• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's type of DVD burner should I use for good quality?

I would like to make some DVDs of a short film to send them out the cast and crew, and all that. However, the DVD burner I have does not make the best quality DVDs. It doesn't have that DVD good quality look you would get with a more pro made one. In fact, I would say the quality is about as VHS for some reason. If you were to play a VHS on an HDTV that is.

Are their any particular types that are better for more professional work, rather than just making your own home movies?

I'd personally put it on Google Drive and allow the download, but failing that, put it on a Data Disc. One output as a standard .mov h.264 file and another as a high quality export (like ProRes or DNxHD) so the actors don't need to rip the DVD to add to their showreel. Actors rarely know how to rip a DVD.

Okay thanks. I was going to do both actually, but two of them asked for DVDs so far.

I googled DVD maker and can download it? But I was wondering what type of DVD burners, would be good to use in conjunction with such a program? I also have Encore DVD.

Last edited:
You're talking about DVD burners, connected to a computer, either internal or USB, right? Not a standalone DVD recorder hooked up via video cables?

If so the burner has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your video. That's determined entirely by the software you use to encode the video to MPEG2.

you'll want one that's at least 2,000-3,000 dollars and you'll probably need to have a crew to carry it and another crew to set it up. You can buy the burner, send it to me, and I'll set it up for you. I would only charge $1,500 and it would take about 3 months for me to do it. let me know!

You're talking about DVD burners, connected to a computer, either internal or USB, right? Not a standalone DVD recorder hooked up via video cables?

If so the burner has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your video. That's determined entirely by the software you use to encode the video to MPEG2.

Yes I am talking about ones you hook up to your computer. I thought that the burner would determine the quality also.

Yes I am talking about ones you hook up to your computer. I thought that the burner would determine the quality also.

Okay thanks. I was going to do both actually, but two of them asked for DVDs so far.

I googled DVD maker and can download it? But I was wondering what type of DVD burners, would be good to use in conjunction with such a program? I also have Encore DVD.

OHHH this is totally my mistake here. I said DVD Maker because it's been FOREVER since I used these guys (cause I find just ordering the dvd from them is easier than just buying their printers.)

Anyways http://www.discmakers.com/duplicators/

There you go. Order a master disk through them, buy a duplicator, you're ready to make very high quality dvds of your whatever for whatever. Want to go the extra mile? You can buy one of those fancy things that print the image ontop of the disc as well! ( OR the ALWAYS exciting DOUBLE PACK machine that has BOTH for ONE LOW PRICE!)

Lol really though... pretty cheap. Great quality. Would recommend.

getting a good dvd quality video is hard. The cheap software does a terrible job at trans coding etc..

I think you have premier, so what you need to do is learn about the DVD MPEG video standard, use premiere to render your DVD video\audio files directly skipping any third party trans coding.
After that its just replicating the DVD file structure.

Understand that it will never be HD. DVD formatted video is NOT HD!

Im glad phisical media is dying, the only good product I found was adobe encore, and Im not sure you can get that anymore..

Okay thanks. I know DVDs are only 480p, but even for 480p, it still comes out looking crappy on my dad's burner compared to a DVD you buy in the store for example. What if I burned it to blu ray, or will that also not look as good as a store blu ray?

What if I hired one of those companies who makes videos for you, like wedding videos, and things like that, to make them? Would they do a better quality job, cause of their equipment, or would it be the same, and it's not worth the money?

Maybe it looks crappier compared to a proffesional DVD, because the movie itself looks crappier to begin with.

In PPro:
export to MPEG-2 DVD muxed audio and video to create 1 file.

Use encore to add a title menu.

And go!

DVD on a HDTV will always look not so good.

The only thing bad burners can do wrong is creating a disk with errors.
Burners don't know how to lower the quality, because they only burn 1s and 0s.
So, the quality is always in the encoding.

It's the same with bluray: there are good burners and bad burners, but they all burn the file you created.

Let me rephrase that:

"You're overcomplicating a simple DVD way too much."
Alternatively:

"A 720p/1080p DVD is going to look like SD when played on a regular SD DVD player - irregardless of the TV it's outputting to."

... which a simple goog search would have rendered + about five minutes of reading.

Sweet Jeezus: http://www.ehow.com/how_6883361_do-burn-720p-dvd_.html

FWIW, a simple google search renders this entire thread moot.

Do your own homework H.

