news Why Alec Baldwin Could ‘Easily’ Walk in the ‘Rust’ Case, Says Former Federal Prosecutor

Alec Baldwin’s lawyers on Friday accused the New Mexico District Attorney of committing a “basic legal error” in the “Rust” case by charging him with breaking a firearm enhancement statute, one that carries a minimum of five years in prison, even though it didn’t go into effect until seven months after the “Rust” shooting took place.

Baldwin’s attorneys came out swinging with the motion they filed Friday, obtained by IndieWire, asking for the charge to be dropped because it “would be unconstitutionally retroactive, and the government has no legitimate basis” to charge him. The other involuntary manslaughter charge he faces carries a maximum of 18 months in prison.

“You can’t punish someone retroactively. They have a very good basis to get this enhancement tossed, and that really limits Baldwin’s exposure to 18 months max, so that’s a big deal,” Neama Rahmani, president of West Coast Trial Lawyers and a former federal prosecutor, told IndieWire. “The defense is coming up strong… In a case that has a very good defense on the merits, I could easily see Baldwin walking in this case.”

The firearm enhancement charge is just one of what Rahmani argues are several “big mistakes” on the part of the prosecution in the “Rust” case, which he says is a problem when Baldwin and his attorneys have unlimited funds and legal know-how to combat it.

“She’s in over her head,” Rahmani said of New Mexico District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies. “It was already a tough case, and these legal mistakes they’re making are going to make it even tougher.”

The District Attorney did push back against Baldwin’s latest motion and isn’t going down without a fight.

“Another day, another motion from Alec Baldwin and his attorneys in an attempt to distract from the gross negligence and complete disregard for safety on the “Rust” film set that led to Halyna Hutchins’ death,” a rep for the DA said in a statement to IndieWire. “In accordance with good legal practice, the District Attorney and the special prosecutor will review all motions — even those given to the media before being served to the DA. However, the DA’s and the special prosecutor’s focus will always remain on ensuring that justice is served and that everyone — even celebrities with fancy attorneys — is held accountable under the law. ”

At the end of January, Baldwin and the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, were charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter in the October 2021 killing of “Rust” cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. Those charges also carried the firearm enhancement with its minimum of a five-year prison sentence. As Rahmani explains, any potential conviction could only be on one of the two involuntary manslaughter charges, not both.

A version of the firearm enhancement law was in effect in October 2021, but in that instance the gun had to be “brandished” with “intent to intimidate or injure a person.” Said Rahmani, “That statute, that’s like when you play Russian Roulette with someone. It’s not even really intended for what happened here…You don’t intend to kill someone, but it’s grossly criminal negligence involving a firearm.”

Rahmani also feels the state’s DA made an error in appointing a special prosecutor, Andrea Reeb, who is also an elected public official in the New Mexico House of Representatives. That’s generally a big no-no; Baldwin’s attorneys also this week asked that she be disqualified from the case.

Also unusual is first assistant director David Halls took a plea agreement for a misdemeanor that carries no jail time. Rahmani argues that Halls, who is the prosecutors’ first witness, is more culpable than Baldwin is, and you can bet Baldwin’s attorneys will pounce on that.

“He’s going to get torn up on cross examination,” he said. “You’re testifying for the state, but you’re getting no time?”

The prosecutors’ best path to a conviction against Baldwin, as stated in their probable cause, is that even if Baldwin believed the gun contained blanks and was told otherwise, he should have never pointed a gun directly at another individual and pulled the trigger (something Baldwin has denied, even if the FBI says that’s impossible). They also pointed out Baldwin’s role as a producer on “Rust” to raise his profile and accountability, but Rahmani still feels it’s a stretch given that criminal liability is based on individual action rather than employer responsibility.

The prosecutors claimed Baldwin was distracted during mandatory firearm training and was on his phone, but Rahmani argues that Baldwin still doesn’t have an independent duty to personally check the gun when it’s other people’s jobs to do so, unless of course he was explicitly told that he had to.

Baldwin may have a good shot of not only getting that one charge tossed but also walking altogether once it goes to trial. Rahmani expects this will go to trial, unless the DA seriously walks back her felony charge. As for armorer Gutierrez-Reed, that’s a different story.

“She’s in much worse shape,” he said. “Her only job is to maintain the weapons and make sure they’re safe. That’s literally her only job, and she didn’t do it.”

