why don't studios release their movies online as well?

like it says, how come movie studios don't release their movies (for a fee of course) on the internet at the same time it is released in theaters?

obviously i know they make their money from theaters, but why not distribute online as well?

i'd ask them myself but they don't want to be contacted.

In my opinion, there would be just about AS MANY people, if not MORE. I'm saying people would probably watch those sub-par films online and even really crappy movies if the price was good enough.

There are a lot advances in technology coming about if you haven't noticed. Things like Apple TV make it possible to watch a movie from your computer on your TV. I doubt Microsoft will follow suite for PC users since they have had enough success.. But people might buy a transfer device like Apple TV if it meant they could watch theater movies in the comfort of their home.

I am HIGHLY AWARE of the advances in technology. LOL.

No offense but if the research showed that there were enough people willing to do BOTH, they would certainly being doing both.

One of the problems that makes this a riskier venture than music is word of mouth... Even if a few thousand people in your age demographic watch a sub-par film online, that could -- especially because of the Internet -- kill the film if the word of mouth goes wide enough. Music is different in that groups and artists have their own fan base built-in. It won't matter if I bad mouth somebody's album to a true fan.

Unfortunately, films do not enjoy the same kind of fan base. Probably because there's just too many variables and is ultimately a much more collaborative medium.

By the same token, if the film is outstanding, it could become viral and word of mouth could catapult it to bigger boxoffice.

Having said that however...

Take a look at the films that come out today... Would it be worth the risk since so many films just do not live up to their hype?

Probably not at this point.

The technology is close but distributors haven't caught up with technology and they aren't likely to for at least a few more years because at this point, it's just too risky to do something like this with a film that cost $50 Mil to $150 Mil.

People are NO DOUBT going to purchase more appliances like Apple TV in the future... It's inevitable.

But for now there's no real consistent solution to both release films online and in theaters simultaneously. Not enough people have Apple TV OR are purchasing Apple TV and it's going to take a few more years for people to get rid of their current televisions in favor of widescreen televisions. In fact, I'm the only person I know with a widescreen. None of my family or friends in this vicinity care enough about movies to go out and purchase a widescreen.

Yet.

Of course it's going to happen eventually... Yet just about all these same people have iPods and MP3 players and amazing stereo equipment.

Not that this is by any means a scientific analysis...

I think it just plain comes down to this...

Most movies suck.

filmy

So many things to respond to here...ok:

Firstly, please, point me to this "research" that you say would change the distributors minds: distributors are now big-time rich old-media players and like elephants trying to turn around in a bathtub, they will slowwly change. You even say that it is inevitable for people to purchase things like Apple TV...basically showing that it is inevitable for this to happen. But forget Apple TV for now since I agree with you saying that almost nobody owns them anyways.

Secondly, word of mouth after watching online would be JUST THE SAME as a theater release. Anyways, most people check reviews online and then decide if they want to go to see it. Take "Zohan": people have heard it sucks and it won't do as well in theaters. So maybe they won't watch it on the big screen but will watch it on their laptop in their spare time.

(Finally, on your last point, I agree ALOT of movies suck nowadays but some of MY favorite movies have come out in the last 5 years: kingdom of heaven, Into the Wild, V for vendetta, children of men)

So many things to respond to here...ok:

Firstly, please, point me to this "research" that you say would change the distributors minds: distributors are now big-time rich old-media players and like elephants trying to turn around in a bathtub, they will slowwly change. You even say that it is inevitable for people to purchase things like Apple TV...basically showing that it is inevitable for this to happen. But forget Apple TV for now since I agree with you saying that almost nobody owns them anyways.

Secondly, word of mouth after watching online would be JUST THE SAME as a theater release. Anyways, most people check reviews online and then decide if they want to go to see it. Take "Zohan": people have heard it sucks and it won't do as well in theaters. So maybe they won't watch it on the big screen but will watch it on their laptop in their spare time.

(Finally, on your last point, I agree ALOT of movies suck nowadays but some of MY favorite movies have come out in the last 5 years: kingdom of heaven, Into the Wild, V for vendetta, children of men)

You're kidding, right?

Many of the big name distributors are looking for ways to capitalize on the Internet as a way to release films. This is and HAS BEEN a point of intense focus for the past year.

They don't share their research... LOL. That would be ridiculous -- this is a competitive business and everyone watches what everyone else does while they perform their research.

You seem to think that EVERYTHING is on the net... LOL. Not hardly. All one has to do is read the trades on a daily business to KNOW that major players are working on this RIGHT NOW.

And not all distributors are as you put it:

distributors are now big-time rich old-media players

And APPARENTLY, you misread what I wrote... I NEVER said that there was any EXISTING RESEARCH to make the big-time rich old-media players turn around in their bathtubs so why are you asking me to point you to it? LOL.

In fact, I said that there is no such research that is going to make current distributors immediately capitalize on the Internet:

No offense but if the research showed that there were enough people willing to do BOTH, they would certainly being doing both.

Secondly, word of mouth after watching online would be JUST THE SAME as a theater release.

Exactly my point. With a simultaneous release, you run the risk of too much bad word of mouth getting out TOO SOON. LOL. That could kill a movie in the 2nd week of release. Why would any distributor or even theater owner take a risk like that? Especially with a movie that's not tested well with audiences.

Anyways, most people check reviews online and then decide if they want to go to see it.

