Which Canon?

Hoping those with better, more extensive knowledge can help on this subject that although has been massively debated I'm struggling to find a definitive answer.
I'll be looking to get myself a DSLR very soon, and I've narrowed it down to Canon 550d, 600d, or 650d. All of which have excellent video capabilities (its main use for me of course), however other than price and a swivel/pull out viewfinder on the 650d it is difficult to identify what might be best for me. The price isn't such a huge issue between these as they are all fairly close, unless of course saving a few bucks on a cheaper camera makes sense and doesn't remove any important features from me/the kit.
Please share your thoughts, my best thought right now is that since the 650d is a pretty fresh camera at the moment, it might in the long run have a better lifespan in terms of usability for me as I progress as a filmmaker?
Any help appreciated!
Joe.

The Zoom H1 is pretty bottom-of-the-line stuff. Really, you should be looking for something with XLR inputs, the Zoom H4N and the Tascam DR100mk2 being no-budget favourites. These will allow you to use better quality, balanced microphones, which will give you much better results.

You wont be able to mount the H1 on your camera without some kind of adaption. But the Rode mic you've linked to will work with the H1. You'll want the mic on a boom pole, with an extended cable to the recorder. If you just want to mount them both on your camera, you may as well just get the mic and plug it into the camera; you'll probably get similar results.

I want to be able to have variation with as little equipment as possible, so a digital recorder seemed like a good idea as I can move it around if I need to or attach it to the DSLR.

My flatmate actually just surprised me with a dictaphone he is not using, the Olympus DM-5, would this be of any use to me as it seems like a pricier bit of kit but not sure it will function at all for what I need it for. I'm assuming not at all.

Both the H4N and Tascam are a lot of money, especially since I'm just getting into my own filmmaking.

Would you recommend that I just go for a lower end shotgun mic, suffer with the poorer audio quality until I manage to get the H4N or the DR100? If there's no point wasting money on a lower end recorder than that then I wont bother, don't want to waste money on equipment that I will very quickly upgrade..

The wider the lens, the harder it's going to be to find one that opens up. Even my fancy Zeiss 18mm prime is f3.5. If I remember correctly, this is because at short focal lengths things like aberration and softness become very prominent around the edges at wide apertures because physics.

I'm a bit of a primes fanatic but I can afford to be -- that's why I took that soul-draining software job. :)

What style of shots do you foresee most often occurring in lower-light situations?

Edit: It occurs to me that since f3.5 is about as wide as you're going to get at 18mm, you might want to get a good low-light 50mm prime to balance out the other end. The "nifty 50", Canon's 50mm f1.8 is extremely cheap but manages to deliver very solid images. It's the most cost-effective lens you'll ever find. Be warned that it is very flimsy and has the worst manual-focusing ring ever. The next step up, the Canon 50mm f1.4 is astounding, delivering images that rival the professional L-series lenses. I've never used the Canon 50mm f1.2. My current one is the Zeiss 50mm f1.4. It's images are just a smidge under the quality of the Canon 50mm f1.4, just barely, but has that beautiful Zeiss smooth-as-butter manual focus ring that makes it so handy for video. Be aware that the Zeiss lenses are manual-focus-only.

Edit #2: If you reaaally need low-light capabilities and don't mind losing some wide-angle, the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L is a fantastic lens. The only downside is that it doesn't have image-stabilization -- might be problematic when zoomed all the way in, although I honestly don't know how well DSLR IS works when shooting video.

Edit #3: Be aware that zoom lenses that dip into the wide-angle end of the spectrum show more barrel/pincushion distortion than primes at the same focal length. This isn't that big of a deal for still photography, but can be very noticeable on video if you're panning or tracking.

Hi escher can I bug you again.. You provided me with a lot of help but I'm getting myself confused again, and I don't know what lenses to go for. I am getting the 600D.
As a starter, I want to have a lens for wide angle, and one for intimate people interview style. Which two would you recommend, I think the kit lens will do the job mostly for people and different variations needed but if there's something better suited I'd rather know. It would be good for the people lens to have silent autofocus, as I may use that feature, but isn't crucial.

I'm wondering if the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II will be suitable enough for my 'wide angle' lens, I just want something for good overall shots with a wider view, I don't need something super wide to bring in areas which are past the natural, so I would assume that this prime lens might be suitable enough for what I want.

I'm going to check some videos for these lenses view..

Hi escher can I bug you again.. You provided me with a lot of help but I'm getting myself confused again, and I don't know what lenses to go for. I am getting the 600D.
As a starter, I want to have a lens for wide angle, and one for intimate people interview style. Which two would you recommend, I think the kit lens will do the job mostly for people and different variations needed but if there's something better suited I'd rather know. It would be good for the people lens to have silent autofocus, as I may use that feature, but isn't crucial.

I'm wondering if the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II will be suitable enough for my 'wide angle' lens, I just want something for good overall shots with a wider view, I don't need something super wide to bring in areas which are past the natural, so I would assume that this prime lens might be suitable enough for what I want.

I'm going to check some videos for these lenses view..

