favorite What's your favorite movie?

And another great sound design is "Cast Away;" with so little dialog and no narration the sound has a huge part in telling the story.
Yes! Cast away. I feel like it doesn't get as much respect as it should. Any film that can make you cry over a ball is a great movie. "wilson!!!!!" lol

I have a bunch of favorite films, but notably, Glengarry Glenross and Pan's Labyrinth.

I love Glengarry because of the acting; I feel like it was a bunch of really phenomenal actors in their prime on a fantastic script that flowed beautifully, I think it's a drama masterpiece.

As for Pan's... I just have the utmost respect for the film. Not only do I think it has beautiful effects, artistic value, and writing, but I love the care that went into the film. The film is really majestic, and I think the Spanish actually benefits the film. In fact, I love Guillermo's dedication to personally rewriting the film in English for the subtitles, instead of having a company do it. If you are familiar with Spanish, or any other foreign language, you'll know that a lot of things don't transfer over, and get lost in translation. More so, certain things mean other things. Being fluent in both languages, I felt like he did a great job of not only translating it, but altering it to have the same meaning in English.

Yes, even with my being an ignoramus about sound, Alcove, please tell me that Saving Private Ryan is a study of excellance in sound. =)

I'm not Alcove but I can confirm that Saving Private Ryan is literally a study in excellence in sound and while I don't always agree with the Academy, Saving Private Ryan was one of the most easily justifiable and incontestable Oscar winners for sound. In fact, as an ex-senior university lecturer, I specified the opening battle scene in Saving Private Ryan as required study material. I could explain in detail why S.P.R. is such a good example of the pinnacle of contemporary film sound design but I'm sure it would bore everyone here!

Another film already mentioned deserves mentioning again because along with Star Wars, Apocalypse Now is arguably the most important and defining film of the modern era with regards to sound design.

I love all of those movies. Coincidence? Or coin-sound-ence?

I agree entirely with what you have said, although the way you said it IMHO, deserves to be classified as a criminal offence! :lol: I've said it before, that it can't be a coincidence that most of the films considered "great" or "legendary" are also "legendary" when judged purely in terms of their quality of sound and sound design.

Back on topic: It's difficult to say what my favourite films are because it depends on how I'm judging them. For example whether I'm judging from a standpoint of film appreciation, more specifically with regard to sound design, purely on my personal mindless entertainment value or a combination of all the above. So I could say 2001 and The Shining are definitely in my favourites list but I don't really enjoy them on a mindless entertainment level. For pure entertainment I love films like Harry Potter, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Da Vinci Code, LOTR, Independence Day, etc., which luckily also have some truly great sound design, as well as films like James Bond and Bourne. To be honest, my list would be so long and difficult to choose between I think I'll stop, even though there are so many which deserve a mention like: Raging Bull, Forest Gump, Jaws, The Godfather, Dances with Wolves, 40 Year Old Virgin, Brief Encounter, Ben Hur, The Abyss, Dangerous Liaisons, Unforgiven, Shakespeare in Love, Psycho, Wall-e, Amistad, Angel Heart, Solaris, African Queen, Bridge over the River Kwai ... OK, must stop now!

G

Changes from time to time. My favorite used to be "Wrath of Khan", but, after a dozen times, it's no longer my favorite. Then I got back to watching and liking "Empire Strikes Back", but, again, after so many viewings, it's no longer my favorite. Now I don't have a favorite movie per se, but I still like them, and I hope to produce some in the near future.

Pulp Fiction has to be number one on my list. Every time I see it, I am more and more amazed at how perfectly written the script is.

Back