didn't think it would help the original poster anymore, but I figured if someone else ever googled that it might come up and maybe help someone else kind of in the same situation.