Windows 8, my burden, my enemy (Dell)

To say I hate my quad core Dell XPS hotrod is an understatement. I can't even scroll through jpegs without crashes or some crazy COM Surrogate errors. It's no faster than my Dell w7, 3 years its senior.

It doesn't come with any software disk. I'm either going to shoot the computer, myself, or find a remedy.

I'm thinking to just do a clean fresh reinstall of everything, but I don't know how to do that.

What are my options? There are endless convoluted tech heavy MS websites for other sufferers, browsing them is like falling into a black hole.

I even get messages to update to w8.1 but when I try, somehow I end up with w8 and not upgrade. Thanks Bill! You got me again.

I was thinking of putting a craigslist ad offering 75 bucks to anyone that get this thing running right. I dunno. Please can someone at least hold my hand?

On the home Pc: its a passively cooled, completely silent machine. The Cpu is both overclocked and undervolted @ 4.4Ghz (tried a few 3770ks for the right one). All Hdds are Ssd; sound card is Xonar STX (amazing). I'm awaiting the drop of the GTX 800 series, but I'd recommend the 750 ti for a Premiere CC user

As you are doing a full reinstall - it is a wise move to swap your os drive for this now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29P1EC5222

Interesting thing is my DELL XPS came with a regular HDD and also a 32 gig SSD. Dell sales told me the OS was on that and it'd make it faster, but turns out it wasn't, and I don't really know what the purpose of the SSD is. Others around the web are puzzled too. Its shows up as DATAPART1 on my computer. totally empty to this day.

A friend who bought a Dell computer last year at work told me he got no disks, OS backup on a ROM chip or secondary hard drive. He is directed to go cloud support.

That's all well and good, until the hard drive crashes and the computer can't boot up to go on the Internet.

yes, that's how mine is. No CD. And I have absolutely no qualms about using a pirated Windows OS to get this thing right. I've already paid for a license, I just probably can't utilize it since it's on the cloud and it might take too long to download.

yes, that's how mine is. No CD. And I have absolutely no qualms about using a pirated Windows OS to get this thing right. I've already paid for a license, I just probably can't utilize it since it's on the cloud and it might take too long to download.
If it is too slow to download (it should be fine, the servers are usually pretty good so downlaod times are quick) you can torrent the install file without a crack. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing illegal about that. Then you can use your own product code to activate windows - which I think is usually somewhere on the computer or receipt. If not, there are programs that can find your product code for you
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-find-your-windows-8-or-8-1-product-key/#!MyqEi
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-product-key.htm

However, the install code should be embedded in the bios, so when you fresh install, it should automatically grab the product key (apparently) - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-it-came/a2dbcf1f-97b2-48a7-be57-56d1401c4e25

I would use one of the key finding programs and write it down just in case.

Interesting thing is my DELL XPS came with a regular HDD and also a 32 gig SSD. Dell sales told me the OS was on that and it'd make it faster, but turns out it wasn't, and I don't really know what the purpose of the SSD is. Others around the web are puzzled too. Its shows up as DATAPART1 on my computer. totally empty to this day.

Yes, that 32gb ssd would have a substantial impact on performance, if it was set up correctly by the manufacturer (as part of a 'hybrid combo w/ your magnetic) - you shouldn't be able to see it under My Computer

Is this a desktop?
If so, it would be wise to reseat the video card and ram. If a laptop, reseat the ram.
Then, we can likely narrow down any hardware issues to either power supply or magnetic HDD (the usual suspects)

The problem is probably stemming from a software issue though. A full Windows re-install will address this (a driver conflict may be the cause, and in this case, up to date re installed drivers from dell will likely fix it)

I won't dive in to this thread as there's enough input on the OP's woes already, but for those that are struggling to get to grips with (or don't want to upgrade to) win 8/8.1, I recommend installing an insanely useful mod called 'Classic Shell'.

Classic Shell adds/brings back a fully customisable start menu (you choose from XP, W7 etc styles and tweak from there). With the win explorer tweaks on, and the 'boot to desktop' mode enabled, it turns an OS that was designed for mobile touch devices back into one that you can efficiently access/manage your files and workflow again. Y'know, if you like to use your computer for more than just farcebook and all that wutsnapz stuff. ;)

While having some major hate for W8 when I first got it on a (thankfully, touchscreen) new laptop here, now that Classic Shell is installed I couldn't be happier. Seriously, go install the bloody thing now! :yes:

Linkywoo - http://www.classicshell.net/

I won't dive in to this thread as there's enough input on the OP's woes already, but for those that are struggling to get to grips with (or don't want to upgrade to) win 8/8.1, I recommend installing an insanely useful mod called 'Classic Shell'.

Classic Shell adds/brings back a fully customisable start menu (you choose from XP, W7 etc styles and tweak from there). With the win explorer tweaks on, and the 'boot to desktop' mode enabled, it turns an OS that was designed for mobile touch devices back into one that you can efficiently access/manage your files and workflow again. Y'know, if you like to use your computer for more than just farcebook and all that wutsnapz stuff. ;)

While having some major hate for W8 when I first got it on a (thankfully, touchscreen) new laptop here, now that Classic Shell is installed I couldn't be happier. Seriously, go install the bloody thing now! :yes:

Linkywoo - http://www.classicshell.net/

Thanks to all who have held my hand and offered suggestion.

About classic shell, so it makes it like old windows right? W8 is hilarious in the way they took an established interface and made it twice as hard. It's really funny. That Bill Gates really knows how to prank us right? Damn he's a wild man. Bill Gates is so funny.

Personally I hated windows 8 when I started using it. But when I had to roll back to windows 7 for a few days, I found myself missing w8. Not necessarily saying its better (I can do everything I need to with ease, and I would consider myself an advanced user - somewhere between the average consumer and low tier developers), but it seems to me most complaints about the new OS is just a resistance to change.

I think some devs have found w8 frustrating to work with, so maybe that's a legitimate criticism. However, for the average user, it seems to be more of an issue of getting used to the OS. And of course, if you don't want to, there's always apps like classic shell (and more). Personally I find the start menu clunky and frustrating to use - but I'm probably just used to w8 now.

Anyway, no point getting into the w8 debate, its nearly as cyclical and frustrating as the mac/pc debate. Op, have you had any luck thus far?

About classic shell, so it makes it like old windows right?

Yup. For intents and purposes, it will allow the startmenu/explorer to function just like your OS of choice, with all sorts of additional user pref tweaks. I suggest having a good dive through the options to see what it can do (r.click the start button once installed).

I really would recommend this mod to every single W8 user. It simply 'fixes' it! :)

Last edited:
Yup. For intents and purposes, it will allow the startmenu/explorer to function just like your OS of choice, with all sorts of additional user pref tweaks. I suggest having a good dive through the options to see what it can do (r.click the start button once installed).

I really would recommend this mod to every single W8 user. It simply 'fixes' it! :)

Just this mod and now the pic viewer scrolls through pics at high speed without crashing or COM surrogate errors. wtf?
Found a shop that wants 70 bucks for a complete windows reinstall. drivers included. Fair price?

In my opininon, no. It's actually really quite easy to do yourself if you carefully follow instructions. The hardest part is making the bootable USB.

I think this is the guide I followed to do it http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

I think an issue like this can be solved by following such a guide carefully. Nothing is explicitly hard, even if it sounds a bit foreign. Of course, if you feel uncomfortable, get a professional to do it. But like most professional fixes, its something you could easily do yourself.

8.1 is very good! And you don't need any legacy apps, they brought the Start menu back in .1. Those apps are just for people afraid of change.

Back