• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writers Block

Hey, IndieTalk. Slug here:)

Writers Block: :no:

We all get it. We all hate it. What is it?

Maybe the things in our life are to blame. Pressure, or stress. Or maybe we think to much for a long period of time and our mind needs a break. Whatever it is, it can really put you down.

I was writing My screenplay, and was on my third month. I was on a roll, and suddenly, it hit me like a kick in the balls. Writers block. I couldn't write, I couldn't think. Every word I put on the screen looked like elementary material. And the more and more I tried to get out of the slump, the further I sank. The Writers block also effected my thought process. It was hard for me to create good dialogue or description. And if I wrote, it all seemed half fast.

So, this is what I do now when I get it.

* Eat fruit. Workout (Jog, weights, or the basic push up - sit ups)
* Movie marathon. Not in one day, but over the course of the week. Rent a whole bunch of movies that you hevent seen or havent seen in a while.
* Put down the script you been working on and relax. Think of new ideas, a new genre. A horror film, or a physcological thriller. Or of a strange character. Maybe start the outline for a new script.
* Don't write. Stop for a while till you feel better.
* Go have fun. You've been cooped up for so long, your going insane. So leave, party, drink, smoke, go to the movies. The Arcade. Something!

If anyone has any other Remedies, post them. I might write a book lol

Research, write other stuff like a short story or poem, go out for a walk or train/bus ride, watch movies.

Personally, I don't believe in writers block. You can just write poorly for a while, and then rewrite later. You need to give yourself permission to do that.

I read a really great article on writers block a couple of months ago, I'll try and dig it up.

One thing to do is to brainstorm some ideas, even if they're crap. Pick one, then decide what you would like it to be; screenplay, short story, poem....

Then just write. Even if you know it's bad writing, just smash your way through that block. Your writing will improve as you go, and you will surprise yourself.

IMO writers block comes about when you're trying to skip the very first step, which is actually having an idea. Writing without an idea doesn't work. So begin at the beginning.

Back