Your first attempts at film making

Yeah, I saw FINGER about 5 years ago! I believe that I commented on it, at another forum. Sick stuff. I like that score, which really helps the slower pace. Normally, I would say that a movie like that needs to be "cut" to half the length, but there was something about having to endure the length of the grueling process. It works.

http://pictureshelved.blogspot.com/ unfortunately I had to direct and star in it. Anyway I'd love some comments.

I thought it was pretty good. The screen direction on the shot of the guy's feet confused me for a moment (as to which guy's feet), but then it all made sense. It was light hearted and nostalgic, especially with how it looked. The end was a nice touch. Good stuff.

I saw FLIGHT OF THE CHICKEN, years back. Pretty dang good for a first movie!

I was really cracking up at the work of you guys who use dolls!! That PREDATOR spoof was hilarious. I also liked the bloody raccoon getting barfed on!

Bird, that was amazing stop motion! It was almost too much to look at. Impressive creations.

I think these are all amazing first films, congrats everyone!

@ScoopicMan Thank you very much, Mike! As I've mentioned before, I'm a ready fan of all the work I've seen of yours. Love this early stuff, too.:)

haha oh dear lord. i came up with a bunch of crap in film school that i'd prefer to keep hidden til the end of time. however, i did make a 3 minute short entitled "the theif" - a silent film in the vein of charlie chaplin accompanied by scott joplin's "cakewalk" and i was pretty proud of the end result. got an A in intermediate production class, anyway.

I love these forums because there are so many ideas and approaches - and talent! This was my first attempt at filmmaking on my own - shot on super 8 in one day - edited with one of those little razor splicers, and music and sound done edited in with an old VHS camera. I did it to prove to myself I could shoot an action scene. Took me almost 10 more years to get the guts to say I can do this.... I went from this to my first feature and have just now finished my second feature. If you really think you can do it - never let anyone convince you that you can't!

This was my first attempt at filmmaking on my own - shot on super 8 in one day[/I]

I'm guessing that the "on my own" qualifier indicates you'd learned a lot beforehand?

'Cos that's pretty kickass for a first-timer.
smiley_mono.gif

Lots of other great stuff linked, too. Loving this thread :cool:

Last edited:
Back