WHY DOES MY VIDEO TAKE SO LONG TO RENDER?

Sorry to put my title in all caps but this is crucial and I'm in a time crunch.

I am doing a video, edited it in Adobe Premiere Pro, started to render it at 70% quality, 1080x720, uncompressed audio(48000blablabla), about 1h5m long.

I walk into my room 15 min after pressing start, and it says it has 139h left! I thought it just had some elapsed time and should die down pretty quick. 30 min later, 161h!!!!!!!!

I have a 2006 macbook pro, Snow leopard 10.6.3, 2Ghz intel core duo, 1.5GB ram, ect.

Any ideas???

what r u planning on doing with ur finished film? is it just going up on youtube? if so you can choose a lower quality output method and it will render faster.
u can do that by going to export, adobe media encoder and choosing h264.

That's Adobe Premiere for ya. It does a horrible job of calculating time. When I export videos on it, it starts with a long estimated time, but winds down as the render progresses. For me, it easily goes from 1hr down to 15min. Just give it overnight, maybe a day, and see how far the render goes.

There is a lot of computation that goes into rendering HD footage. That 2GHz chip is on the low end for HD processing, most people suggest at least a 3GHz, and even then it's going to take a long time to render an hour of footage.

Also you ram is seriously lacking at 1.5gig..

Will it work? Yeah, probably... But it will take a LONG time because you're overtaxing your system to do the render. Underpowered processor and not enough ram -- it's almost certainly swapping to disk as well which will bring things to a crawl.

Keep in mind, you're working on a laptop. Yes, I know it's a mac... but at the end of the day it's a laptop, and they're meant for longer operation on battery power, not sheer brute computational force. HD editing/rendering is almost always best suited to a desktop machine with a LOT more memory, a much faster processor, and a lot of fast disk space (preferably RAID)

I've got a quad core running at 3.8GHz/core with 12 gig of ram. I wouldn't expect a render of that size to be anywhere noteworthy within a half hour. Honestly I'm a bit surprised that this surprised you.

That's Adobe Premiere for ya. It does a horrible job of calculating time. When I export videos on it, it starts with a long estimated time, but winds down as the render progresses. For me, it easily goes from 1hr down to 15min. Just give it overnight, maybe a day, and see how far the render goes.

This is a great misconception of Adobe Premiere.

What happens is specifically this, when rendering, whatever task it is working on at that moment, the calculation for rendering is based on that specific item. It's basically saying that if the rest of the timeline that needs rendering has these affects and processes on them, then it will take XX amount of time to finish. Once it gets past that point, it will re-calculate the estimated time left based on the new render item on the time line.

In other words, adding a title will say estimated time left is only 30 second, but once it gets to an intense color correction, it will suddenly go up to 30 minutes remaining. Those estimates are based on what it is rendering at that exact moment.

Does that make sense?

As for the specific problem of the initial post, it sounds like you might not even have the project set to the same settings as your footage, especially since I've never heard of 1080x720 as being an option, as there is 1280x720, 1440x1080, and 1920x1080.

I'd say look into the NEOSCENE codec from www.cineform.com as that would solve all your problems. Works with the MAC too!

Will's right - rendering HD is very computationally intensive, there's no two ways about it. I'd definitely recommend adding more RAM, I think your model will take up to 3GB. Are you using your system drive as a scratch disk/to render to? Using an external HDD for this should speed things up a bit too, especially when you haven't got a huge amount of memory - OS X uses the system HDD as virtual memory when it runs out of RAM.

Maybe I should add some info:

1) I am 13.
2) This is a school talent show video.
3) I will be distributing it for $$.
4) Should I buy a used Mac Desktop?

I am looking at a used Mac G5- 2.3GHz processor( can get 2.7), 160GB hhd, 4-8GB of ram, a super drive.
Is this good enough? Anyone recommend anything else is a $400 - $750 range?

Last edited:
It shouldn't stretch anything. It is in proportion to the size of my video footage. If I type in 720 as the width, it will automatically set the height to 480(or whatever is in proportion).

It still has 100 hours left............

1 with two zero's.......

hours.......

left.....

I'd say no to the G5. Although you're technically getting a better spec of machine, you're going backwards with technology - the G5s are PPC Macs, whereas your MacBook Pro has an Intel processor. Most software being released now (and for some time) will not run on PPC Macs. You never said if you had an external HDD, but if not I think that would be the best investment for a small portion of your budget.

proportional doesn't mean its NOT stretching, or mean that it is for that matter, those proportional numbers are just a calculation based on the project preset you picked when you created the new project. If your "video output size" is anything different than you source video YOU COULD be scaling\stretching.. however, that doesn't mean you are.

What is your source video size?

For cool extra wide wide-screen I have a PP custom preset that has output 1920x800 (my video source files are 1920x1080) I have to move each clip up or down in the monitor window to get what I want in the frame. This actually speeds up my render as I'm not rendering the entire 1920x1080 frame, only a part of it. This is NOT scaled, I simply don't use a band at the top and bottom of the frame.

proportional doesn't mean its NOT stretching, or mean that it is for that matter, those proportional numbers are just a calculation based on the project preset you picked when you created the new project. If your "video output size" is anything different than you source video YOU COULD be scaling\stretching.. however, that doesn't mean you are.

