Would anyone be interested in helping a young girl fulfill her dreams?

My name is Anna Turner, this morning my father decided he was going to help me start making films to the best of his ability. MY father has no experience in making films :) so I leave it up to the world of artists to help me. I need to know where to get filming equipment, how much that equipment costs, what it does, how many I need etc... the basics from the start really :) much thanks to all who read and my heart to all who help.

Fame and fortune are a byproduct of being great at what you do. You are a storyteller. Just learn to use whatever assets are available to you to best advantage.

"Life has been meant for you to enjoy, but you won't enjoy it unless you pay for it with some good, hard work; this is one price that will never be marked down." - Harpo Marx.

I will enjoy it! I believe I will be great at it everyone thinks so around here (my home town). I've always been interested with anything about movie business.

I know things like, "You're gonna get big!" from my parents isn't the same as it happening I KNOW that I have to work for it, I know that it's not gonna be as easy as making a film and submitting it! Someone said "Nothing is perfect there is only a level of satisfaction" My bar is high right now and probable won't get any lower. I'm going to work until it makes me happy.

well im tough to impress, i can nitpick at things you didnt even notice...

have you ever filmed anything before may i ask? if so can i see?

No I haven't :S I can too, I'm probably going to freak out when a person walks onto the set then notices I'm filming and backs away.... XD ! and I'll see all my films before you do mwahahaha :P

No I haven't :S I can too, I'm probably going to freak out when a person walks onto the set then notices I'm filming and backs away.... XD ! and I'll see all my films before you do mwahahaha :P

well look if carry on with this at the age you are now, i have no doubt in 2 years time youl be 200% better than you are now.

heck you may even have talent, but if you dont have talent then you have alot of hard work ahead of you.

what kind of genres interest you? action, scifi, horrors, anime?

well look if carry on with this at the age you are now, i have no doubt in 2 years time youl be 200% better than you are now.

heck you may even have talent, but if you dont have talent then you have alot of hard work ahead of you.

what kind of genres interest you? action, scifi, horrors, anime?

Thank you very much I'm dedicated to this! I'm interested with a lot of genres, I'm interested in making Science fiction, Reality, Documentaries & Interviews at the moment but once I've expanded my budget and actors and such Fantasy, Action & Horror. I'm not trying to get in over my head at the moment I'm going to take small steps :D

Thank you very much I'm dedicated to this! I'm interested with a lot of genres, I'm interested in making Science fiction, Reality, Documentaries & Interviews at the moment but once I've expanded my budget and actors and such Fantasy, Action & Horror. I'm not trying to get in over my head at the moment I'm going to take small steps :D

cool also set your brain to sponge mode, if someone tells you something really listen and understand what they are telling you, if you dont understand then ask.

its always exciting to see young people (im 23 and old) getting into things positive.

maybe you could do three 4 minute films of different genres and see what you like.

what films would you say are in your top 5

this could give us an insight as to what tickles your flavour

cool also set your brain to sponge mode, if someone tells you something really listen and understand what they are telling you, if you dont understand then ask.

its always exciting to see young people (im 23 and old) getting into things positive.

maybe you could do three 4 minute films of different genres and see what you like.

what films would you say are in your top 5

this could give us an insight as to what tickles your flavour

Okay let me think...I have odd choices for a young teenager! :P I can't put them in any sort of order but, Beetle juice, O' Brother, where art thou, the complete collection of the Lord of the rings, Inglorious Bastards & The nightmare before Christmas. Those would have to be my top 5. I have a very different taste then most other teenagers :\ unfortunately it causes me to be somewhat of an oddity and so I don't have very many friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question, what is the best tripod for me? I need one that turns so I can get rotating shots, I also need one that can be 60" but can shut up and be about a foot and a half tall. Is that possible? The main thing is I need one that is affordable. Any ideas?

Okay let me think...I have odd choices for a young teenager! :P I can't put them in any sort of order but, Beetle juice, O' Brother, where art thou, the complete collection of the Lord of the rings, Inglorious Bastards & The nightmare before Christmas. Those would have to be my top 5. I have a very different taste then most other teenagers :\ unfortunately it causes me to be somewhat of an oddity and so I don't have very many friends. That's also part of why it hurt my feelings so bad that Rik told me just to use my phone and make little videos with my friends! :(

well beetle juice and inglorious bastards are favourites of mine also,

my top 5?

