• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Where to learn about lighting

Hey guys,

I've never been fully compfortable with lighting. And when I thought I was, I still wasnt happy with results.

Where can I learn about lighting?

Perhaps there is a youtube channel or video you know of that gives a good summary? Perhaps a DVD you know of.

I want to know how to light indoor shots, outdoor, how to use lighting to create the look I want. How to use gels to create colors and how they make the viewers feel...you get the point.

For my next short, most of the film, is indoors. And I want to know, what I need in terms of lights to be able to create the look i want.

So please suggest videos, dvds or books or online sources. Film Riots videos are good, but I still need more info.

Thanks,

Roman

The worst part is that the answer is: on set. Every lighting situation is different and the only way to learn lighting is to get into different lighting situations.

The good part is that you don't need to wait for a project to go light and shoot things. Bring you and a friend to a location and figure out how to light it... then there's no crew or actors waiting to get specific footage "in the can." You can really focus on the lighting. Move the lights around. Point at the monitor (use a monitor) and learn to identify the parts that look "wrong/off" to you. Figure out how to fix them. Learn where you like to set up your lights to get the aesthetic that fits your eye.

Print out reference shots from films from a google image search and replicate those lighting setups... learn how to dissect a lighting setup to do this one... it'll tell you how others have done them in the past. http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=9597 is a local information resource I started... post your learning and results there as well ;)

Post pix and ask how to replicate that lighting, we'll help you learn to dissect it.

The worst part is that the answer is: on set. Every lighting situation is different and the only way to learn lighting is to get into different lighting situations.

The good part is that you don't need to wait for a project to go light and shoot things. Bring you and a friend to a location and figure out how to light it... then there's no crew or actors waiting to get specific footage "in the can." You can really focus on the lighting. Move the lights around. Point at the monitor (use a monitor) and learn to identify the parts that look "wrong/off" to you. Figure out how to fix them. Learn where you like to set up your lights to get the aesthetic that fits your eye.

Print out reference shots from films from a google image search and replicate those lighting setups... learn how to dissect a lighting setup to do this one... it'll tell you how others have done them in the past. http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=9597 is a local information resource I started... post your learning and results there as well ;)

Post pix and ask how to replicate that lighting, we'll help you learn to dissect it.
GREAT advice Knightly! I've read tons of books and watched hours of tutorials and yet it only gets you so far. When I learn the most is when the image doesn't look right in the viewfinder so I change some lights around or use a reflector to get what I need.

With that being said. I think one of the best lighting guides is "Motion Picture Lighting for Film and Video" by Blain Brown. It's a really in depth book with a great accompanying dvd to let you see exactly what it's talking about. Here's a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs8_KD_lvBg

Shane Hurlburts blog also is a great place to learn about all things related to cinematography.

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/category/cinematography/

Another great help is the Kodak Master Series on youtube. It's basically pros that breakdown scenes lighting setups and the ideas behind them. For me alot of the techniques need to be modified since I don't have access to 20 different lights, but still solid concepts.

Hope this help.

Learning by doing! I have never really learned anything about lighting from the internet or books or anything like that. I learned stuff on shoots with my friend who is a freelance cameraman but for drama stuff, i am always trying out my own and adjusting it until i think it looks good!

On set by observing. And then taking what you've watched and experimenting with it yourself. Experimenting with what looks good and what looks bad. Observing until you have enough knowledge that you can go online or read more advanced books on lighting and understand it.

Back