pre-pro why do cast and crew back out of projects?

Better offers, usually (money, prestige, roles)
Concern re organization (not moving forward fast enough, insufficient information, worries about funding)
Disagreement re contracts
Dislike of changes to the plot/role
Personality issues

Better offers, usually (money, prestige, roles)
Concern re organization (not moving forward fast enough, insufficient information, worries about funding)
Disagreement re contracts
Dislike of changes to the plot/role
Personality issues
Nevermind about that question. Another question I have is, what if the filmmaker has a good hearted personality and positivie behavior, can they still back out of his/her project? I think being a good natured person is key.

I think being competent is MUCH more important than being good natured.

Yes, you're likely to lose some people if you're a competent SOB. But you'll also lose people if you're nice but aren't competent/don't come across as being competent.

You might also look at why people get fired from projects :)

Last edited:
If you have cast and crew leaving in droves or one after another there is an issue. Tell us what happened so we can help.
Well, earlier this year when we were in pre-production for my new film, not getting into any names or specifying anything but, I had an actress who I had to recast the role for, she got an opportunity in foreign country and she had to move there conflicting with our filming dates. She said she was hesitated to tell me the bad news, after she found this out because she felt bad not being part of the film. I worked with her on a film before and we had a great time working with each other. Do you get what I'm saying? Is that a red flag?

This 100%. I've had people leave my projects and thought "really????" re their reasons. And in every case, I ended up with someone as good or better - it just took some time. So definitely don't over-think it - just move forward.
Thanks for the encouragement! Sorry to linger but I also wanted to ask, if I was finically compensation a cast or crew member per a date rate? Would a cast or crew member be more committed or available to the project?

I was working on a micro-budget film a long time ago that had an up and coming actress in the staring roll. She was to play a youn character and also later in life when she was old. I was well into the prosthetic make-up process when the director called me and told me she quit. Said she left to take a part in another film.. Bummer..

What the director didn't now is that most of his crew was talking about him behind his back. I was the new guy in the group so they filled me in on how lazy and irresponsible the director was. They hired a new actress to fill the roll. I started the make up process over, then a few weeks later, the production collapsed. So, was the original actress wrong in leaving?

By the way, the original actress went on to have a supporting roll in Punch Drunk Love.

Back