Which Canon?

Hoping those with better, more extensive knowledge can help on this subject that although has been massively debated I'm struggling to find a definitive answer.
I'll be looking to get myself a DSLR very soon, and I've narrowed it down to Canon 550d, 600d, or 650d. All of which have excellent video capabilities (its main use for me of course), however other than price and a swivel/pull out viewfinder on the 650d it is difficult to identify what might be best for me. The price isn't such a huge issue between these as they are all fairly close, unless of course saving a few bucks on a cheaper camera makes sense and doesn't remove any important features from me/the kit.
Please share your thoughts, my best thought right now is that since the 650d is a pretty fresh camera at the moment, it might in the long run have a better lifespan in terms of usability for me as I progress as a filmmaker?
Any help appreciated!
Joe.

do not autofocus your videos, if you do, then dont bother calling yourself a wannabe filmmaker, learn how to manually focus, auto-focus is for photography, ask any professional filmmaker, do you auto-focus? its like asking the pope if hes muslim.

So those big budget guys who pay someone to focus their cameras are not real filmmakers? It's all about the story and how it is received not how it is made.

But a machine isn't exactly focusing it for them, someone highly skilled, who's direction is highly aligned with the directors vision is doing the work.

Same end result, he is telling a story using tools (DP, Light Guy, ect). What I am saying is the story is what is important. If someone uses auto focus to tell a story, and tells it well more power to him/her.

At some point people were saying the same about filming with digital over film or a photo platform over the traditional equipment.

The reason these things caught on is because it allowed more people to tell their stories.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

Same end result, he is telling a story using tools (DP, Light Guy, ect). What I am saying is the story is what is important. If someone uses auto focus to tell a story, and tells it well more power to him/her.

At some point people were saying the same about filming with digital over film or a photo platform over the traditional equipment.

The reason these things caught on is because it allowed more people to tell their stories.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

auto-focusing on dslrs in video is a joke, its not accurate enough/fast enough, for us not to be able to tell the difference, your point of paying someone to focus for you is totally irrelevant as it is MANUALLY focusing, please name me a big budget film that uses auto-focus on their camera..

are you also saying that the great philip bloom is also wrong in saying that you should never autofocus?

In Arabic, muslim means "who submits himself to the will of God". Therefore...

well i asked my dad whos muslim and he said that a musilm means someone who is a follower of the islamic religion...

i also asked my friend who is from saudi arabia, he also said the same thing..

its also been my understanding from day one that is what a muslim is..

therefore the pope by popular demand and general belief is not a muslim

*off topic*

I personally think go for the 550d. To me the swivel screen is another thing which could break easier than I would like, so I would save myself the hassle and money for repairs and go for the 550d :)

So quick to count out the 60D...the autofocus on the t4i is no bueno...it is accurate but once you start moving that sucker has to find you and isnt that snappy...

especially now with the price drops it has had I would recommend the 60D over the t3i and absolutely over the t2i...I am not looking forward to using Magic Lantern, the stories I have heard and from my own user experience I am not happy with it...

especially now with the price drops it has had I would recommend the 60D over the t3i and absolutely over the t2i...I am not looking forward to using Magic Lantern, the stories I have heard and from my own user experience I am not happy with it...

I've had the files for ML sitting on my desktop for almost a month trying to decide if I should put them on my 600D. What is it you don't like about it? I've mostly heard positive reviews in the past...

I have used cameras that belonged to others that had ML installed and I have had crashes, settings only able to be used for a few seconds and then they revert to defaults and that's without even recording, corrupt files and there are just so many options that learning to use it on set is not a good idea at all...

I am happy with what my 60D can do without the need for ML....

Hello all,

I bought T3i few months back and after that the T4i got much cheaper on Black Friday and Boxing Day sales. I was feeling low that I bought older model for more price, but, after getting strong and positive comments on T3i and the uselessness of auto-focus for videos, I am feeling good :). Seems T3i is very popular in filming community :)

Regards,

Riz

Yes I'm using it on a t3i.

Listing only the ones I know of /have used...

An intervalometer. Pretty much for time lapse video/photography work. Normally you need to purchase an external device (they're cheap, but hey ML is free).

You can dial in the kelvin temperature, ie manually do white balance.

When focusing, with some lenses on the LCD it displays the current focus distance which can help when focusing at night!

You've got some histograms and stuff which I currently don't know how to read...

Also you can use zebra whateveritscalled to find out what is exposed correctly.

Can put an overlay over if you're planning on outputting at a different aspect ratio as a guide. The video is actually normal, but the guide shows you what would be cut off if you converted on the computer to say 2.4:1. Helped heaps with my latest film.

As the camera is busy I can't remember more off the top of me head

+more

Here's a thread where I talked about my initial fear, the comments there are helpful http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=45325

-Brendan

Back