What is your source video size?

For cool extra wide wide-screen I have a PP custom preset that has output 1920x800 (my video source files are 1920x1080) I have to move each clip up or down in the monitor window to get what I want in the frame. This actually speeds up my render as I'm not rendering the entire 1920x1080 frame, only a part of it. This is NOT scaled, I simply don't use a band at the top and bottom of the frame.

I think mines 1980 x 1080 0r something close to that. I have the same camera a s you wheatgrinder. What computer in my price range would be good for my HD video rendering/editing?

Honestly, Iv never rendered anything that long. Can you render it out as "chapters" and use some other tool to rejoin the chapters? If its DVD then just keep it chapters and create your time line in your DVD software. Im not saying EVERY scene, but maybe break it up into 10 min chunks...

Might be a smart move just for the purposes of future changes. Imagine, after this 100 hours render finishes and you realize that you left one scene Un color corrected or something.. crap another 100 hours.. vs, oh I only need to render that 10 minute bit and re burn a DVD.

Chillipie: I do have a 500 GB external. I thought it would be quicker to do it too my hhd but it is quicker to do it to my external?

If it's a Firewire drive, theoretically yes. You shouldn't use your system drive for keeping media on. I suspect the main issue here is either a lack of RAM or some funky rendering settings though.

If it's a Firewire drive, theoretically yes. You shouldn't use your system drive for keeping media on. I suspect the main issue here is either a lack of RAM or some funky rendering settings though.

I have checked my setting over and over. I restarted yesterday at 5 with lower SD settings. It now of right now has.... 53hours, 5 minutes, and 48 seconds.

Wait, now its 53h 5 min and 40secs.

Either I need to type faster or the video should go ahead and RENDER!:grumpy:

UGH!

What a 13 year old does for his school :hmm:

Chilipe: It is USB... yeah I know. Not gonna work. I usually use it as a scratch disk BUT I am using Preimere Pro instead of my usual FCE 4, because it well, broke (getting it fixed) and I was in such a rush that I forgot to set everything. Yeah, it bit me, deep.... and it's still bleeding, and sore...

re

Wow over a hundred hours. I thought my old pc sucked with sony vegas when it took 9 hours to render 20 minute videos. When it took 9 hours I think I only had 1 gig of ram. I later updated ram to 2 gigs and that helped a lot. Now it only takes maybe 1.5 hours instead of 9. The major thing I did to speed up render times was to beak the movie into chapters as suggested above. Then it only takes maybe 30 minutes for 5 minute chapters. Then I used a program for burning DVDs to put the time line together. As long as you match volume levels you should be able to do this. I used Unleaded DVD Movie Factory 6 to put the DVD together. There may be better DVD authoring software out there. The version I had was pretty old. But it worked. I wonder what software you guys use for this?

Side note I think doing chapters is a good way to do it for another reason it is also easier to up the quality of your movie by focusing in on small parts and making sure they are edited and flow real well. If each chapter is a work of art then the whole thing will seem better. I normally try to edit everything down to the essentials and experiment on making is as short as possible to keep the movie moving fast and keep the viewers interest. I am just a newbie but that is what I have done after messing around editing for my first short movie.

I did try using Advid and some others including Premiere . Advid is even more of a memory hog and I am guessing Premiere is too from what you said. If I saw a render time that long I would uninstall the program and get sony vegas. I found sony vegas to be a lot more efficient for using less memory. I switched from sony vegas 9 pro demo to the sony vegas movie hd studio. The movie hd studio is limited to only four video tracks and was only $40. But the limitation did actually help render times. The thing can render short 5 to ten minute parts fast may in 30 minutes or less depending on the extent you edited or used plugins. I was using a Dell 2005 model Inspiron 6000 with a slow processor and 2 gigs of RAM. I would think that using the less amount of video tracks could save you memory for rendering.

I just got a new pc yesterday and I am excited to see how it does with sony vegas and cakewalk sonar. It has windows 7 64 bit with 4 gigs of Ram expandable to 8. I got the Core i3 M330 Chip 2.13 GHz. I plan on upgrading to sony vegas 9 that allows more video tracks down the road since I got this new more powerful computer. My new pc is a Toshiba Satellite A505. Got it at Best Buy. They had a real good deal going. I think it was roughly $650. So if you want to save money buying a computer don't buy a MAC get a PC. MACs are expensive for what they are if you compare specs to other PCs and price.

By the way you can download Sony Vegas Trials like I did and test it out before buying. I think it was a 30 day trial.

Side Note:
For those who get a new pc with windows 7 64 bit make sure to learn how to install old files which are not 64 bit native using the troubleshoot. You right click on the files before installing and select troubleshoot compatablity. Then select that the program last worked with XP. That trick worked. Also make sure your are loged in as administator. This works for installing most old programs. Also make sure your firewall and anti spyware is turned off durring installation.

I just looked up the system requirements for Sony Vegas and Mac is not supported it is a Windows only program. You could us it with Bootcamp maybe. The other option is to get Final Cut Pro which I have heard great things about for apple. So try using chapters in Premiere pro as others have said. If that still does not work then maybe try SV or FCP.

Last edited:
Back