• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Who wants to help me write a script?

Alright everyone. I have been trying to find a writer to help me write a script with me. I really want to write a feature script. And I really really want to write one about zombies. But I want this to be different than other zombie movies. So if anyone is up to help me that would be AWESOME. I almost forgot, I produce a commercial for the Doritos Superbowl contest. We didn't win but it was an awesome experience. I was working on a feature indie script but didnt finish it.

Jacob

The writer who comes up with something new should be able to
make a sale. Maybe even make a lot of money and change the
genre. I can see you aren't going to throw your serious hat into
this project.

I don't know of any "Hollywood, cookie-cutter" zombie movies. All
the zombie movies I know of are independents. I don't believe it's
the Hollywood studio system that is putting out cookie-cutter zombie
movies. I don't even know of a Hollywood studio making zombie movies.

Well there is the "Resident Evil" series directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. Watched all of em :D

Well there is the "Resident Evil" series directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. Watched all of em :D
Resident Evil was produced independently by a German company
Constantin Film Produktion along with the French prodCo Davis and
distributed by the independent distributor Screen Gems (based in
N. Carolina) in the US and Pathe in the UK. Only after the success
of the first one did a Hollywood studio buy the worldwide distribution
rights.

However, if that’s what is meant by a “Hollywood cookie-cutter”
zombie movie then I stand corrected. There must me more, right?
What other Hollywood cookie cutter zombie movies have been made?

However, if that’s what is meant by a “Hollywood cookie-cutter” zombie movie then I stand corrected. There must me more, right? What other Hollywood cookie cutter zombie movies have been made?

Okay, so remove the word "Hollywood", we'll just call it a "cookie cutter" formula. I wasn't really saying that they were made by the Hollywood studios, but more that they play by Hollywood's rules and ideology.

So anyway, how about the "Dawn of the Dead" remake, the "Day of the Dead" remake, "Quarantine" the (REC) remake, "I am Legend", "Zombieland". Even the likes of "28 Days Later" had plenty of money and Danny Boyle behind it, it was independant, but was really the leader of the pack when it came to creating this "cookie cutter" formula.

I'm a huge fan of "Planet Terror", it's the kind of throwback zombie film I'd like to see more of. I also thoroughly enjoyed "The Walking Dead".

Has enybody here seen "Colin"? It's a British film that claims to have been made on a budget of £45. Personally, I feel this is a huge misrepresentation of what the actual budget must've been (although I can't say that for a fact). That said though, it's actually an okay movie. The makers seem to have put alot of effort into it. Check it out.

We’re likely to go off on a tangent...

If the “Hollywood” rules and ideology is to make a product that
people will pay to see, then I agree with you. Even independent
producers, writers and directors at some point want to create a
product that people will pay to see. If not, what are the Hollywood
rules and ideology that are to be avoided.

I hadn’t considered the remakes. I never see them, I rarely even
think of them. If there is a definition of “cookie-cutter” it
would be remakes.

I just think too much time is spent putting down "Hollywood". The
idea that nothing the studio system puts out is worthy is, in my
opinion, kind of silly. Even indie filmmakers want to make money
and very often playing within the formula and by the "rules" is what
draws an audience.

That said, I'm all in for a new take on the zombie movie. I hope
DesperadoMan write one.

Alright so does anyone want to help? lol I mean I know we can't work locally but could work out something else. I really am eager to get started on it, but don't know where to start. So please someone be my partner on this project.

Yes, we're going way off on a tangent, so just so I'm clear, I do agree with everything you're saying Rik, we all want to make money on what we do. I think it'd be awesome to work in Hollywood and make millions doing what I love. But to me, and I know this is slightly cynical of me, the "Hollywood" ideology is to worry about marketability, before worrying about making a decent movie. Why not strive for both? And if these producers are striving for both (which I'm sure they are), why do they miss the mark so often?

Desperado, do you have any ideas for making a "different" zombie movie? I'm stumped. I've had my own "different" ideas, but as I said, they aren't all that different, certainly not original. If you want to bounce some ideas around though, go for it, I'm listening.

where in ohio do you live? I live in pennsylvania. what is the site like imdb but it is for scripts? thats were you should check out scripts. It is kind of hard in my opinion sometimes for two different people to write a script, especially if it is not the same sub-genre that are interested in.

The thing I hate is the real zombie movies fans had like a cult fallowing than after zombieland and other recent things it took away from how special they were.

I’ve thought of a new take on the zombie thing. Here it goes.