There are so many things wrong here. I'll skip the first 9 problems and just note that the whole idea of trying as hard as possible to send people to prison over things that were clearly accidents is deeply flawed. We had some lady 100 miles north of here, and it was winter, with some ice on the road, and there was a tight corner on a gravel road, with trees lining both sides. She was sober, but on a phone call, and she took the corner at about the normal speed, and around the 90 degree turn was a school bus with kids getting on. She couldn't brake fast enough and killed 2 of the little kids as they were getting on the bus.

Numerous well dressed people argued in the news, talking about justice for the slain kids, and making an example of the woman, who was in her late 20s. Obviously because the people that died were innocent children, the public was outraged, and everyone in the legal system was clamoring at their chance to advance their careers by destroying the woman's life. And I get all that, I understand their motivations, and the public anger, and the prosecutors wanting to win a high profile case.

Here's the thing. She had no idea that those kids were around that corner. She was exactly as evil and criminal as any one of the thousands of people who had driven down that same road at 30 miles an hour. It was essentially a dice roll, a particularly tragic one, that resulted in a very common action with an incredibly uncommon result. She had no criminal intent, it was completely accidental, and regardless of how terrible the situation was, nothing about the incident would identify her as a dangerous criminal that should be removed from society and tortured for years.

They fought for almost a year to get her thrown in prison for as long as a second degree murderer would serve, hard prison time she would never recover from. So people saw a tragedy where two lives were lost, and the immediate response was to try and destroy another life. Technically anyone who speeds in a school zone is more guilty of intentionally putting the lives of kids at risk than this woman was, but no one talks about a decade of hard time for those people.

If Alec intentionally murdered the cinematographer, that's one thing. If this was an accident, people should quit paying each other to try and find someone to blame and attack. We don't need to sacrifice a human to the volcano every time a telephone pole falls over and hits someone. In the comparable story above, prosecutors were actually the only people involved that were intentionally trying to destroy a persons life. The woman just turned a corner at the exact wrong time.

Manslaughter: the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder.
Intentions aren't everything. Consequences matter.

Last edited:
Manslaughter: the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder.
Intentions aren't everything. Consequences matter.
Well, for one thing manslaughter would be the correct charge here, and does not carry a minimum 5 year sentence.

Secondarily, I think what you said is the common consensus for all of human history, and it's completely illogical. We can definitely say that consequences matter, but having a raffle to pick out which person to imprison and torture based on happenstance wasn't an intelligent idea when people thought it up 1000s of years ago, and it hasn't gotten any more intelligent over time. The supposed purpose of detention is to reform criminals and segregate them from society. When a person has zero criminal intent, then punishing them doesn't serve that purpose. Realistically, I think on some level, maybe subconscious, people realize what they are doing in these situations. They are quenching the bloodlust of the injured parties. That would probably be of legitimate help to them, but on an ethical level, it's wrong to inflict harm on a person who intended no harm.

I'm obviously not the only person who thinks this, because most manslaughter sentences are actually pretty light. Also, I don't think at all that just because some standard of logic or behavior has been firmly established by an authority figure (referring to manslaughter as a crime) that it's a permeant validation of that idea. I think your recent studies established that many "Important people of established authority" believed strongly in slavery, which we know to be a barbaric idea that justified the cruel and senseless destruction of innocent lives. Putting a murderer in jail serves a purpose, putting someone involved in a traffic accident in jail doesn't serve the same purpose, it serves the desire for revenge, and validates the idea that when there is no one actually at fault, we can just hurt an innocent person and call that justice, as long as we can find the code in the magic book that says it's ok. We need to be able to distinguish between imprisoning people because we need to, and imprisoning people because we want to.

Here's why I don't immediately fall in line with legal precedents. It's because I've seen the intelligence level of the people who generated those precedents, and I don't have UNQUESTIONING respect for their perspectives. Most laws make sense, and I for example have never really had any issues with the law, but watch this video, and see if you think anything these people say deserves unquestionable status. These are two presidents. If they can be so flawed, it stands to reason that judges can be flawed, and specific to manslaughter, I suspect this logic of using the law as a tool for personal vengeance instead of as a shield to protect society came long ago, from a society led by people far more primitive than the two "Ultimate Authorities" heard talking below. Remember, being able to buy and sell grades of justice is a concept at the very core of our legal system, and has been agreed on by literally tens of thousands of idiots for centuries. What do you call it in any other context when a person can pay extra money to be designated a winner? It's a rigged game right? So that error is virtually the spine of the criminal justice system, and I think it would be fair to call at least some of the outgrowths of that system "fruit of the poisonous tree".

