• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing stories and coming up with ideas?

I would like to make a short film (3 - 4 minutes) that has a moral lesson. I suck at writing though and I find it boring. I need to come up with something entertaining and something that has a message. For example I seen this video on youtube. It shows how people are selfish when they have limited resources. (Two people were fighting over a drink, and then someone took the drink from them by luck.) Here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3TI252lfMQ (The movie isn't that good, but the general idea was good)

Another short film suggests when someone lends you money, its better to pay him/her back when you get the chance (first thing first). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOD0v59gMlE. I don't want to spend money or travel somewhere just to shoot a short film. I want to come up with something easy and it must have a message, so whats important to people in your opinion ? How can I come up with story when when I find myself stuck?

Please if you have an idea, let me know or help me get started. If you want you can list me some moral issues that I could talk about.

Thanks in advance! :blush:

'I suck at writing though and I find it boring.' Not really the best mindset for making original short films!

How can you possibly get bored with a 3-4 minute script? You realise that's a mere 4 pages, if that? Just think of an idea and start writing it out into a beat sheet.

What story do YOU have to tell, what has affected you?

Get off the forums, open notepad and just write down a load of things that have pissed you off this year. Take one of those events and develop it further, adding fictional elements to drive the story.

Please if you have an idea, let me know or help me get started. If you want you can list me some moral issues that I could talk about.

What moral issues are YOU interested in?

You must have passion for some moral issues or you
wouldn't want to make movies to express yourself. So
what are they? What is it you want to impart to others?
What is the message you want others to learn?

I'm finding it difficult to understand how you can want
to make a short film that has a moral lesson, but you
don't have a moral lesson you want to teach. Isn't there
anything at all that YOU want to say to an audience?

The Golden Rule
Dumb Criminals

I'd add some humor.

Good luck.

Back