Wondrous times...

Just watched Philip Bloom's latest video, shot in Thailand on GoPros and Phantom quadcopters:

https://vimeo.com/97455734

Watching this just really gives me an appreciation for the wondrous times we live in. There are shots in there that a decade ago might not have been achievable by any means; the rest would have required hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of specialty equipment and a small crew. Now it's being shot by one person on vacation, carrying all his equipment in two backpacks, and everything required can be had for less than what I just spent on a moderately-priced used motorcycle. It's an amazing change in such a short time, and easy to take for granted - it'll be interesting to see what the next decade brings...

Certainly - this rapid change in tech is incredibly disruptive, and we're seeing the effects of that disruption across the film industry (and many others). And it's clear to me that the rate of change is accelerating as well, and disruption is likely to be the norm for (at least) the near future. The most important thing you can learn at this point is how to learn, and how to do so essentially on-demand, so that you can adapt quickly as the world shifts around you. If you can't do that it's going to be pretty hard going from here on out.

Back