favorite What's your favorite movie?

What's your all time favorite movie or movies? And why? I always find it interesting to find out what are some of filmmakers favorite movies.

Mine is (500) Days of summer. Yes, I know it's a newer film but everytime I watch it (p.s. I've probably watched it over 100 times) it makes me happy and wanna go out there and get my heart broken. ;)

Grosse Pointe Blank. I like the existential torment that Martin goes through because of his chosen profession and how people react when he tells them that he kills people for a living.

I've never seen grosse pointe blank before. Heard about it, never saw it, I might wanna look it up and see it now. Blue valentine yes it is a perfect film. The director said while he was filming that he felt like he was filming a documentary and I have to agree it feels as though when I watch it I'm really watching these two people fall in love and at the sometime watching their relationship hit it's boiling point. Really great film. Clearly one of my favorites too.

Last edited:
Blue Valentine. To me it's a perfect film.

Blue Valentine, while not one of my favorites, is a phenomenal film.

As for going back on topic - I think mine would be 12 Angry Men (even though the Russian remake 12 was better). I like Fonda and I think that it is a timeless film. Or Good Will Hunting - I think that it is a smartly written film that really showed GVS's skills to a larger audience.

Forrest Gump - The greatest Love story ever told.

Jackie Brown - To cool for words.

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - Nothing even close to being like this film.

Clockwork Orange - Even time I see it, I always change my mind if Alex was cured or not. Stanley K.

Last Crusade!

indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade.jpg

Although, I'll probably change my mind next time I see Avatar. And then I'll change my mind again, next time I see Last Crusade. And then I'll change my mind, next time I see Avatar. And then I'll.................

Today? (it's never the same) Let's say, in no order
1) Legend
2) Kurosawa's Dreams
3) The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
4) Brazil
5) Night of the Living Dead

This list will change tomorrow. Too many awesome movies in this world!

I also really liked Scott Pilgrim VS The World. I have the comic books. Good flick for comics lovers.

A Clockwork Orange is in my top 3 all time favorite movies. I can't hear "Singing In the Rain" without busting out laughing.

Will it surprise you to hear that this question, more or less, has been asked how many times on this (and other) forums? That's not at all to criticize your asking it. As a matter of fact, I think it's very excellant for it to be asked on a regular basis!

So, off the top of my head, I have to go with Apocalypse Now. There was a recent thread asking for a top ten of everyone's favorite movies. Ah, here it is. So, I didn't even manage to get Apocalypse Now on my top ten favorite list.

Buuuuuuuut, when you ask, what is your all time favorite movie, at the moment, I'm hard pressed to choose anything other than Apocalypse Now. It's just such a tour de force of a film. I'm vaguely aware that the British Film Institute has recently named Vertigo as the top film of all time, unseeting Citizen Kane. That's fine. But, I say, at the moment, and not surprisingly to me, give that to Apocalypse Now.

Okay, you asked, what is your favorite film. I haven't necesarily answered that. A.N. isn't necessarily my favorite. But at the moment, I feel like saying what I think might be the best film ever made.

Hope that'll do ya.

Last edited:
It's always a tough one to answer; different films for different moods, faves in various genres, some because I love the sound, others because... Well, you get the idea. That's why I proposed the idea of the "Fave Five" a while back.

So here's a few Fave Fives:

War Films:

Twelve O'Clock High
The Lost Battalion
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
Master and Commander

Animation:

The Incredibles
Beauty and the Beast
The Iron Giant
Howls Moving Castle
Ratatouille

Fantasy (I don't really know how to categorize them):

Pleasantville
Stranger Than Fiction
Being There
Groundhog Day
Harvey

Music and Musicians:

Ray
Walk the Line
This is Spinal Tap
Amadeus
The Glenn Miller Story

Action/Adventure:

Die Hard
True Lies
Robin Hood
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
Terminator & T2

Baseball:

Field of Dreams
The Lou Gehrig Story
The Rookie
Angels in the Outfield (1951)
Major League

Yes, even with my being an ignoramus about sound, Alcove, please tell me that Saving Private Ryan is a study of excellance in sound. =)

Great choice.

Saving Private Ryan is a study of excellance in sound.

So are "Master and Commander" and "Ratatouille." Another example of a phenomenal mix is a personal fave, "Forrest Gump." Of course, the original "Star Wars: Episode IV" set the standard in the "modern" era. And another great sound design is "Cast Away;" with so little dialog and no narration the sound has a huge part in telling the story.

So are "Master and Commander" and "Ratatouille." Another example of a phenomenal mix is a personal fave, "Forrest Gump." Of course, the original "Star Wars: Episode IV" set the standard in the "modern" era. And another great sound design is "Cast Away;" with so little dialog and no narration the sound has a huge part in telling the story.

I love all of those movies. Coincidence? Or coin-sound-ence?

Oh, wow. I can't believe I just did that. :P

Back