It’s the story of 2 zombies, but they’re not just ordinary zombies, they’re gourmet zombies. They only want to eat the choicest brains, so they go after famous university professors, Nobel Prize winners, etc. For them to eat the brains of some average joe is like for some food snobs to go eat at a McDonald’s.

They have a life-long dream, a guy they consider as the greatest living writer. They imagine his brain as the juiciest most delicious that can exist. After many difficulties they finally get him and eat his brains. They’re disappointed. They start revising their judgment about his books.

I should probably add that I’m not a zombie fan. I can count on 1 hand the total number of zombie movies I’ve ever watched, so I can’t be sure this hasn’t been done before.

Yes, we're going way off on a tangent, so just so I'm clear, I do agree with everything you're saying Rik, we all want to make money on what we do. I think it'd be awesome to work in Hollywood and make millions doing what I love. But to me, and I know this is slightly cynical of me, the "Hollywood" ideology is to worry about marketability, before worrying about making a decent movie. Why not strive for both? And if these producers are striving for both (which I'm sure they are), why do they miss the mark so often?
Because producers in "Hollywood" are just as human and fallible
as anyone else. They fail bigger than indie producers. There are
just as many producers making indie films that miss the mark as
studio producers. We just don't read about those failed movies. No
movie - big studio, major indie or $5,000 micro budget - has any
more or less chance of finding an audience than any other movie.
Remember, "Nobody knows anything."

If more indie producers (and writers and directors) thought about
the marketability of their movies before worrying about making a
decent movie, more would succeed. "Hollywood" doesn't make
cookie-cutter films because they don't know any better - they do
it because the audience flocks to those movies.

Now to ease back into the topic. I said I am actively looking for a
good zombie script. If DesperadoMan finds his partner and writes
a script I will read it thinking about the marketing before I think
about optioning it and finding financing. Because the distributors
I will take it to are going to be thinking about how to market it
before they agree to distribute and the people financing will be
worrying about how they are going to make their money back.

And even though I do live and work in Hollywood, I'm not talking
about making a studio (Hollywood) movie for millions. I'm talking
about making a low budget, independent movie. If the script is great
but not marketable I cannot afford to make it. And on the other side
if the script isn't great but has an excellent marketing hook, I can
afford to make it. Perhaps that puts me into the category of "Hollywood
cookie-cutter". In a way I envy people like you. You have another
job so you can make movies without thinking of the marketability. You
can make the movie you want to make and if it doesn't make money
you move onto the next one.

directorik I really want to get started but no one is saying yes Ill help. And is it alright if I ask what kind of company do you run? Do you just produce low budget films? I mean I know this isnt going to be a feature film in theatres, but like has any of your movies been to any film festivals?

Years ago, I wanted to make a zombie western, blending the post-apocalyptic genre and the leone-esq spaghetti western. Not a mashup like the "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" (which I find sort of inherently annoying. Funny as a joke, but not really a good read), but a story in one setting that plays tribute to another. Hell, half the zombie films out there end the way Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid does. Might as well reference it directly!

Since I had the idea (and wrote a few songs about it for a long-since dissolved band), there have been a few movies like that, though other than the third Resident Evil, I haven't seen them yet (definitely my favorite in the series though, but RE is definitely "Action Horror" rather than a zombie film). I still think there's some mileage in it; take a Clint Eastwood/Mad Max type drifter character and build the film around him (or her). Set it VERY post-apocalypse...the zombies came like a flood and wiped out most of humanity, but then they too degraded. There are pockets of frontier-style human settlements, and pockets of zombies too (maybe those that fed better last longer?) You could even work in some Stephen King/Dark Tower elements; when technology breaks down, magic and monsters return because there aren't people to disbelieve (and thus de-power) it.

All set to a lonely whistle and reverb-drenched guitar. I'm not really a good writer, but boy I'd like to see that movie!

Years ago, I wanted to make a zombie western, blending the post-apocalyptic genre and the leone-esq spaghetti western. Not a mashup like the "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" (which I find sort of inherently annoying. Funny as a joke, but not really a good read), but a story in one setting that plays tribute to another. Hell, half the zombie films out there end the way Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid does. Might as well reference it directly!

Since I had the idea (and wrote a few songs about it for a long-since dissolved band), there have been a few movies like that, though other than the third Resident Evil, I haven't seen them yet (definitely my favorite in the series though, but RE is definitely "Action Horror" rather than a zombie film). I still think there's some mileage in it; take a Clint Eastwood/Mad Max type drifter character and build the film around him (or her). Set it VERY post-apocalypse...the zombies came like a flood and wiped out most of humanity, but then they too degraded. There are pockets of frontier-style human settlements, and pockets of zombies too (maybe those that fed better last longer?) You could even work in some Stephen King/Dark Tower elements; when technology breaks down, magic and monsters return because there aren't people to disbelieve (and thus de-power) it.

