movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Pulp Fiction 6/10. Honestly so far what I've seen out of Tarantino is overrated. I've now seen this and Django Unchained. I suppose listening to somebody else say the F word isn't my idea of entertainment. Being an Aussie, the 'dreaded' N word means nothing to me in terms of swearing so it's use was ocassions only entertaining. Story was a little odd to follow, especially compared to Django. Wasnt till the end restaurant scene that I knew what I was happening, spose that's the point though, and I wanted to find out what happened to Bruce Willis and his girl and how they tied into the other two main dudes. Gimp scene was disturbing to say the least.... I'd probably give Django 7.5/10. much more entertaining, especially the very first bit and the end. A little slow in the middle.

Argo 7/10. Meh. Bits were good, bits were boring. Probably safe to say IMO that it could have been much shorter. Maybe I just hate the 70s US look

Last edited:
The Possession - 7/10
Yeah, yeah, yeah. The reviews are pretty poor on this one and the story is kinda wishy-washy, but it's the more than occasional stylistically impressive camera work, more than occasional beautiful lighting, color grading, and score that impressed me repeatedly.
I can't really recommend it for it's story content, but will suggest it's necessary viewing for technicals.
(Compare this to 'The Apparition' + 'The Perfect House' = total cr@p x 2.)

The Odd Life of Timothy Green - 4/10
Just stupid.
Same problem as G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra the story doesn't work for any audience.
TOLoTG is too "parenty" and slow for preteens to enjoy, teens just don't give a sh!t about the subject matter, and it's too sappy stupid for adults.

School of Rock - 9/10
This remains a pretty d@mn good film a decade later.
Story has no loose ends. Acting is tight all the way around.
It's just great.

Flight 9.5/10
Great story and great acting. Some of the trailers were misleading in a sense that it seemed like it would of been a lot about the plane and Denzel flying it...but....definitely goes depper than that

Lawless 8/10 - Very enjoyable. Loved Tom Hardy!
Argo 9/10 - Amazing story! Great use of real footage too!
Life of Pi 4/10 - Cinematography oscar is a joke. You go Christopher Doyle
End Of Watch 7/10 - Enjoyed it a lot!
Django Unchained 9/10 - F*ck yeah Tarantino!
Lincoln 5/10 - Overhyped, but Janusz Kaminski lit it amazingly.
Bourne Legacy 7/10 - Prefer Jeremy Renner as Bourne :P
Skyfall 10/10 - A truly british Bond. Roger Deakins, you got snubbed for your Oscar! Hats off!

Lawless 8/10 - Very enjoyable. Loved Tom Hardy!
Argo 9/10 - Amazing story! Great use of real footage too!
Life of Pi 4/10 - Cinematography oscar is a joke. You go Christopher Doyle
End Of Watch 7/10 - Enjoyed it a lot!
Django Unchained 9/10 - F*ck yeah Tarantino!
Lincoln 5/10 - Overhyped, but Janusz Kaminski lit it amazingly.
Bourne Legacy 7/10 - Prefer Jeremy Renner as Bourne :P
Skyfall 10/10 - A truly british Bond. Roger Deakins, you got snubbed for your Oscar! Hats off!

Really? You gave lincoln a 5 and life of pi a 4??

Also, if you watched the Bourne Legacy Jeremy Renner wasn't "Bourne" he was just another agent like him.

American Horror Story, Season One.

It strains and breaks through the limits of suspension of disbelief. It's over the top, and a little bit transgressive. And it's quite entertaining. At first I didn't know if I could continue. It's all over the place. At first I thought it was too much of a barrage. But I couldn't stop watching either. I didn't really want to, I guess, and I'm glad I stuck with it. Jessica Lange plays the detestable Constance with bravado, and she's awesome at it. I only wish Netflix had seasons two and three, as well.

American Horror Story, Season One.

It strains and breaks through the limits of suspension of disbelief. It's over the top, and a little bit transgressive. And it's quite entertaining. At first I didn't know if I could continue. It's all over the place. At first I thought it was too much of a barrage. But I couldn't stop watching either. I didn't really want to, I guess, and I'm glad I stuck with it. Jessica Lange plays the detestable Constance with bravado, and she's awesome at it. I only wish Netflix had seasons two and three, as well.

They just finished airing season two on FX a month or so ago - and barely indicated what season 3 will consist of

Burt Wonderstone 6/10

Very funny movie, despite a few flaws in the storytelling. Jim Carrey is under-utilized so much, especially since he's the best part in the film. More scenes with him would've gotten a 9/10 or higher. Pretty cool to see him as a villain again, though.

Just saw Seven Psychopaths and absolutely loved it! It has great writing and delivery... a very refreshing, slick, and fun film to watch.

Also would like to drop in Bronson here. Out of the last few months of watching movies these two have stuck out for me.

Yellowbeard 5/10

A few of those points are given only because of the character Yellowbeard himself. It's not a good movie, but it had extraordinary potential, especially considering the ensemble cast of comedy stars, including but not limited to half the Monty Python team.

It had some great lines and some funny bits, but they were few and far between.

I would like to remake this movie one day (Never thought I'd ever want to be part of a remake)

Game of Thrones, Season Two.

A.

So good. Only problem is, with no new episodes to watch, I have to go through Game of Thrones withdrawal.

