Do you like the word "Microcinema"?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't care.

• Total voters
Microcinema. This word is so incredibly uncool. It's just a word, but still...independent film sounds so..prestigious, nestalgic, cool, etc. Who the Hell decided they wanted to start calling it Microcinema?! Your thoughts?

What exactly does Microcinema mean? I always thought it meant short films, which isn't a genre that is exclusive to indie film.

Poke

There's nothing inherently wrong with labels.

Microcinema just describes what part of the whole indie-spectrum one is talking about... and it sure sounds better than "film funded by the bottle deposits that were turned in last week." :shock:

It's not a beautiful term, but at least it's not Redneck Cinema (and being from Texas like me, Logan, I know you nkow how hard that term can be to escape).

Poke

I hated the period of the nineties when everyone I knew thought it was cool to be a redneck ... thanks Jeff "Effin'" Foxworthy!

Poke

The only joke he tells I ever found funny was the one about his two cats ...

One on each side of the fire place.

Poke

(if you don't get it - he is talking about killing and stuffing household pets)

im friends with a redneck...i make fun of him for it all the time, my whole dads side of the family is redneck..but i wouldnt call myself one...BUT back on topic, if MicroCinema does mean independent films, i kind a feel like theyre saying little kids made it, or 12 yr olds with a camcorder (nothing wrong with it, its the love of the movie and effort that counts) ...dont know, i never heard microcinema before though

See. I like "Redneck Cinema" better actually. And "underground film" sounds so gritty and cool, but "microcinema" just doesn't sound serious to me.

BTW, I'm surprised some of you haven't heard of it...I hear it all the time, especially reading it on the internet or in magazines.

I have never heard the term microcinema before reading this post. Interesting.

The most annoying term I've heard in a while though has got to be "prosumer," as in a mid level between professional and consumer. They call the XL-1 and other cameras prosumer. I hate that term for some reason.

- Mike.

microcinema, the word sucks. I much prefer "independent" or even "underground".

also "guerrilla Filmmaking". In my opinion guerrilla is a bad word. filmmaking is filmmaking, either you have money or you dont. those who call themselves guerrilla, i think just use the word as an excuse to be irresponsable.

Back