Youtube and Targeting Audiences

Hey dudes/dudettes,

I'm interested in making some funny youtube video's - possibly a web series, just for a little fun and a little self promotion for my skills as a film maker.
Any idea on what sort of audiences are the biggest on youtube? I've read that over 45's compose of half the youtube viewing population, others say teenager girls 14 - 22.
I think my humour is probably best suited towards teenage boys around 14 - 22 but I'm willing to experiment with some new styles.

anyway just wondering what your opinions are on the target audiences, and what you should do to reel them in... keep them interested etc. :cool:

I'm not an expert on viral social etc. but I feel like enough people watch youtube that you could have an audience no matter what demographic you're aiming for. I know that there are people out there who specialize in analyzing how to optimize viral social etc. visibility. But imo the best way to reel people in is to have a product that people will want to link to their friends and the best way to keep them interested is to be funny and interesting...

If it's good humor, any demographic will laugh. If it's poo and fart humor, the younger crowd will laugh. I'd say just go for good humor ;)

No matter if it's good or not, you have to GET people to see it. Having a video go viral is as much about promotion as it is content. Someone has to pass it along and keep passing it along.

Yeah but the virals that get passed around are the stupid "skateboarder falls off roof" or "elephant trampoline" vids, not good shorts.

Yeah how often do you see good shorts going around on viral? I read this really interesting viral marketing article, and basically they reckon you need good word of mouth over the internet to be successful. I'll see if I can find the link again.. it was really interesting.

Andy Wahlburg from SNL and the video's he has been bringing out have been absolutely massive (eg. Jizz in my pants). I think that would have to be purely the production value of the short that got people talking. They look really well made and they have quick cuts to keep interest.

We also can't discount the actors from the Sopranos and Justin Timberlake starring in JIZZ IN MY PANTS short. THe same thing with WILL FERREL's THE LANDLORD video on FUNNYORDIE.COM

The current marketplace is definitely favoring familiar and popular faces as to complete unknowns...even for viral short films online.

Back