Would anyone be interested in helping a young girl fulfill her dreams?

My name is Anna Turner, this morning my father decided he was going to help me start making films to the best of his ability. MY father has no experience in making films :) so I leave it up to the world of artists to help me. I need to know where to get filming equipment, how much that equipment costs, what it does, how many I need etc... the basics from the start really :) much thanks to all who read and my heart to all who help.

Honesty is an artists greatest tool.

Fiction isn't a lie, it's an imagining. There's a difference. If you don't have the ability to be honest, then you don't have the ability to connect with the underpinnings of a story.

Because to connect with those, you have to be able to draw on universal truths.

A story is a truth.

Honesty isn't the greatest tool, heart is...
Without heart none of the movies anyone made would be any good!
There are a lot of fiction movies and book, and there are a lot of movies without the makers heart. You can tell which ones were made with passion and the ones that weren't.

There are a lot of fiction movies and book, and there are a lot of movies without the makers heart. You can tell which ones were made with passion and the ones that weren't.

Very Well said, DreamBig.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge Thanks to everyone that's helped DreamBig!!! My husband and I appreciate it Greatly!! She's so excited to start filming! Super HUGE Thanks to Lucky Hardwood! You're awesome!

Those of you who have helped me, be on the look out for a new thread with my film included.
I'll be sending out friend requests and I hope you accept them! Goodbye for now ~ sincerely Anna Turner (a.k.a. DreamBig)

And anyway, how can you tell a story if you don't know how to be honest? You can't.

There are many ways to write/make a movie. While what you're both saying may be right for you two, doesn't mean it's right for everyone else.

And the honesty part is so subjective. Honest to yourself, honest to your work, honest to your characters, honest to the past/present, honest to science, honest to religion, honest to the book etc. etc. Is honesty really the best answer to everything? What about: Wife to husband, "Does this dress make my ass look fat?" What about to your child "I've spent all day making this [pile of dog poo wigit]. Isn't it the best [wigit] in the world?"

The heart can run you into so many troubles. There are many stories about people rushing into trouble without thinking.

You're both right. Honesty and heart/passion are both important. But in moderation and also with a level of common sense too. For instance, Red Wine can help reduce heart disease though if taken the wrong way and taken to excess it can lead to problems.

This thread has been heavily moderated. It got out of hand, this ends that portion of the thread.

I spent 2 hours removing 4 pages of posts and modifying others to reflect those alterations. I've noted where I've altered posts. Time to get back to the original topic of answering questions about filmmaking on our filmmaking forum.

Thank you.

all you need is camera and mic and thats it...

no matter how good equipment you got... if you dont know how to use it... whats the point...

also.. you are not a Hollywood studio... you DO NOT need to get all the equipment in the world...

get good DSLR camera (canon 7D or if you dont have money canon 60D) get a rode mic and audio recorder ZOOM h4n... that is ALL you really need to start with and pro-quality... the rest will come...

the most important thing is... you NEED good crew, people who know how to use the equipment... :)

I solidly agree that the people you end up working with is the SINGLE most important piece of the puzzle. If you find cast / crew that you feel you can't live without, they come back to the next picture (make sure you create a working environment that they want to come back to)... alternatively, the folks who don't fit the team or drop the ball (talented or not), don't get asked back.

The network of talented people you surround yourself with are your most valuable asset. MUCH more important that any equipment or script or even story.

all y

get good DSLR camera (canon 7D or if you dont have money canon 60D) get a rode mic and audio recorder

Really? You'd suggest that a newbie try to match up audio in editing right off the bat?

Bad advice I'd say. Lets see if a newbie can hack basic filmmaking techniques before burdening her with unneeded gear complications.

Really? You'd suggest that a newbie try to match up audio in editing right off the bat?

Bad advice I'd say. Lets see if a newbie can hack basic filmmaking techniques before burdening her with unneeded gear complications.

well I was newbie and that what I did... I use Sony Vegas 12 which is very helpful if it comes to match audio and video...

Really? You'd suggest that a newbie try to match up audio in editing right off the bat? Bad advice I'd say. Lets see if a newbie can hack basic filmmaking techniques before burdening her with unneeded gear complications.

Why bad advice? Until camcorders came along this was the ONLY way to handle audio; newbs had no choice whatsoever. And it is not that difficult as long as you slate properly, not to mention the fact that you have the camera audio to sync to. And there are softwares like PluralEyes that can partially automate the process.

Yeah, syncing isn't hard, it's just tedious.

But to be perfectly honest, I think beginner writer-filmmakers should concentrate on having as little dialog as possible at first. Mainly because new filmmakers tend to make scripts that are far too talky, which is very hard to film in an interesting and well-paced way, even if the dialog is brilliant. And as an added bonus, it's less to sync up.

Just some food for thought.

Why bad advice?
Kids today.

I can’t imagine that it’s now considered bad advice to suggest a beginning
filmmaker learn how to sync audio to picture. Shows how far we have
progressed and also how easy it has become. When I was starting I had
no option but to sync audio to picture - even when I was 12 making my
very first films. By the time I was 14 I was really good at it.

Young filmmakers today have it so easy that syncing audio is considered
a difficult, highly technical task and gear complications better left until they
have developed other skills. Back when I was a teen filmmaker it was
considered basic post production.

And I had to walk to school in the snow uphill - both directions....

Back