When will the Batman copyright expire?

It will expire or the copyright office will extend once again to protect certain works such as this, you'd have to wait BUT you do realize there are trademarks on the name and character, and the cast of characters. So what you'd be left with to use from the public domain is the particular story that entered it (only), using characters of other names. An adaptation basically.

I seem to remember a court decision which states that they can't use trademark law as a way to prevent copyright from expiring, as in use trademark law to prevent others from adapting stories from the characters. But, yes, trademark will be an issue.

But, if the Batman copyright expires, the Joker, Penguin, and Riddler copyrights may not.

Basically what would enter the domain is the 1939 character and that story. The animated TV series as you mentioned had its own stories and copyrights. Also things like modern looks of characters, logos, etc. are all trademark/copyright etc.

You'd be dealing with trying to use a public domain character while not violating any new copyrights or trademarks and pretty sure you'd need a legal team on the set lol.

First wait and see if it expires. There's always serious lobbying to extend as big companies like Disney have the same issues.

Obviously I am no lawyer, but it's a tangled web even to laywers.

The bat cave was introduced in 1942.
The bat signal was introduced in 1942.

These are just a couple things you couldn't use (for 3 more years anyway). You'd need a serious legal team to comb through it all.

Basically what would enter the domain is the 1939 character and that story. The animated TV series as you mentioned had its own stories and copyrights. Also things like modern looks of characters, logos, etc. are all trademark/copyright etc.

True, especially in regards to the animated TV series. But I bet the writers, producers, and, above all, Kevin Conroy, the iconic voice of Batman, would be willing to come on board. That said, I'm wondering if Warner Bros would accept a pitch that was funded by kickstarter.

As for a legal team, yes, I'd need a firm that specializes in it.

Now that I've calmed down from the excitement, WB seems to have a few Batman animated features coming out next year. In any case, I doubt if they would let an outsider come in with money to use their precious IP and potentially make more than their executives.

That said, I'm so tempted to ask. :)

Back