Will Actors Actually Show Up if You Say No Pay? lol

I'm just curious if actors will actually show up to an audition if you say no pay. I mean I know they probably will either way, but it seems like there would be a lot more if you say there is pay. Is it really a hit or miss type of thing if the concept is interesting enough though?

Yes, actors will and do show up for gigs that don't pay. Especially in larger cities since there are more actors just by virtue or a larger population.

I wouldn't bet on an open casting though, ask for headshots and resumes and invite actors to audition based on those. You'll have a much better ida of how many will turn out that way because you'll already have some communication.

Sure. Why wouldn't they? There are tonnes of actors who'll work just to have something for their reel. Others consider working for free better than not working at all; it keeps you in acting-shape.

You might need to make more allowances for scheduling, though. What's an actor gonna do, if they land a rent-paying gig for a few days in the middle of your no-pay shoot? You'd be cool with rescheduling around that, right?

Also remember you can post casting calls in acting schools and film schools where student actors are used to no pay gigs. Some will show and some others won't. The ones who won't aren't series about their future. Those who do understand the importance of a resume, demo reel, and reference for future gigs that do pay.

Even in SAG productions that pay full wages you can have problematic actors with bad attendance. I have a friend who was a SAG actress who got fired from a Broadway play for skipping plays and rehearsals because she was too drunk to get out of bed and get to work. That's why you should always ask for job references and call to verify they are reliable.

Yes, they will turn up.

What I've seemed to find is that if you put out a casting call, maybe 50 will apply. Of those, 25 will confirm a time and date, and then about 12 will actually turn up.

Not sure if this is common everywhere, but I've certainly seen it happen quite a few times.

I've shared this story before, but for the sake of new people, I will repeat what a high school friend of mine did to a production because people can learn from this.

My friend demands full pay and the script up front to work in a production to do stunts and acting. She got the script and a check for $3,000 for ten days work.

On her first day, she did not like someone on set and quit the production. Every time her phone rings, she is worried the producers are calling looking to get their money back.

I advised her to return the nine days pay she never worked. She won't.

Never pay in full to a cast or crew person because things like this does happen.

When the producer holds back money, you have a way to keep them in line with attendance and lateness.

Details of payment should all be set out in the deal memo that you sign. If the production was stupid enough to make that kind of deal with her, then the production's as much at fault as she is.

At the same time, I wouldn't say that move was any good for her reputation..

That doesn't mean 'never pay in full to a cast/crew member' it simply means stick to the terms of the deal memo, which is often weekly pay, paid at the end of each work week including overtime and loadings.

We haven't had a paid gig yet... and we have actors pushing us to get the next one rolling so they can get some time in front of the camera... it all depends on the professionalism of the set.

We haven't had a paid gig yet... and we have actors pushing us to get the next one rolling so they can get some time in front of the camera... it all depends on the professionalism of the set.

very good point there. I didn't think about it like that.

And we've done over a dozen productions with mostly the same core cast and crew. We treat it as if it is a community theatre troupe... we take our jobs seriously (although the mood on the set remains light) and use "Setiquette." Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am. we wait patiently for our turn to talk to the director and the director in turn gives us "the finger." S/he holds up an index finger toward the next person they are going to address so they can finish a full thought with the person they're currently discussing things with before taking a breath and moving the person at the end of their finger. It's a promise that a moment waiting will give you their fullest attentions.

Back