• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What's type of DVD burner should I use for good quality?

I would like to make some DVDs of a short film to send them out the cast and crew, and all that. However, the DVD burner I have does not make the best quality DVDs. It doesn't have that DVD good quality look you would get with a more pro made one. In fact, I would say the quality is about as VHS for some reason. If you were to play a VHS on an HDTV that is.

Are their any particular types that are better for more professional work, rather than just making your own home movies?

Oh yes, thank you. I sent the actors an H.264 copy to download, but they asked for DVDs.

I think I may have found the problem. I was told buy a guy who knows more about it, that my DVD burner, burns the movie onto the disc by using a laser that burns a dye onto the disc. Where as the more expensive burners, used to make commercial DVDs of commercial movies, use a system where the burner creates bumps in the dvd. He says you can tell by looking at the discs. My burner makes a rainbow color on the disc, where as commercially burned DVDs, do not have that color.

He says that the DVDs with bumps, are better quality than the ones with the dies. I realize I am not using proper terms here, but that's how he explained it to me. Is he, right, and that's why it's lower quality? But you people said it was the codec that was the problem, so if that's the problem, then what I have been doing is setting the codec to the highest settings and bitrates, cause I am not sure which settings are the best, and everyone has different opinions, it seems. What codec settings should I be using?

Thanks.

Are you f**king kidding me? You're still on this topic? If your friend knows so much about it, why are you asking here? Why didn't you ask him to do it for you? Oh, that's right, it's another one of those clueless "Voices in your head".

What EXACTLY is wrong with the DVD's that come out of your burner? Or is this some theoretical excuse making?

What codec settings should I be using?

Just snap a DVD disk in half and slit your throat. You're a lost cause.

Man, the only difference is that 1 is burned and the other is pressed. Commercial DVDs are pressed because that is faster and cheaper if you need 100s, 1000s or 100000000000s of copies.
In the end they both reflect light in a way that the player reads the data.
So: THE BURNER DOES NOT AFFECT THE LOOK OF THE MOVIE

Is a story worse if it's printed with a laser printer instead of pressed?

The codec settings are already there as a preset in PPro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back