1. the dark knight rises
2. goodfellas
3. the bucket list (i felt attached)
4. willy wonka and the chocolate factory (not charlie and the chocolate factory)
5. .... undecided at the moment....

dont worry about friends, they either let you down or never there when you need them.

have you started writing a script yet?

personally i have a aluminium tripod designed for photo, but it does the job, i bought a tripod head the manfrotto 501 which is a beast, however i will invest in better tripod legs.

i think what your better off doing is budgeting for every item:

Camera

Lens (if needed)

Batteries

Memory cards (if applicable)

Tripod legs

tripod head

or just a tripod designed specifically

and you mustnt forget about sound

not sure about your situation but in my situation it would be this:

field recorder

Microphone

Boom Pole

Rode blimp (not necessary but good to have)

Flat Headphones (headphones that dont give extra sound that isnt there)

Also lets not forget the computer.. without that... what is there

are you going to be using windows or osx?

-Write script.
-Post script in IT 'screenwriting forum'.
-Have it savaged.
-Rewrite script.
-Repost script.
-Have it savaged again.
-Abandon project.
-Start new script with more experience about what people like.
-Post it on IT.
-Have it criticised.
-Rewrite, report.
-Have it praised.
-Shoot it.

Short film scripts don't take long to write but it'll take a while to acquire the skills necessary to make these concise stories actually mean something. A short film needs to stand on its own, it can't just be a segment of a longer story, but they can't try and be too big a story, you can't condense a feature film into 5 minutes. Getting that balance will require practice.

personally i have a aluminium tripod designed for photo, but it does the job, i bought a tripod head the manfrotto 501 which is a beast, however i will invest in better tripod legs.

i think what your better off doing is budgeting for every item:

Camera

Lens (if needed)

Batteries

Memory cards (if applicable)

Tripod legs

tripod head

or just a tripod designed specifically

and you mustnt forget about sound

not sure about your situation but in my situation it would be this:

field recorder

Microphone

Boom Pole

Rode blimp (not necessary but good to have)

Flat Headphones (headphones that dont give extra sound that isnt there)

Also lets not forget the computer.. without that... what is there

are you going to be using windows or osx?

Windows

-Write script.
-Post script in IT 'screenwriting forum'.
-Have it savaged.
-Rewrite script.
-Repost script.
-Have it savaged again.
-Abandon project.
-Start new script with more experience about what people like.
-Post it on IT.
-Have it criticised.
-Rewrite, report.
-Have it praised.
-Shoot it.

Short film scripts don't take long to write but it'll take a while to acquire the skills necessary to make these concise stories actually mean something. A short film needs to stand on its own, it can't just be a segment of a longer story, but they can't try and be too big a story, you can't condense a feature film into 5 minutes. Getting that balance will require practice.

How about this:
Write script,
Post it on IT,
Get constructive criticism,
Edit script,
Re-post on IT,
Get advice on how to shoot it,
Shoot it,
Post it on IT,
Get constructive criticism,
Edit,
Re-post it,
Have it praised.
What do you think about that to do list?

Your package is on it's way. Unfortunately, the soft cases would not fit into the box. You will need to get a decent case, I recommend Pelican cases. You need a tripod that is designed for a video camera and has fairly stout legs. A good fluid head with drag control is nice. I use Bogen, but they are a tad spendy when you are on a budget. Since you have paid nothing for the camera and your brother can do the sound for you, you might be able to get your parents to pony up for a better set of legs (the tripod) and head (the part that the camera attaches to). I also included the owner's manual for the camera and a field user's guide. Study them both and experiment with the various settings.

Trust me, when Nick says "Savaged" he means it. Here on IndieTalk "Savaged" means constructive criticism, but it's going to be harsh.

I'm going to remind you again, your first attempts are going to be bad. Maybe about 0.000000001% come up with something brilliant on their first try. There's just too much you need to learn.

If your desire was to be a great guitar player you would need many, many, many focused hours of practicing to be good, and then quintuple that if you want to be truly great. You're not going to blow Jimi Hendrix off the stage three days after you get your first guitar. The same applies to all artistic disciplines, and they are truly disciplines that require LOTS of practice.

Back