Where did you start as a filmmaker?

did you start of with random shots, filming whatever you can? did you start off with short films? and how have you progressed your film-maker ambitions since then. what are the steps you've taken?

i'm planning on buying a dslr to start filmmaking, looking at the best one I can find under $1000. not exactly sure where to start. my plan is eventually down the road to start making short films, then try to write some scripts, film those...

any suggestions or tips on buying a dslr camera? what to look for, external mic inputs, etc...

thanks for the help guys, they're much appreciated.

I started off with my cell phone.. making things that weren't intended to entertain or be watched by others. But to learn from, practice framing and editing. I filmed a neighbor walking my dog with like 80 cuts. Reading books, reading this forum..

I've still yet to release anything meant to entertain, but I've got two good shorts in the post production pipeline :) And I've got enough confidence from those, to finally begin tackling a masterpiece.. Still a short, but I want to make something real while I've still got the opportunity. Life is short and I'd like to make something to leave behind

I started in 2000 with the webcam and computer of my best friend.
We could shoot black and white at 240x180 at 14 fps :P

Some sand, cardboard and Lego were the ingredients for our first project, lol.
The 'trailer' for this SF-short about Chinese landing on the moon got me into artschool.
There I finally got access to more adequate gear and computers.

I really started with reading a lot, btw.

did you start of with random shots, filming whatever you can? did you start off with short films? and how have you progressed your film-maker ambitions since then. what are the steps you've taken?
Like the others, I started with the bottom of the barrel camera
and editing equipment. But I still made movies. I shot something
every weekend from age 13 to 16. Every weekend. It was more
about learning than the camera for me. By the time I felt ready
to make my first "real" short film I was comfortable working with
actors and crew, scheduling around peoples plans and how to tell
a story on film.

i'm planning on buying a dslr to start filmmaking, looking at the best one I can find under $1000. not exactly sure where to start. my plan is eventually down the road to start making short films, then try to write some scripts, film those...

any suggestions or tips on buying a dslr camera? what to look for, external mic inputs, etc...
Several threads on this topic:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=52469
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=52682
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=52556
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=51888

Welcome to indietalk!

I started in high school... my english/history teacher showed us Dances With Wolves in class as part of our civil war material, then decided we didn't really understand what went into the production of a film like that and that we should make our own films (he wasn't the greatest teacher academically, but man was that a great class).

We had to borrow VHS cameras, including one which had the separate recorder carried on a shoulder strap. We edited between two VCRs, manually hitting record at just the right time to start each cut. We had no way to dub in sound effects, so we recorded them to a cassette tape which had to be played along with the video and started at just the right time to stay in sync (which of course never happened).

We produced a 45 minute epic lord of the flies-inspired western called Trouble at the Circle K. It opened with a trailer for Terminator 3 in which the terminator went back to the early 60's to kill Sarah Conner as a baby. There was a sword fight, a high-noon duel, a van went over a cliff and exploded, a basketball game which ended in a fight (and death), a poker game which ended in a fight (and death), a McGuyver-inspired montage in which one character built a computer out of items found in a barn, and a Rod Serling-inspired narrator who introduced character backstories via flashbacks and would occasionally step into a scene to provide exposition. There was also a sperm bank robbery scene, during the filming of which we were surrounded by the police and almost shot. It was probably one of the worst films ever made, but is still remembered fondly by all involved, and pretty much changed my direction in life...

Oh yes, I forgot about this…
I took some documentary footage from david attenborough and remixed it into something new and exciting

It's basically an anthology of 5 short stories.
The best ones are the 1st and 4th, but I like them all.

https://vimeo.com/66193779

i'm planning on buying a dslr to start filmmaking, looking at the best one I can find under $1000. not exactly sure where to start....

You start with knowing that you are, first and foremost, a storyteller.

You start with knowing that successful filmmaking is a team endeavor.

You start with knowing that you need solid people skills so that, as a director, you can lead your team.

You start with knowing that filmmaking is all about compromises.

You start with knowing that it's not about having the latest, greatest toys, but getting the most out of the the gear that you have.

You start with knowing that it's all about knowledge, skill and experience.

And, most important, you start with knowing that your film will only look as good as it sounds, because "Sound is half of the experience." :D:lol::D

As far as the equipment is concerned a DSLR will not give you great pictures; a great visual look comes from solid lighting and solid framing/composition. Good audio starts with solid production sound, which comes from getting the mic where it needs to be.

A prosumer audio kit will cost you in the neighborhood of $1,200 - way beyond your budget. But there are decent consumer level mics that will do the job, such as the Rode VideoMic (under $200 with boom-pole and WindBuster); it can be plugged directly into most camcorders and DSLRs. Start there and work your camera, tripod, lighting, etc. into the remaining budget.

Remember that it's not about the gear, it's about telling a story.

I learned about the industry by working as an extra on set.

I learned my technical skills from doing photography, writing, recording music, and by shooting bands live in the studio and then editing the footage.

Then I went straight to feature films.

Back