You're saying that like it could happen to any of us but i'm not blazing through school zones and texting at the same time.
If anything I'm reading a nice book.

I'm not a legal expert but im pretty sure manslaughter has to involve some sort of negligence, and sometimes people want to send a message that you need to be more careful in a school zone.

Speaking of crazy car stories I listen to the sunny podcast and this was based on a real story where the dude was pissed after a car accident, explaining to his friends that he spilled cereal all over the interior of his car. Wait, what? lol

Last edited:
You're saying that like it could happen to any of us but i'm not blazing through school zones and texting at the same time.
If anything I'm reading a nice book.
Sure, but in the case I referred to, it was a dozen miles from a school zone, a poorly lit gravel road, at a time of year where the sun didn't come up until later than usual, and it was still dark at 6:45. So I just tried to imagine myself in her position, as I've driven that same road. Less than a second to react, on gravel. I'm not even sure phone or no phone would have made a difference. The trees block sightline around that particular corner, and a good number of people have had accidents there, so I think for each of them the experience was identical 1 second before the collision. When it was a deer around the corner, they had to go to the body shop, when it was a bus they had to go to prison.

At least with drunk driving, though the intent to cause harm would not have been present, you could make a compelling argument that she was intentionally negligent, and put the lives of others at risk during the commission of an illegal act. I could see throwing someone in jail for a long time for that, since it would serve as a deterrent for others considering driving drunk, and could save lives.

In this case though, it was just someone trying to get to work on a winter morning, and having a particularly horrible car accident. Prison is a torture camp of sorts, and I see a lot more logic in sending a bad person to one, than sending an unlucky person to one.

Anyway, back to Alec, I just don't think it really helps anyone to throw him in prison for hitting someone with a stray bullet from what he thought was an inert prop gun.

It's tragic, but sometimes an accident is just an accident.

What really bugs me is..... Why were there live rounds on set in the first place. What purpose could they possibly serve? It seems...... off. I'm also a bit confused about why Alec would actually be pointing even a prop gun directly at anyone. I would really have had to see footage or be there to understand how it happened, but as far as I can tell, he had zero motive for murder, and a lot to loose, so it's hard to believe that this situation was anything other than a fluke accident.

Maybe we'll get more info later on.

well dont keep us in suspense

what happened to her
They actually let her off pretty easy. I think it was 6 months in county, mainly because she had gone through hell facing 12 years in court, and had been in jail for a long time during the trial.

It's no happy ending for anyone though, and I suspect that she'll suffer far more than she actually deserves, the memory of accidentally killing 2 kids. If you're a decent person, it's hard to forgive yourself for something like that, I would imagine. The way I see it, it was just an accident that cost 3 innocent lives.

I didn't follow up much after, because it went on in the news for a long period, but I strongly suspect she had to move. There were numerous threats to her and her family, and many here spoke of her exactly like you would speak of Ted Bundy, like there was basically no difference between slipping on a patch of ice and killing people on purpose.

Last edited:
I don't know the specifics of the case pertaining to the woman driving on an icy road while talking on the phone or texting and taking a sharp corner where visibility, due to trees, made it impossible to see what was around the corner, but to say she's innocent? I'd argue that drunk drivers don't mean to kill people either. It's true; going to court is a crap shoot. You take your chances and hope you have a good lawyer and don't get a judge with an agenda.

Baldwin did not intend to kill anyone. Nobody on that set did (probably), but someone did get killed due to negligence. Should the gun wrangler have checked the gun? Yes, of course. Should Baldwin have checked it. Yes, of course. Does someone need to be punished for causing the death of another person? Well, society says yes. To what degree should that punishment be? That's the question. Laws and punishment is set up for the masses, not the individual. The best we can come up with is to be judged by a jury of our peers, then, they too will decide punishment, unless, as it is with some cases, the judge will decide.

Well all take stupid risks in life. Luckily, most of us don't accidentally kill anyone, but if we did, I guess we'd just have to hope for the best, regardless of what the parents of the dead would want.

