• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Wrath - Short Film in HD

Hi Guys, thought id post one of our films up here.
Please take some time to have a look.

Thanks

Wrath

Lisa remembers the good times she had with her partner but is there a dark side to their relationship...

Directed, filmed & edited by
Sam Hendi

Starring
Hyette Duffy & Tracy Villiers

Sound & Lighting by
Gemma Hurley
Shahram Shayesteh

Creative Director
Abena Bentum

Written by
Shahram Shayesteh
Abena Bentum

Filmed with a Sony HVR-V1E and a Letus35 Extreme using a 28mm and 50mm Nikon Lens.

Also using a pan and tilt head with heavy duty tripod and a Glideshot dolly track.

Edited using Sony Vegas and After Effects CS3.

Available to view on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFrey2Tai24

Or on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/2745759

Poster.jpg

Some Stills:

2-3.jpg

4-1.jpg

1-4.jpg

3-2.jpg

Hey Sam. That was spot-on!! Loved it. How long did it take you to make?

I thought Hyette did a cracking job, very believable charcacter and she played flippin' psycho really well :)

Top marks all round. Do you have any other shorts you have worked on?

FANTASTIC!

I loved the way the film started off to then somthing ellse (without spoiling it for other but you know what I mean)

The actress with the dark hair was very good, but the blond one didnt quite show enough fear I thought.

Hope there is a part 2?

6 hours filming and two days edit, thats pretty impressive!

May I ask about the sound, what mics did you use and what kind of sound setup was you working with?

Where did you get your actors from and is this a indipendent thing you are doing or is it with Uni or film group.

Where was the location?

Would love to find out what happend next!

:)

May I ask about the sound, what mics did you use and what kind of sound setup was you working with?

Where did you get your actors from and is this a indipendent thing you are doing or is it with Uni or film group.

Where was the location?

We used a Rode NTG2 mic linked to our Sony HVR-V1E camera. We just had the mic attached to the boom pole. It was a very basic sound setup.

Our actors are friends and are students who do drama at university. There was no budget. Just script and shoot.

As for the location, we filmed it at a friends house :)

Looks great, and the acting is very good by the lead girl.

A few things: the DP/camera op is very loose with the DOF and focus...this seems to be a fad going round. As if a blurry subject is a 'style'...a choice. I don't agree with that. I think if you're going to use lenses...keep things in focus. It's OK to come into focus every now and then...or to leave focus at the end of a shot...but to be too loose with it, to not hit your marks properly as an actor, or your numbers as a focus assistant, is distracting.

Also, I thought with the high quality of this short, the sound should have been better. It's a little echoey...I know it's the space...and there's too much dialog to ADR...but maybe something could have been done? It doesn't ruin the film by any means...it's just something I'd like to have seen improved.

Great short. Very well acted.

The ending was cool. The girl gets loose...but does she just run...does she kill the jealous girlfriend...do they have a scuffle...what happens?

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback :)

A few things: the DP/camera op is very loose with the DOF and focus...this seems to be a fad going round. As if a blurry subject is a 'style'...a choice. I don't agree with that. I think if you're going to use lenses...keep things in focus. It's OK to come into focus every now and then...or to leave focus at the end of a shot...but to be too loose with it, to not hit your marks properly as an actor, or your numbers as a focus assistant, is distracting.

Also, I thought with the high quality of this short, the sound should have been better. It's a little echoey...I know it's the space...and there's too much dialog to ADR...but maybe something could have been done? It doesn't ruin the film by any means...it's just something I'd like to have seen improved.

Yeah, we tried to do as little into and out of focus shots however, it seemed to happen a lot tho' but there is always room for improvement.

As for Sound, we didnt concentrate too much on it since we only had six hours to do the whole shoot which we had wished we spent more time setting up for.;)

I agree with M1 that the lead girl was very good indeed!

The only focus shot I didint like was the cup close ups, don't think there was any need for that.

But I guess these shots are personal preference, this is a good short that I have remembered and I only think its a shame that it is left so open, I want to see what happens next.

M1chae1, you gave too much away on your last line of comment there I think (spoiler) lol

I thought it was great - aside from the ending.

Instead of being open-ended, it came off as unfinished.

Loved the colours. :cool:

Seconding the opinion on thin sound.

But yah, overall nicely done. :)

Edit: What's up with the special mention to Eric Clapton in the credits?

I think you have talent.

But you need to work on Sound and Focus pulling. There are really taking away from what could be a good short.

But you need to work on Sound and Focus pulling.

Yep definately need to work on those... unfortunately, i still havent purchased a follow focus... do you have any recommendations? its definately put on the important list of things to get and it would definately help the focusing during filming... were just looking for a good one that is reasonable priced...?

That was outstanding. You've really provided an excellent template for making a captivating short film. Simple set, dynamic performances, to the point. Well done.

As much as I admire ZenSteve, I must respectfully disagree about the ending. I thought it ROCKED! I actually said out loud "it should just end now!" ... and then the credits flashed. This movie needs no sequel, no part 2...I guess if you are motivated to make one, that's fine. But you made an excellent choice and I hope you stand by it.

If you have money to spend, The redrock follow focus is good. There's some really cheap ones on ebay that I Do NOT suggest. They are cheap and have a 'Pull Lag' to them.

I dont like Redrock 35 adapter, but its FF is good.

Back