Did you even read what I wrote? LOL. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about... LOL.

So maybe they won't watch it on the big screen but will watch it on their laptop in their spare time.

How could YOU possibly know that?

So what?

For every good movie (which is debatable), there's over a hundred ones that suck. What's your point?

filmy

Doug,

I for one would never watch a pirated movie that was of low quality, recorded by a hand-held in the theatre. That's crap...that would ruin the experience to the point I wouldn't watch something like that.

When I was a freshman there were these kids on the floor below me who had set up a highly illegal very high speed sharing network. The feds came in and arrested them at some point that year but I wasn't around so I don't really know much about that part of it. I do know that I somehow got my hands on a VERY high quality Lord of the Rings Two Towers, before it was even out in the theatre. It was the version sent out to the Academy. My friend downloaded it in about 2 seconds, and we watched it in the dorm before it was even in the theatre.

Needless to say, since I saw the film like that, I had no need to go see it in the theatre. So if distributors put out high quality copies of their film on the internet to d/l, I don't see why anyone would go to the theatre to see it too. I just don't think it'll happen with anything big.

One other note, I also think the music industry is a lot different. They can do live shows and that's how a lot of them make their profits anyways, via tours. Movies don't have that.

Exactly my point. With a simultaneous release, you run the risk of too much bad word of mouth getting out TOO SOON. LOL. That could kill a movie in the 2nd week of release. Why would any distributor or even theater owner take a risk like that? Especially with a movie that's not tested well with audiences.

So release online when the theater sales go down perhaps

Did you even read what I wrote? LOL. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about... LOL.

LOLZORZ...haha

How could YOU possibly know that?

Because I would do that.

So what?

For every good movie (which is debatable), there's over a hundred ones that suck. What's your point?

just trying to give you hope in films that's all.

So release online when the theater sales go down perhaps

LOLZORZ...haha

Because I would do that.

just trying to give you hope in films that's all.

I do have HOPE in films... That's why I'm a screenwriter and IN the business. And just because YOU would do that doesn't make it some kind of TRUTH.

And now you're changing your entire mindset... To release online when the sales go down. LOL.

Uh... Okay. LOL.

I think I'm done but it was interesting...

filmy

I do have HOPE in films... That's why I'm a screenwriter and IN the business. And just because YOU would do that doesn't make it some kind of TRUTH.

I never said it was the truth. I just meant that I have an idea of what might sell by looking at what I would buy (and also what my friends and family would buy)

And now you're changing your entire mindset... To release online when the sales go down. LOL.

just trying out different scenarios. there's a solution to every problem.

Uh... Okay. LOL.

say LOL one more time! I dare you, I double-dare you mother-f***er...say LOL one more ***-d*mn time. :yes:

I think I'm done but it was interesting...

that's what she said

ok seriously i want this thread to remain open for discussion. please share your views if you think studios could distribute in theaters as well as online and make money REGARDLESS of it resulting in distribution companies unhappy faces :grumpy:.

The truth is the film industry is in a bit of a tiz at the moment... it knows what has worked in the past, but as everyone has pointed out there is no clear model for getting an online release to work. They're also paying close attention to how the digital roll out has effected the music industry.

Now, Hollywood films are incredibly expensive, $54M+ to produce... so, that decreases their ability to stray from the tried and trusted distribution techniques, in order to test out a distribution technique that may not work. Hollywood isn't afraid of new technology... and the one thing the big studios do understand is how to do global distribution... that's why they own the world, in terms of market share.

The whole online distribution scene is going to be pioneered by indies who have less invested, therefore less to lose. When someone makes seriously big money as an indie via online distribution, I think the studios will follow. Either that or some smart exec will figure out a workable strategy and use it to grab a competitive edge.

The problem with your position Mista, is you've made a classic marketing error... you've based your stance, on your own personal buying patterns, rather than on data accumulated over global sales. In market research they cal that "using a sample of 1"... the smaller the sample the less accurate the results in predicting trends.

The people in the studios know exactly how many people are watching in cinemas and how that converts into DVD sales... and at the moment I don't see to many studio distribution execs pan-handling on Sunset Strip. They are still getting it right.

Now, personally I think the move to digital distribution is inevitable... but I think we're looking at five to ten years before it becomes the norm.

Last edited:
thanks clive for setting me straight. you're absolutely right.

and on the story from slate, two stats stood out to me:

"In 2005, however, those moviegoers provided the studios with less than 15 percent of their worldwide revenues, while couch potatoes provided it with 85.8 percent."

and

"...a top studio executive pointed out after studying the problem, A 6% reduction in attendance in 2000-2001 led to half the movie theaters in the world going bankrupt "

i too think digital distribution is inevitable, but i wonder how it would effect the quantity of theaters there are?

are there already indie websites and programs that distribute films online? i know of Babelgum and Movieset, any others? Will they be the pioneers of digital distribution?

Last edited:
A more recent article pointed out that 2007 set records for box office revenue (that's gross dollars, not necessarily more tickets sold). Also, the foreign box office market is apparently much larger than the domestic market, and of course DVD sales are good.

Sorry, I didn't bookmark the more recent information. It was sort of a rant against the New York Times and a little hard to read.

i want to bump this thread by asking a question:

does anybody know of any online indie distribution programs?

i can only remember babelgum right now. there's also some programs that allow you to rent movies to watch online but i forgot the name (such as itunes is kinda doing)

Back