I don't know the specifics of the case pertaining to the woman driving on an icy road while talking on the phone or texting and taking a sharp corner where visibility, due to trees, made it impossible to see what was around the corner, but to say she's innocent? I'd argue that drunk drivers don't mean to kill people either. It's true; going to court is a crap shoot. You take your chances and hope you have a good lawyer and don't get a judge with an agenda.

Baldwin did not intend to kill anyone. Nobody on that set did (probably), but someone did get killed due to negligence. Should the gun wrangler have checked the gun? Yes, of course. Should Baldwin have checked it. Yes, of course. Does someone need to be punished for causing the death of another person? Well, society says yes. To what degree should that punishment be? That's the question. Laws and punishment is set up for the masses, not the individual. The best we can come up with is to be judged by a jury of our peers, then, they too will decide punishment, unless, as it is with some cases, the judge will decide.

Well all take stupid risks in life. Luckily, most of us don't accidentally kill anyone, but if we did, I guess we'd just have to hope for the best, regardless of what the parents of the dead would want.
Well, to be fair, I did address the drunk driving aspect of other situations above. Rolling the dice with someone else's life for your own convenience is illegal, and it's a conscious decision to break the law, where people have at least some understanding of the possible consequences. My main argument here is that when it really is an accident, then we don't actually have a good reason to pick someone as a scapegoat. I think scapegoating is something people do pretty regularly, and it makes sense to call it out and question it's place in our justice system.

I'm not a legal expert but im pretty sure manslaughter has to involve some sort of negligence, and sometimes people want to send a message that you need to be more careful in a school zone.

Speaking of crazy car stories I listen to the sunny podcast and this was based on a real story where the dude was pissed after a car accident, explaining to his friends that he spilled cereal all over the interior of his car. Wait, what? lol

Eating a bowl of cereal while driving? How......What? lol, that's so crazy.

I agree that accidents that lead to death are a tragedy.
A woman driving took a corner too wide and almost hit my car last month. She was playing with her cel phone at the time. I don't know what the law is for driving and using a cel phone. I think it varies from state to state. On military installations it's against the law.. If the woman slammed into my car, would it have been due to negligence because she was playing on her phone? I think so. My insurance company would have thought so too.

My question about the Baldwin accident is why were there any live round on set at all? Next, how did they get mixed in with blanks? I think that needs to be investigated.

I agree that accidents that lead to death are a tragedy.
A woman driving took a corner too wide and almost hit my car last month. She was playing with her cel phone at the time. I don't know what the law is for driving and using a cel phone. I think it varies from state to state. On military installations it's against the law.. If the woman slammed into my car, would it have been due to negligence because she was playing on her phone? I think so. My insurance company would have thought so too.
I hadn't mentioned it, probably should have, but she was talking legally. We do have a law here against driving while texting or with the phone in hand, but she was talking through the car audio system with the phone docked during the incident, so she actually wasn't doing anything illegal. To clarify even further, the light pole at that turn is kind of back in the trees, and it really is hard to see anything at night. This happened out on a rural route, and I think the specific road played a significant role. It's just kind of a dangerous, poorly maintained road, pretty common in the further reaches of these poverty areas. You would not believe how many of those Amish Horse drawn carriages have been hit by cars out here.

a
My question about the Baldwin accident is why were there any live round on set at all? Next, how did they get mixed in with blanks? I think that needs to be investigated.
agreed, makes very little sense. Seems really odd. Quite a series of things would have had to go wrong for this to happen. I'm curious to see how it pans out, and if an explanation eventually comes out that makes a little more sense. The probability against something like that happening by accident is really high. It's a strange one.

Clearly someone fucked up in a really huge way and yes someone is RESPONSIBLE.

When I made my film Christmas Hellfire I ensured that I got brand new pellet guns that had *NEVER* been loaded, and made it a point to *NEVER* load them *EVER* so that there would be no accidents on my set.
It's called being and charge and making safety precautions.

I didn't go shoot cans with BB using those guns on the off days, and then just show up to set and get someone shot in the eyes, cause I'm not a goddamn negligment moron. A woman died here. From what I understand idiots were taking guns and shooting real bullets for shits and giggles and then bringing those guns back to set.

It's pure idiocy combined with gross negligence.

Last edited:
Back