I'm gonna have to back up h44 on this one. Despite what that site says, it's actually really hard to get a DVD encoded to look as high quality as SD can get as seen on commercial film DVDs. Personally I have never been able to achieve it no matter what software and settings I've tried. And I've tried a LOT of youtube tutorials and written tutorials.

I'm no spielberg, granted. But I also have eyes and can compare the quality of my HD digital file (on my non-HD monitor) to the final output to DVD. The DVD is downright blurry, not just in comparison, but in general. H44 is right, it's like a crappy VHS.

Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to say. Just my experience with this. I think in the future I really like the idea of just ordering a master from a reputable company and then duplicating that disc. Thanks for that tip, Sky!

I've had the opposite experience - I've never really had an issue getting good looking DVD encodes assuming I start with a high quality master.

In general I've found you'll get the best results if you apply a light noise reduction pass (with something like Neat Video) to your master, even if most of the footage isn't visibly noisy - this cleans up noise that isn't necessarily visible, but which the encoder has to deal with, and also smooths out fine details that won't be visible in the final encode anyway due to the SD resolution.

My master file is usually a ProRes HD file, 16x9, and I encode it using Compressor. I use the "Highest Quality" option (two pass VBR best) with a peak data rate of 8Mbit/second. Progressive encode, 23.976 frame rate, anamorphic aspect ratio.

That produces files that look good when played back on a consumer DVD player at typical home screen sizes (32-60"). They're not nearly as detailed as HD, but that's to be expected when you're only retaining 1/5th of the pixels of the original.

With those settings when things go bad it's almost always a result of the source material. If the source has a lot of noise it really pushes the limits of the encoder, and you'll start seeing blockiness in the image. If you have highly saturated reds or blues they'll fall apart and look very blocky because of the 4:2:0 encoding. Shaky handheld footage also strains the encoder, and if it's combined with a lot of noise or high detail (foliage, etc) it's going to turn to mush. Interlaced footage doesn't encode as well as progressive, and if you shot something like 24-in-60i and didn't apply a pulldown before you started editing the final result won't be as good as it could be.

It's the standard garbage in/garbage out scenario; the better your source, the better your final results, so what you get in the end has as much to do with where you start as it does with how you do the final encode.

Alternatively:

"A 720p/1080p DVD is going to look like SD when played on a regular SD DVD player - irregardless of the TV it's outputting to."

... which a simple goog search would have rendered + about five minutes of reading.

Okay thanks. I realize that it will look like SD when playing it on a regular DVD player. But my point is, is that DVDs you buy in the store still look better. Where as my burner makes it look as good as VHS after. I know you cannot get HD quality with a DVD, but I should still be able to get DVD and not VHS. My dad burned copies of commercial films on DVD with the same burner. I looked at those ones, and the quality is reduced to VHS looking too after burning. So it's not just my movie, all of his movies look lowered to VHS quality after burning.

I suppose since I shot with H.264 on my camera, that it's not a good source to begin with. I don't have neat video now, but I find that neatvideo takes away a lot of detail in the image too and makes it look too smooth possibly. A guy I worked with uses it all the time. Not sure if it improves the look, it just makes the image look kind of artificial and too smooth perhaps. But if that's better than noise, perhaps I will get it in the future. I shot at 24fps on the Canon T2i, which I read is progressive. When you say apply a pulldown, what does that mean?

As for what Dreadylocks said about ordering a master from a reputable company, how would the company's master be different, assuming they use the software we do, like Premiere Pro, Encore DVD, etc.? My master copy is DNxHD so far, but if so, I can make another one. I was going to send the DNxHD to google drive for the cast and crew, but they may not be able to play the file, since my media players cannot. Is there a different type I should send that is playable on most media players?

Thanks.

Last edited:
With Neat Video if your video comes out looking too smooth and plasticky it means you're using too much noise reduction. You need to play with the advanced controls to tune it and find a balance between removing noise and maintaining detail.

But back to the DVD - forget the burner for now. What application are you using to transcode your master to MPEG2, and what settings are you using in that application?

Where as my burner makes it look as good as VHS after.

Listen McFly.... It's the encode. Not the burner.

So it's not just my movie, all of his movies look lowered to VHS quality after burning.

What is doing the same thing, over and over again, expecting a different outcome called?

assuming they use the software we do

You are assuming wrong.

My master copy is DNxHD......[snip] Is there a different type I should send that is playable on most media players?

Asked and answered. Do yourself a favor and read your replies. or not and remain ignorant..

Back