• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Whew! Big Purchase - Redrock DSLR Rig

The good news: Looks cool
Bad news: Same image

Well, I had to pimp out the HDSLR for professional considerations - sad but true. I'm raising my rates for wedding films anyhow, so they might as well see bling.

Truth be told, this will allow me some local street cred just on appearance with actors - and God knows I need actors - just to get the simplest projects done.

Here's what it looks like: http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html

Thoughts? Tirades? :yes:

Sweet man! Redrock is the best out there for sure. You get what you pay for.

Others may do a similar job but not the same way. Better materials and build quality means it will last longer and give you less fuss on set. All the rod connections require less tweaking, and the follow focus is waaaay better than the cheapos.

I've used both Redrock and the cheap stuff (like proaim), you'll be happy with it for sure. If you can afford it, go for it.

Thoughts? Tirades? :yes:

Did you already get it?

I'm not a big fan of their follow focus (specifically), but for the price it's not bad. The ones I *do* like to use are significantly more expensive. The rest of their rigging hardware is solid though.

I imagine you have the v2 follow focus, which is a bit more accurate. How much play are you getting in the wheel before the lens barrel turns? Would be interesting to see if they have improved it on newer versions than I have used.

Did you already get it?

I'm not a big fan of their follow focus (specifically), but for the price it's not bad. The ones I *do* like to use are significantly more expensive. The rest of their rigging hardware is solid though.

I imagine you have the v2 follow focus, which is a bit more accurate. How much play are you getting in the wheel before the lens barrel turns? Would be interesting to see if they have improved it on newer versions than I have used.

It comes with the v2 and it won't be getting here until Monday, so I'll report back after that. There is a little play in my EF f/1.4 50mm focus, so I'll have to decide if it's worse I guess.

Their stuff is gorgeous but incredibly pricy. All the same if it convinces uninformed clients that DSLR film is as good as it is, then it's a worthwhile investment.

What I'm curious about is why the price of these rigs has never really gone down. You do see these occasional 'cheap' stabilisers...etc, but they're still fairly expensive (£100+) and the only cheap one I can find (the Gnome, not sure who makes it but they make rigs as well I think) is manufactured privately by a fairly amateur business. Why haven't any of the big companies stepped up to make a truly affordable rig/stabiliser for the not-quite-pro DSLR user?

Back