Zoom H1 with Rode NTG-2

Hey Guys.

I am wondering if I could get some good quality Audio, especially for Dialogues out of this combination?!

Thanks

I use the NTG-2 and it's more than usable for recording dialogue.

I've never used the Zoom H1 but I do use the Zoom H4N (which I understand is a fair bit better). I'm sure someone will be able to answer as to whether the H1 will be able to do the trick.

I would say if that is what is in your budget.. go for it. learn the tool...no master the tool. You will get great sound using correct techniques and basic tools. the Zoom H1n is adequate IMO.

You would do better w/ an H4N, but the H1 is acceptable. Im sure an Audio Pro would not rave about it .

I just got me an Olympus VN-8100PC, a $49us digital recorder and a Audio TechnicaATR3350 lav mic to use as a replacement for a wireless lav and it is usable for my needs. Still have to watch carefully, but the sound is certainly workable.

I would love the $$ for a pro setup or have the time to rent all the pro gear each time I shoot, but being a one man show, I need my gear always available.

Well, the question was a bit unclear from the beginning... Could i plug the NTG-2 in the H1, to get around the AGC and bad amplifiers in the Camera?

Or should I get a JuicedLink DT454? Better solution and no sycing to be done?

I don't think the H1 has XLR inputs. It only has a 1/8" mic in jack.

What camera are you using?

Your best bet for that mic is a dedicated audio recorder with XLR inputs, such as the Zoom H4n.

Well, the question was a bit unclear from the beginning... Could i plug the NTG-2 in the H1, to get around the AGC and bad amplifiers in the Camera?

Or should I get a JuicedLink DT454? Better solution and no sycing to be done?

For the price of the JuicedLink DT454, you can get a H4N..

I have read online that the NTG-2 has low levels so a preamp would be needed as well.. not too much but you would need one IMO

With the H1, you would need an impedance matching transformer to go from the XLR to the 1/8 mini input..which would be awkward .. I suggest H4N & a preamp

Last edited:
The H1 would work. The amount of control over your audio with the H1 is minimal. My biggest concern is the 1/8" minipin connection (I have the same concern with camcorders as well); it is very easily unplugged. However, it will be better than plugging directly into a DSLR.

The DT454 is a very crappy solution to the DSLR audio problem, and as IndieBudget mentioned you can get am H4n for that kind of money. BTW, the Tascam DR-100 is starting to eclipse the H4n as the mega-ultra-micro-low budget recorder of choice. The pre-amps sound better and the build is much sturdier. It still suffers from the same low audio input level problem as the H4n, however.

No matter what you choose, remember to monitor audio at all times with a decent pair of headphones!!!

Hi,

So i would get the best if I get a H4n and plug the NTG-2 or a VideoMic Pro into it and record externally.

What is the main difference sound quality wise with the H4n and the Tascam DR-100?

Im leaning towards a Zoom for now, but could you also explain why the DT454 is not so good? Is the DS214 any better?

Hi,

So i would get the best if I get a H4n and plug the NTG-2 or a VideoMic Pro into it and record externally.

What is the main difference sound quality wise with the H4n and the Tascam DR-100?

Im leaning towards a Zoom for now, but could you also explain why the DT454 is not so good? Is the DS214 any better?

From what I've heard the NTG-2 will have low volume.. might look into a preamp and if Alcove sez the Tascam ( same price ) is better .. go Tascam

DSLRs have horrible audio implementation. They are still cameras with video capabilities; how much effort/expense do you think they put into the audio? Devices like the DT454 and the DS214 defeat the AGC by playing a constant tone into one channel of the DSLR; that tone can bleed onto the audio track. Not to mention that, no matter what you use for audio input, you are still running the signal through the crappy DSLR pre-amps.

I'm sure that two years from now DSLR audio quality will be on a par with the DR-100s and H4ns. That's not to say that units like the H4n and DR-100 sound good to professional ears; they use decidedly inferior components, at least when compared to professional gear. There is a reason why professional production sound teams spend thousands on Sennheiser, Sanken and Neumann mics, and tens of thousands on Sound Devices and Zaxcom mixers & recorders.

To answer your question...

I already answered in my previous post.

The pre-amps sound better

The Zoom pre-amps sound harsh/brittle to my ears, the Tascam pres sound a bit smoother.

Back