Why does my laptop hum?

I just bought a new ASUS laptop for 12 hundred and its pretty sick, but for somereason it makes this extremely loud humming noise..

i thought maybe it was when other electronics are near it but that theory was proved wrong, or when you hold it on the bottom.. but that was wrong too..

the humming usually happens when i go to move it and ll immediatly put it back to where it was and it goes away.. is starts low then gets really loud really fast..

it was also happening when i was in fruity loops messing aroud with the recording and my speakers.. i would turn on my speakers to tlk into and it would pick up the faintest hum and keep bouncing it back and froth till it gets ear piercing..

i have no idea why this happens or if my laptop is difective.. anyone?

the humming usually happens when i go to move it and ll immediatly put it back to where it was and it goes away.. is starts low then gets really loud really fast..

My MacBook Pro does this, and I think it's if you tip it to the side, either the fans or the HDD that get slightly off-balance and make noise. It's never caused me a problem though (in 4+ years between multiple MBPs). Not sure about your other noise issues, though. I think I'd take it back or take it for warranty service if it's new. Better safe than sorry.

according to my local scientologist missionaries, your laptop has a high Grakton count, and should be taken to the nearest Scientology religious center. Bring your credit card, and the curse of the underwater volcano lord Vactron will be removed from your machine. And stick around for the brainwashing siminar. It's hard to get them clean at home.

My MacBook Pro does this, and I think it's if you tip it to the side, either the fans or the HDD that get slightly off-balance and make noise. It's never caused me a problem though (in 4+ years between multiple MBPs). Not sure about your other noise issues, though. I think I'd take it back or take it for warranty service if it's new. Better safe than sorry.

yeah i was testing the noise and i noticed when i would tilt it certain ways.. but i also turned off my sound and now it doesnt hum? i think theres like 2 speakers picking up audio and its eckoing it back and forth making it really loud..

thank you though for actually helping me

I hate Asus. I spent about 11 hundred on one, so probably similar to yours. After a year it started sounding like a plane, it was that loud. I took it to their service since I had the warranty, they held it for 4 months, and told me they replaced all the messed up components, the tiny nick in the corner of my supposedly "replaced screen" was still there. Also, files were still on my "replaced hard drive". Be careful with Asus

^ Just thought this was somewhat relevant, because my Asus now makes a loud hum every time a headphone isn't plugged in. The headphone jack is also broken along with the screen, power adapter, hard drive, and the fan. It's never left my desk :)

yeah i was testing the noise and i noticed when i would tilt it certain ways.. but i also turned off my sound and now it doesnt hum? i think theres like 2 speakers picking up audio and its eckoing it back and forth making it really loud..

thank you though for actually helping me

Sounds like there might be a wire inside that isn't properly shielded or something, probably related to or in close proximity to your speakers. So when you tilt it, it's probably getting closer to some component that's making it hum. This is complete speculation, I have no clue without actually hearing it.

I'd definitely exchange it (if it hasn't been long) or have it replaced/fixed under warranty (just make sure you back everything up if you send it for warranty work).

yeah i just got it last week so tis still under warranty, and i thought that it was the speakers but i turned them off andi actually heard the noise again.. its not like a fan noise though its gets high pitched i dont even know.. ill probably send it back but then ill lose my programs and shit right? like AE and vegas and shit

yeah i just got it last week so tis still under warranty, and i thought that it was the speakers but i turned them off andi actually heard the noise again.. its not like a fan noise though its gets high pitched i dont even know.. ill probably send it back but then ill lose my programs and shit right? like AE and vegas and shit

They'll nuke your drive as a matter of course, so yeah, anything that you do not have on some other media like a DVD or external drives will be lost.

In fact, if they follow the current lazy-tech MO that plagues the Geek Squads and the Genius Bars of the world; they'll wipe and reinstall your OS to factory before they even start checking for hardware issues.

Where did you buy it; if it is only a week old, you should be able to argue for a replacement rather than being forced to sit through a repair period on a brand new machine. Don't settle for the store's "party line" BS. Talk to a manager. It's unacceptable for a computer to be purchased, only to go into the repair shop within a week where you won't see it for who knows how long.

Or just return it, eat the restocking fee, and get a refurbished Dell or HP workstation grade laptop. Use their Business websites, not their Home ones.

They'll nuke your drive as a matter of course, so yeah, anything that you do not have on some other media like a DVD or external drives will be lost.

In fact, if they follow the current lazy-tech MO that plagues the Geek Squads and the Genius Bars of the world; they'll wipe and reinstall your OS to factory before they even start checking for hardware issues.

Where did you buy it; if it is only a week old, you should be able to argue for a replacement rather than being forced to sit through a repair period on a brand new machine. Don't settle for the store's "party line" BS. Talk to a manager. It's unacceptable for a computer to be purchased, only to go into the repair shop within a week where you won't see it for who knows how long.

Or just return it, eat the restocking fee, and get a refurbished Dell or HP workstation grade laptop. Use their Business websites, not their Home ones.

yeah that souds about right to me, thanks for that.. yeah im not gunna have them repair atotally new laptop, if they dont give me a new one ill just return it and do what you guys sy about the refurbished ones,, bt where can i find good refurbished computers that would be monsters?

WTF?

Does the video faithfully represent the sound?

It really sounds like a feedback loop in a PA system. I've never heard a computer make a noise like that.*

Get it replaced. Don't take no for an answer from the store, make sure to speak with the MoD.

* - Maybe if someone was taking the mic and sticking it into a speaker to create the feedback loop. I know you tried muting the mic/speakers in debugging. It's possible an electrical problem could be causing it perhaps? Man I wish Alcove would watch that and chime in, he would know more about how that sound gets made by gear.

Last edited:
yeahhhhh nd whenever i like run my finger across the webcam on top i can here it pickin up the noise of it, like when you blow into a mic.. and my friend was sitting there and brehted near it and he heard himself breathing and idk how to turn it off uz i have a feeling that has something to do with it but i really dont know

Back