All set to a lonely whistle and reverb-drenched guitar. I'm not really a good writer, but boy I'd like to see that movie!

A quick Google search of "Zombie Western" reveals that your idea is already out there.

No one has answered my question. I really want someone to help out. I don't want to write my ideas and let everyone see.

It's difficult, isn't it?

I think you will find that most writers have their own ideas - that's
why they write. And while history is filled with great writing teams
I think you'll find that most writers prefer to write their own scripts.

I hope you find your partner.

Making a Zombie Movie

Making a movie, especially a feature length movie like you suggest, takes a lot of work. To give just a small overview:
1. A good script is found or written.
2. Next you need work out a budget: sound, lighting, actor fees, insurance, location fees, equipment, etc.
3. Typically you do a storyboard to help sell the idea to investors.
4. You will likely need to do casting and costuming.
5. There are readings and rehearsing.
6. The scenes are shot on location or in studio.
7. The camera footage is edited and special effects applied.
8. Post production elements--scores/music, titles and credits.
9. Then there is post-production expenses of advertising, packaging, and distribution.
10. You will factor in costs of submitting to festivals and/or contests.

These are just overview steps, others can chime in more. Making something that looks professional is quite challenging. And while many people will say zombie movies are inexpensive, most of them look like backyard productions. And unfortunately a $500 production in the 1970's, when you factor in inflation, is actually a $1500 production investment today. In remaking "Dawn of the Dead" to reflect today's effects standards, the studio poured a lot more into it than that.

The script is only a small part of the production effort. If you can't write the script, how much of the remaining steps can you do to get this film produced? A one-minute home commercial is a different beast than a feature film. Many of the contributors here have their own professional projects, though they are willing to assist.

If you really believe in your original story idea, finish it up yourself. You can post parts of it for suggestions about how to make it more marketable. Or you can ask for guidance on producing it yourself.

Condensing down your responses:
Alright everyone. I have been trying to find a writer to help me write a script with me. I really want to write a feature script. And I really really want to write one about zombies. But I want this to be different than other zombie movies. So if anyone is up to help me that would be AWESOME. I almost forgot, I produce a commercial for the Doritos Superbowl contest. We didn't win but it was an awesome experience. I was working on a feature indie script but didnt finish it.

I mean we would work as a team and if we would make money on it, we would split it. Thats what I was thinking... I wanted it to be different than other zombie movies, so maybe we could use yours genres and make it a very good script

I really am eager to get started on it, but don't know where to start. So please someone be my partner on this project. ... I mean I know this isnt going to be a feature film in theatres, but like has any of your movies been to any film festivals?

I don't want to write my ideas and let everyone see.

My sense is that you have a few ideas about a zombie movie. It sounds as if who ever volunteers will be left doing most of the writing and thinking on the production, however. And once done, you're not sure how to go about actually getting the production off the ground so it can be shown at festivals.

The best advice is, if you are concerned about people stealing your ideas, to write the film yourself and then film it. As you've seen in other threads, people have posted scripts for feedback. If you're going to film this yourself on a shoestring for a festival, my suggestion is to think more of a short. No script more than say 10-20 pages.

That should be easier to write and get feedback on from this group. It should be easier to film with a home setup using your friends. What about using zombies as a parody? *Maybe of the "Twilight Saga" with Edward as a zombie in high school? Zombies don't have to eat brains and be horrific. He could be shooting a hoop on the team and his arm goes flying off.*

Don't worry about the 'feature film' aspect. Just have fun with it as a concept.

*Fine Print: This 'new zombie idea' is copyrighted, patented, trademarked, and held closely under scrutiny by FantasySciFi, aka, FSF. All rights and derivative products are reserved. :cool: Just kidding, have fun with it.

As the old saying goes: "Ideas are Ten a Penny" - hence the lack of anyone taking you up on your offer.

So you can either carry on in the hope of finding someone in the same boat willing to join forces or do what most do and write it yourself - unless of course you can throw some money at it.

I wish you the best eitherway, Jim.

Writing samples meaning, have you ever written anything prior to you wanting to write a zombie script? Do you have any samples that show you are capable of writing a script. Developing characters, establishing tone and a cohesive story?

Or is this your first crack at writing a script?

Back