why don't studios release their movies online as well?

like it says, how come movie studios don't release their movies (for a fee of course) on the internet at the same time it is released in theaters?

obviously i know they make their money from theaters, but why not distribute online as well?

i'd ask them myself but they don't want to be contacted.

the point of the theater distro is to make money for the theaters (much higher $$$ than per dvd sales for both the theater and the studios), which people won't go to if they can watch the movie at home... of course, a few do release through itunes at the same time as the DVD release.

yea but why make money for the theaters? (or did you mean "from the theaters"?) the studio isn't the theater/the theater isn't the studio, right?

they could still make $$$ for online viewings of newly released movies

The rental prices theaters pay for the reels is a fairly substantial amount afaik.. Either way, the idea behind staggered release times for theater, dvd, online, tv, etc is to maximize the revenue potential.

If the film were released both in theaters and online simultaneously, there is a risk of lost potential revenue.. With budgets steadily climbing for many films, that's a risk studios don't want to take. I can't say that I blame them. ;)

Theatre releases are seen as the marketing which drives DVD sales... people are more likely to buy a DVD of a film that had a cinema release, even if they didn't see it in a theatre.

I know I do that all the time... see a film on at the cinema, think that's looks interesting... and then wait for the DVD release.

Most people stack their film choices like that... films you'll go to see on the big screen, then films you'll rent on DVD, then films that didn't get a cinema release, but a friend recommends it (which is how I found Boondock Saints)... and finally, rentals of last resort... what you rent a blockbuster when you've seen all the other films and the cover has something that catches your eye.

Online releases are the release of last resort, because it doesn't lead to addition sales... theatrical releases do.

Film marketing... it's a strange old thing! LOL

valid points.

but it seems to me that if they were online (like an online movie theater) it wouldn't cost as much to distribute and the studio could be payed just as much for the digital "reels" (or "videos" in this case).

im sure millions of people would go to a program and watch movies and there would be just as much, if not MORE marketing considering it's easier to go to a website than driving to a theater. friends would still tell friends about a movie they saw online. word of mouth is not eliminated. advertisements on a site are like the posters in a theater. it just makes sense to me.

please feel free to prove me wrong.

Online releases are the release of last resort, because it doesn't lead to addition sales...
I'm not sure if this is based in anything more than industry FUD. It's been shown that people who download music buy more music than people who don't. I, personally, would be more likely to buy a DVD if I could watch the movie on-line for a small fee, to see if I really like it. The DVDs in my collection are mostly movies that I saw once and decided I had to have in my library. The harder it is for me to see a movie, the less likely it is I'll ever purchase the DVD. Of course, that's just me.

Has anyone ever tried an on-line release in tandem with a theatrical release to see if it would generate sales? You can hardly make such a claim, if it's never been tested.

Doug

I'm not sure if this is based in anything more than industry FUD. It's been shown that people who download music buy more music than people who don't. I, personally, would be more likely to buy a DVD if I could watch the movie on-line for a small fee, to see if I really like it. The DVDs in my collection are mostly movies that I saw once and decided I had to have in my library. The harder it is for me to see a movie, the less likely it is I'll ever purchase the DVD. Of course, that's just me.

Has anyone ever tried an on-line release in tandem with a theatrical release to see if it would generate sales? You can hardly make such a claim, if it's never been tested.

Doug

Yes, doug thank you. Can someone answer that question please?

HDNet Films and Magnolia Pictures tried it in 2005 Steven
Soderberg's "Bubble". It wasn't profitable. I always wondered if
thing would have been different if they had tried it with
"Ocean's 13"

But right now, with the current market there is no way to "prove"
you wrong. You're theory is as valid as anyone's. Someday soon a
distribution company will give it a try. If millions of people
are willing to pay $10 to watch a huge, sci-fi or action film on
line then more will do it.

You're sure millions would. I'm not so sure. People still like
seeing a huge film like Iron Man, or Hulk or even Get Smart on a
big screen. The only way to prove you wrong would be for a major
distributor with a "tent pole" summer blockbuster to take the
financial risk.

And doing it just might prove you right.

But, damn, that's a HUGE gamble with money.....

Is that the way you and most of your friends would rather watch a movie?

BUBBLE

"Ocean's 13"

financial risk.

I just finished watching BUBBLE and listened to BOTH commentaries... I keep wondering why THIS film to test the waters. I won't say it was terrible because it wasn't but it certainly wasn't the kind of film to test this theory with.

I think you're absolutely correct... Let's see what happens if they do it with a movie that could do outstanding boxoffice.

I know this... I've watched a couple of movies online that made me want to buy the movie but I've probably watched more online that kept me from buying the movie. LOL.

Some movies most definitely have to be seen on the big screen to truly appreciate them... I think Hollywood might be a little too scared to give the tentpole online release a try but you never know. Especially with a film that costs $100 Million plus to make...

filmy

"Ocean's 13"

financial risk.

(For awhile I thought Bubble was "Bubble Boy" till i went to imdb.com haha) So was "Bubble" released in BOTH theaters AND online? Of course it wouldn't be profitable if it was ONLY released online...and I'm not encouraging the downfall of theater viewings in favor of online ones by the way.

To answer the last question, I don't think I'd prefer seeing a movie online with my friends of course but I think I would watch MORE theater-released movies if they were online as well. I'd still go to the movies with friends to see The Incredible Hulk...but then the next afternoon I'd like to see The Happening by myself without having to get friends together again.

