• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Yet ANOTHER grain overlay option?

As I mentioned in another thread, grain overlays are really catching on these days.

I've been a fan of filmic/organic grain for quite some time, and have incorporated it into many projects using home-brewed techniques. (I was a software developer for quite a few years.) But this was mostly for an 8mm or otherwise grungy, low-quality effect. (Example: http://vimeo.com/12933498 Much of the grain was computer-generated, light leaks and mechanical effects were scans.)

For the more subtle 35mm film grain, I purchase scans for the ultimate in realistic film grain. I just assumed my old procedural/software approach couldn't touch the real deal in terms of aesthetic.

But it seems I might have been wrong.

I dusted off the old software, did some heavy tweaking, experimented with down-sampling from a 4K plate, and came up with what I think is a truly convincing grain overlay. It doesn't feel like STATIC or NOISE... but has that "dancing" grain appearance much like film emulsion.

Like I said, there are a handful of guys selling grain overlays (and they are fantastic), but the cost of developing and scanning the film means they are typically expensive. (NOTE: To my knowledge there is only one other company selling procedural grain.)

SO........ I'd like to sell my own, with my fellow indie filmmakers in mind.

I have a 10-second clip I'd like to give out for free, in hopes that you will test it and give me feedback before I release a full package.

(The actual "packaged" clips will be at least 30 seconds in length, in varying degrees of coarseness, some with dirt/dust/hair, etc.)

If you'd like to try it, PM me.

THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Here's a quick before-and-after. In this case, the grain layer's contrast has been increased to accentuate the grain.

quick_before_after.jpg

I got Frank's sample, and it does look pretty good! It's a subtle, fine grain for sure but unless you're wanting to utterly "destroy" your footage that's what you want most of the time. Subtle, but definitely there.

Looks good man!

Ernest: Thanks for checking it out! In some ways the damaged 8mm effect is easier to accomplish than "natural"-ish grain.

Paul: Glad you liked it! Did you find it easy to adjust via Brightness + Contrast and/or Opacity? Thank you for giving it a try!

Back