zero budget. production diary.

After damn close to three years, my first "real" film project is ready to shoot. It's called zero budget. a movie about two dudes making a movie. (periods and lack of capitalization intentional). I first had the idea somewhere around May 2010, when I figured that since I had no budget with which to make a movie, I might as well make a no-budget movie about making a no-budget movie. So I wrote a twelve-page summary and tried to improvise around it.

Needless to say, that didn't go too well.

After realizing how stupid I was, I decided it might be a good idea to sit down and, you know, write a script. So last summer, I did, and the result is a 45-page screenplay that I could not be happier with. Then I was stupid enough to ask for six grand on Kickstarter (shockingly, that didn't work either). I finally saved up enough cash for a T3i and Zoom H1, and now we are all set to go.

Currently, I am in the process of sorting out scheduling (it's just me and a bunch of my high-school friends, so there isn't too much to worry about since we're all on vacation), but hopefully I'll be able to start shooting within a week or so.

The movie is, as the subtitle suggests, about two dudes making a movie. Mike and Will want desperately to go to Dubstepapalooza (only the hottest party of the summer, duh), and need a way to make a quick buck. Mike thinks he should not only be able to make said buck, but also win over the girl of his dreams by making a blockbuster sci-fi flick on no budget, and basically, things go wrong. My sense of humor is simultaneously inspired by subtleties in the vein of Arrested Development and absurdist slapstick along the lines of Police Squad!, so there's a mix of wordplay and farce, along with plenty of in-jokes referencing various b-movies.

Once shooting starts I'll update, well, hopefully on a daily basis with photos and stories from the set. Until then, here's the teaser logo...

291309_408610219196897_369823146_o.jpg

And the four-second teaser trailer that reveals absolutely nothing of the plot and includes no actual footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HZImtUQ-0

And finally, more-freqent updates and pictures will be available on our Facebook page.

So, just out of curiousity: How much do you plan for this? I mostly work on FX so its getting an order, crunching it and waiting for the next gig. But Im assuming you have rentals, actors you might need to pay, gear, etc. Multiple locations, etc.

Are you just roughly laying it out in your head or planning the shooting days hour to hour, minute to minute? How do you decide how much time you need to shoot how much footage, etc? I would appreciate some insight in how you do it and if you have any good links on the subject of planning a shoot, that'd also be appreciated (you can PM them if you don't want to derail your thread :P).

Oh good god, barely any. I'm a totally inexperienced high-schooler working with my totally inexperienced high-school friends, so no actors I need to pay. I have no money, so I'm just using the T3i that I own as opposed to renting. The biggest issue is my dropping a schedule on my friends with barely a week's notice, when things may pop up despite peoples' assurance that they'd be available on X day. Basically, I tell them, "get to my place at ten and hopefully we'll be done before you have to get to your other, more serious acting commitment". As far as locations, it's pretty much my house for a good 70-80% of it, and public stuff within walking distance for anything else. I've done a couple 48 Hour Films before, and of course am completely naïve, so I'm confident in my ability to get scenes done on short notice without much planning, and even more so now that I've learned a few lessons from said films, will be able to apply them, and will have much more time to make sure everything looks like I want it to (in case this wasn't clear, I'm literally doing everything on this project-writer, director, producer, cinematography, "sound design" [which consists of setting up a digital recorder with above-average mics and hitting record], even acting, you name it). So unfortunately I don't think I can help you with that, because I pretty much have no fucking idea what I'm doing. :D

Thank you! I do have one huge obstacle: an exceedingly negative cast member trying to "help" me run the movie. I can appreciate a perspective grounded more in realism than optimism and a blind desire to finish a movie before school starts, but when you start pointing out every little thing I, the inexperienced high-school indie director planning something on short notice, am doing wrong, it crosses a line from a helpful suggestion to obnoxious. Dude, I know things won't work out exactly as I hope, you can stop talking now. He did the same shit to me during the last 48 Hour Film Project, so after this I don't think I'll be working with him again.
...Anyway. Just wanted to get that off my chest. Thanks again!

Good luck! Quite a big project to take on, bigger than I have yet and I'm a little older than you, so good job with your determination! I'm interested in seeing how everything goes, so please keep reporting with your progress.

First Day Of Shooting: Summary

It was an excellent first day of shooting, even though all I got was one side of a phone conversation. Here are a couple of photos from the shoot:

614665_409269389130980_197664402_o.jpg

You can get a sense of not only the budget, but also the level of expertise I'm working with here...

467271_409269379130981_1892901167_o.jpg

Tory Marks goes over her lines as the Dubstepapalooza Lady.

More photos can be found here.

Something else interesting happened today: my co-lead actor quit on me. He's the guy I mentioned earlier-he has a point, but he continues to make it over and over again and it really irritates me. These are his exact words (he shall remain anonymous):

"To be totally honest... I dont really want to do this. Nothing against you, and dont take this as meaning my previous points stemmed from a negative outlook on this project, but I just dont really want to deal with it now. Speaking from the heart."

I feel like I shouldn't be as angry and annoyed as I am-as he has said time and time again, it's a bunch of high-schoolers, plans change-but I've literally been talking about this project for three years and he's been involved from the beginning. I'm pretty sure I made my intention to shoot this month clear awhile back. Honestly, though, I'm pretty happy about it-was NOT looking forward to working with a guy who didn't want to be there and would make sure everyone knew it. I'm replacing him with someone who had a smaller part originally and happens to be a girl... fortunately there aren't any gender-specific parts in the movie. I think it may be better for it, though it's definitely going to be tough (as though I didn't think that from the start). Hopefully more pictures tomorrow!

These two lovely ladies stopped by this morning and we managed to complete 4 1/2 pages in six hours (including a twenty-or-so minute break and a lot of talking and screwing around).

259559_409693632421889_1529799327_o.jpg

Really, it couldn't have gone better. More shooting will be going on this Wednesday, so more pictures and news then!

(again, apologies for the sheer size of the images... and there's a whole album of 'em right here.

Back