Wide angle lens, look no further than the tokina 11-16mm lens you can get it cheapest on digitalrev, I have the 50mm 1.8 mk2 it's def not a wide angel lens, you need to be a bit back to get more in the frame, but it is def a good lens, just a warning some people say stock lens can be used, Iv tried to use it but its lack of sharpness is horrible but if you can't afford nothing else then keep using what you got,

I'm aiming for a set of four lenses by next year:

1. Tokina 11-16mm
2. Samyang/Rokinon/walimex pro 35mm video lens (ring has been declicked)
3. Canon 50mm 1.4
4. A lens over 70mm nt yet researched

Wide angle lens, look no further than the tokina 11-16mm lens you can get it cheapest on digitalrev, I have the 50mm 1.8 mk2 it's def not a wide angel lens, you need to be a bit back to get more in the frame, but it is def a good lens, just a warning some people say stock lens can be used, Iv tried to use it but its lack of sharpness is horrible but if you can't afford nothing else then keep using what you got,

I'm aiming for a set of four lenses by next year:

1. Tokina 11-16mm
2. Samyang/Rokinon/walimex pro 35mm video lens (ring has been declicked)
3. Canon 50mm 1.4
4. A lens over 70mm nt yet researched

Thanks for that, I'm not so sure I need a completely wide angle lens, maybe I shouln't have said that at all. I looked at the Tokina, way too pricy. I know lenses cost a lot and I should expect that, but I only have so much I can/would like to spend. I'm getting the 600D, which I have found for £372.99 which includes the kit 18-55 lens:
http://www.eglobaldigitalstore.co.uk/canon-600d-kit-with-18-55mm-is-ii-lens-digital-slr-camera.html
Luckily this will be a gift from a parent to aid with my media studies, then on top of that which I will pay for myself I am going to buy the H4N like I have found for £160 refurb which I definitely need. Then I need another lens really, and I'm thinking I should go for the 50mm 1.8 mk2 as I am reading everywhere I can't go wrong for a prime lens as mostly a beginner, and plus I'll have the kit lens anyway if I need it.

If I'm honest that's probably all I can afford right now, I'm probably going to do just fine with both of these for a while and if I have trouble I will just have to deal with it at the specific circumstance, like moving a bit closer, or a bit back to accomodate until I get more serious and then may need better lenses.

I have plans for some starter projects which are interviews of artistic friends of mine so we will see how I do with the lenses I will have. I'm going to order the 50mm today along with memory cards, camera bag, OH I need a TRIPOD! What's a good cheap tripod, there's so many out there but I don't know how much I should be paying for one, build quality doesn't have to be industrial/top end as outdoor expeditions wont be common.

Thanks for help so far all!

For the tripod, go used. I bought a 15 year old Manfrotto video tripod as it is built like a tank. I am 105kgs / 240 lbs and can stand on it.

It's amazingly robust, will last forever and 10% of what a new tripod would cost. ebay is your friend.

A 701 fluid head will do just fine and there are tons on ebay as well although these will degrade over time.

I went with a bunch of manual photo lenses with various mounts, then got adapters to mount them onto my T3i (EOS Body). They ended up being US$30 for the most expensive one in my arsenal... the cheapest at US$10.

eBay, Pawn Shops, Used stuff stores (Savers, Goodwill, etc.), Consignment shops... all good sources... then Auctions and Garage Sales. No one wants Manual Lenses, but you won't use most of the Auto functions anyway while shooting video.

I bought some cheap lightweight tripod, had a look at the Manfrotto's they do look very decent I will keep my eye out for one at a bargain.
As for more lenses I will definitely do that knightly, I found out about my local camera store which sells used lenses etc and I will definitely be snooping around there for some cheap additions!

Thanks a lot everyone who input.

I bought some cheap lightweight tripod, had a look at the Manfrotto's they do look very decent I will keep my eye out for one at a bargain.
As for more lenses I will definitely do that knightly, I found out about my local camera store which sells used lenses etc and I will definitely be snooping around there for some cheap additions!

Thanks a lot everyone who input.

by the way, if your tripod is light, forget about using it outside even with a bit of wind, unless you really weigh it down, I have a lightweight tripod at the moment and while i thought it was great and portable, in the end, when its windy it shakes horribly, its not cheap either, luckily i have a 501 head which makes it slighly heavier.

by the way, if your tripod is light, forget about using it outside even with a bit of wind, unless you really weigh it down, I have a lightweight tripod at the moment and while i thought it was great and portable, in the end, when its windy it shakes horribly, its not cheap either, luckily i have a 501 head which makes it slighly heavier.

Thanks yeah I bought a lightweight one for now as I don't forsee any particular needs as of yet in windy conditions etc, most of what I will do will be handheld so I bought myself a stabilizer for some handheld filming :)

Thanks for those tips, I'll probably attach a heavy backpack to the base if I take it outside.

Perhaps it's worth noting how I've got on:

I ordered from DigitalRev a 32GB SD, the Canon EF 50mm, and a lightweight tripod. I ordered at weekend, and arrived today, so basically they sent the order out and it came within 1 working day which is great. Despite being extremely bubble wrapped, the tripod broke, but I'm kind of glad as I realised how rubbish a lightweight tripod is and I think I'm going to invest in a much better one like a Manfrotto that was suggested to me.

I ordered the Zoom H4N from the eBayer I linked to earlier, it's a refurb at £160, and I've just been playing with it (I am right now listening to the sounds of the room through the recorder via just some iphone headphones, such as my typing right now, and oh wow the level of detail in the sound is incredible! Definitely a worthwhile purchase) to get the hang of it, really enjoying it and glad I forked out the money for it as I know it will last me a long while for my sound needs.

I should have the 600D in a couple of days, and I am waiting on an LED light, stabilizer, and carry case from Amazon, so once I have those particularly the actual camera I'll put it all together and begin my first project which I know will be a character profile on one of my good friends who is an artist, so somewhat documentary with interviews, following him as he does things etc, to really get my feet wet!

Very excited to start becoming a filmmaker! Without having my own kit I haven't felt like one, so here is where it all starts for me.

Back