I don't see why a distribution company would pick up a movie if it is being released online by someone else, so it would have to be picked up in whole by a distributor and they would have to release it both ways. But I doubt anyone would do this with a big-time film, because it's just too big a risk with all that money on the line.

And I agree with Rik, I'm not so sure people would be all for it. A group of people or a family isn't going to sit around a computer to watch a movie. Even two people sitting around a computer in a dorm room back in the day was a little off for me. Also, I think security issues would probably prevent this from happening. Somehow, someway, someone would find a way to pirate the movies and pretty soon you'd have them all over the internet for free. I don't think a company is willing to risk that either. The last thing they want is somekind of movie version of napster or kazaa or whatever people use nowadays.

I don't mind going to the theater alone, but it takes at least an hour longer for me to see a film at a theater than it does to watch it at home, and that can be a tipping point with my schedule.

I only go to the theater to see movies that have big imagery, like action flicks, sci-fi movies, etc. I do think we're seeing some new options emerge for on-line distribution; things like Apple TV, where the movie can be sent right to your entertainment center and distributors can be reassured somewhat that their property rights will be protected.

Regarding movies showing up on the internet for free, Jijengi, where the hec have you been? Movies are available for download on the internet often before their theatrical release, and at least the day after. The easiest way to film a feature movie is to take your camcorder to the theater and film someone else's feature movie! ;) I don't condone piracy, but I don't think anyone can make an argument for keeping their movie off the internet, once it's released in any form. It's going to be out there, now the question is, are you going to make a profit from it?

The RIAA has been trying unsuccessfully to stem on-line music sharing. In most ways, I'm on their side, because it's their product, but I also think they're like some guy building a sand castle below the high tide line and then trying to hold back the tide to protect it.

BTW: I'm not arguing for, or against internet releases. I do understand it's a huge risk, but you can't tell me that Hollywood is too lean to take risks, and we really don't know how it might pan out. Maybe there should be a theatrical release, followed by a streaming internet release a week later, then DVD release simultaneously with a pay per download version.

I really suck at marketing, so I'm just sticking my 2 cents in here. I'd be the last one to tell someone how to market their product. I build things, I don't market them (unless I'm stuck with the job).

Doug

I'm 19 and I don't. My generation doesn't really go by themselves too often, honestly. (Or at least we don't tell each other we do). In fact it's unlikely that any future TEEN generations will start.

And I would watch dvd's on my laptop with my roommate or friends in my dorm every now and then. We had a decent sound system so I guess that helped.

Finally, to answer Jijenji, the distribution company would still be forced to buy reels if they aim to make money, no? There wouldn't be much they could do about it right?

(For awhile I thought Bubble was "Bubble Boy" till i went to imdb.com haha) So was "Bubble" released in BOTH theaters AND online? Of course it wouldn't be profitable if it was ONLY released online...and I'm not encouraging the downfall of theater viewings in favor of online ones by the way.

To answer the last question, I don't think I'd prefer seeing a movie online with my friends of course but I think I would watch MORE theater-released movies if they were online as well. I'd still go to the movies with friends to see The Incredible Hulk...but then the next afternoon I'd like to see The Happening by myself without having to get friends together again.

Like rik said... BUBBLE was released in both but nobody really cared boxoffice-wise. I totally forgot about it myself until it showed up in the mail from NetFlix... It had been in my queue since it was released. Lots of movies in my queue.

My gut tells me however, that there wouldn't be ENOUGH people who would do both i.e., watch it online and at the theater unless it's a fantastic film.

And there's not a whole lotta those these days.

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 19 and I don't. My generation doesn't really go by themselves too often, honestly. (Or at least we don't tell each other we do). In fact it's unlikely that any future TEEN generations will start.

And I would watch dvd's on my laptop with my roommate or friends in my dorm every now and then. We had a decent sound system so I guess that helped.

Finally, to answer Jijenji, the distribution company would still be forced to buy reels if they aim to make money, no? There wouldn't be much they could do about it right?

The only distribution companies that MIGHT be forced to obtain reels or whatever means of projection would very likely be a distributor who also made the flick... Like Warners who does both.

A lot of distributors wouldn't even show a film if it was also released online unless the film was really viral and got really good press. It's just way too risky at this stage.

It's not a lot different from SMALL TOWN USA... The theaters only show the films that will probably do the best boxoffice for them overall. I've lived in too many small towns and still do that fail to bring anything to the theater but the large tentpole films in order to maximize profits.

So you'd also have to worry about theater owners renting the film... Or should I say, NOT renting the film.

filmy

Like rik said... BUBBLE was released in both but nobody really cared boxoffice-wise. I totally forgot about myself until it showed up in the mail from NetFlix... It had been in my queue since it was released. Lots of movies in my queue.

My gut tells me however, that there wouldn't be ENOUGH people who would do both i.e., watch it online and at the theater unless it's a fantastic film.

And there's not a whole lotta those these days.

filmy

In my opinion, there would be just about AS MANY people, if not MORE. I'm saying people would probably watch those sub-par films online and even really crappy movies if the price was good enough.

There are a lot advances in technology coming about if you haven't noticed. Things like Apple TV make it possible to watch a movie from your computer on your TV. I doubt Microsoft will follow suite for PC users since they have had enough success.. But people might buy a transfer device like Apple TV if it meant they could watch theater movies in the comfort of their home.

Back