Kumaré

Grade A.

Oh man. Hmmm. I mean, I read the premise and I thought, this is interesting...and unethical. But it looked and sounded intriguing. So I watched. I felt it likely that I wouldn't be able to watch the end when he reveals to his followers that he's a fraud and that he's been having them on. I'm not saying that he does or does not reveal that to them. I of course must let you find that out for yourself, if you care to. But that's pretty much what you have to expect, and if that's not cringeworthy, I don't know what is.

I went in thinking, and early on as I watched, okay, right, as Roger Ebert wrote in his review, Gandhi does seem to be "essentially a good man." But I couldn't help thinking that while he might be a basically decent guy, he's a decent guy who's made an indecent choice to bamboozle these people like that.

From Ebert's review:

When I first heard this film described, I assumed it would be a satirical, snarky comedy like Sacha Baron Cohen's "Borat." Not so. Gandhi seems to be essentially a good man, and he learns things of value to himself in his experiment. In a sense, the deception he practices on his followers is contemptible, but in another sense, they're all in it together. The film's implication seems to be: It doesn't matter if a religion's teachings are true. What matters is if you think they are.

It is 'contemptible,' right? And yet, as the film played out, I could only find both the man, Vikram Gandhi, and especially the fiction, Guru Kumaré, to be --likeable. Is it weird that I started wishing that the Guru Kumaré were real?

The thing is, as portrayed by the film, though a charlatan, he does not seem to be a negative or a harmful force in these people's lives. On the contrary, he seems to be very much a positive force in their lives. And, most importantly, in a very substantive way, at least on some level, he turns out to be not a charlatan, at all. At least, I can't help entertaining that idea. In a tricky way, yes, and in not the most commendable of a ways, he just may have managed to be one of the most authentic gurus I can imagine.

I think that part of what makes that work is, here is a guy, the filmmaker, he's basically unemployed with nothing better to do, apparently, than to hang out and be, you could even forget about his pretending to be a guru, but just be a good friend to his students. He listens to them intently. He really does seem to give them his full attention and thoughtful input. He's gentle, considerate, nonjudgmental, and caring with them. In other words, he's what most of us would probably think of as an ideal friend. That's his job. And if you asked me what a guru ought to be, well, I'd answer, probably that.

Another factor that's key is that ultimately the filmmakers do not make Kumaré's core followers look bad. Even the noncore spirituality seekers and gurus are dealt with by a fairly gentle hand. And that's very good.

In fact, it all gets fairly touching towards the end.

Oh man, I was relieved and glad that he didn't come clean to them in the unveiling scene at the pool. That probably would have been ugly, bad, and just not the right thing to do. To play it like they did was right. Let them have that sweet "conclusion," without the slap in the face that I think his confession would have been in that moment.

The way they did come clean after that was still cringeworthy, but thankfully not unbearable or unwatchable. And it was rather exhilarating to see and to hear the positive, even mirthful reactions. And a relief. It seems like that was about as smart of a way to handle it as anyone was likely to come up with.

And it's totally understandable that the yoga instructor, especially, and others walked out. By then I was feeling quite sentimental and warm about how things had gone. But that's a point in the film when you're brought careening back to face those pesky questions about the ethics of what he's been up to...playing with these people's lives, hearts, and, in the case of the yoga instructor, her business.

Oy.

But it also helps to make the film thought provoking, I suppose. And that's not meant to be a justification or a rationalization for it. I mean, if he had chosen not to pursue this premise, which would probably have been the right thing to do, then I wouldn't be thinking about it or writing about it now. Huh.

And in a way, because he actually turned out to be a pretty darn good guru, and even more so, a likeable one, that does make it difficult for me to condemn it. For the most part, he was, except for the whole fraud thing, a good friend to most of them, and, even a pretty wise guru.

Do those ends justify the means?

Probably not. But it's certainly an interesting film.

Last edited:
I watched The Wick. It is a low budget film that was made by just two guys who live in Hackney Wick in London. It is right next to the 2012 Olympic stadium. I didn't expect much, but I found it very funny and clever. I can't believe it was made by just the two of them. There are scenes where the camera is static and they act in front and the rest is real interviews that they did. I haven't seen a film like it before, but it works.

7/10 - hard to compete against the big boys, but unique and great slapstick.

10/10 for effort. Impressive work.

Check it out at www.thewickfilm.com

I watched The Wick. It is a low budget film that was made by just two guys who live in Hackney Wick in London. It is right next to the 2012 Olympic stadium. I didn't expect much, but I found it very funny and clever. I can't believe it was made by just the two of them. There are scenes where the camera is static and they act in front and the rest is real interviews that they did. I haven't seen a film like it before, but it works.

7/10 - hard to compete against the big boys, but unique and great slapstick.

10/10 for effort. Impressive work.

Check it out at www.thewickfilm.com

I, too, saw this amazing film and it changed my life! I can't believe how it fell into my lap even though I have no affiliation with the movie AT ALL. Literally, I was sitting at home and I turn to look at my cat and the next thing I know there is this DVD in my lap. I'm like, never heard of these guys but WOW, was I excited. And I was not disappointed.

Go watch this movie now! It's awesome! I had nothing to do with making it here's lots of links!!

Back