• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Workflow to change the codec on hundreds of clips

Hi guys,

I'm looking for the simplest way to take a final cut pro project with hundreds of clips and change the codec of the clips.

The problem is, I've been using Apple Intermediate Codec, and it doesn't run on PCs.

In order to avoid generations of encoding, I think my best option is to reencode the original clips into my desired format.

The problem is, I'm not sure how to link the new, properly encoded clips to the project and edits that I've already created.

Any advice?

if you have the orginal clips from the camera, why re encode? Are you trying to move an editing session from MAC to PC? There might be better ways, EDL, comes to mind. Adobe can import FCP XML projects I think..

Are you trying to swap out existing footage with replacement footage?

If so, there's a function called "Replace Footage" in Prem. Has to be something similar in FCP.

This advice is good. Thanks guys.

Actually, for now I'm using Final Cut Express in my school's editing lab, so I have to wait for their new Pro software to arrive to complete this process.

Here's option 1:

1) Continue editing with Apple Intermediate Codec
2) When pro arrives, convert the original files to a Prores or some other codec supported in both Mac and Windows (Prores is supported in Windows, but only barely... in typical Apple fashion)
3) Use the "replace footage" function in pro (I still need to confirm that such a feature exists)
4) Export a fcp xml file
5) Open the project on my laptop with Premiere (which I still need to buy)
6) Reconnect the new codec clips.
7) Complete editing

All of this is a result of the fact that I don't think I can finish editing my feature in the next 17 days. In 17 days, I'm finishing my last class at my university, and I'm coming home, leaving the computer lab where I've been editing.

Option 2:
Convert my footage to a lossless codec and use pro to export the project into a video. Then import the video into Premiere. This is simpler, but I surrender some control.

Sorry if that was painful to read... half of the reason I'm writing this down is to try to understand it by putting it in words. You know what I mean?

You can batch process your files using COMPRESSOR or ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER, output them to a new directory, separate from your current raw footage that you used to edit with.

In most NLE's (including Final Cut and Premiere Pro), you can export the project as an EDL (Edit Decision List). This is a glorified TXT file. You can edit the EDL in Notepad. Open the EDL as a TXT file and do a SEARCH / REPLACE to change the location of the source files to the new directory with the newer codec files.

Save the EDL as a new name. Open the new EDL in your editing software and it will automatically update the entire project with the new files.

I did this with RED files to AVI files for an offline edit. It was amazingly simple and easy to go back to the R3D files from AVI edits at the last step for a 4K master.

You can batch process your files using COMPRESSOR or ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER, output them to a new directory, separate from your current raw footage that you used to edit with.

In most NLE's (including Final Cut and Premiere Pro), you can export the project as an EDL (Edit Decision List). This is a glorified TXT file. You can edit the EDL in Notepad. Open the EDL as a TXT file and do a SEARCH / REPLACE to change the location of the source files to the new directory with the newer codec files.

Save the EDL as a new name. Open the new EDL in your editing software and it will automatically update the entire project with the new files.

I did this with RED files to AVI files for an offline edit. It was amazingly simple and easy to go back to the R3D files from AVI edits at the last step for a 4K master.

You rock, sir. I'm saving that for the files.

Back