movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Finally saw Super 8. Meh.

I had been really looking forward to it. It started out with such potential, and then it seemed so poorly written and forced that by the time the climax came I felt like there was still 20 minutes left of exposition left in the movie. But instead it just ended. Story over.

Shoddy work, there Abrams. 5.5/10

I could only watch the first couple of minutes of it... Maybe wasn't in the mood for it... Maybe I'm not in the mood for films like this anymore forever...

Last night I've seen this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1239290/

I was so impressed! (especially when, as you know, I'm in the mood for love triangles :huh:)
Amazing piece of work!

I saw Captin America a few days ago it was pretty good. I was only let down with the ending. It should be cool seeing the sequal to it. I am excited about the avengers too.

Last edited:
Jumping The Broom 8/10

A breath of fresh air in a genre otherwise dominated by played-out Tyler Perry films. Acting and script alike make this film the gem that it is. It's a comedy, so you can assume happy ending, but there are a few great little twists in the plot that make the film much more interesting, and allow it to effectively avoid cliche status.

Angela Bassett & Loretta Devine, two of my fav actresses in Hollywood, were both outstanding.

jumping-the-broom-21.jpg

Quit The Adjustment Bureau fifty minutes into it.
Can't believe this drivel booked $127M.
I just don't care for this sci-fi lite cr@p.

This and Never Let Me Go are laudable for their story telling achievement of technically sci-fi stories WITHOUT any real classic sci-fi elements to them.
No space travel, super cool tech, cities of the future, androids or aliens.
Just simple "Hi! I have a J Edgar Hoover hat! I can travel through doors and change your future"! or "I'm sorry. We'll be taking that lung and liver from you now so that your original can live another fifty years".
Clever, but yawwwwwwn.

Unabashedly, I like my sci-fi HARD.
Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, Alien and Matrix franchises.
Starship Troopers
The Fifth Element
Minority Report
District 9
WALL-E

Battle: Los Angeles was just barely sci-fi.
As someone else said "It's a war movie. With some aliens in it".
A$$hats.

RocknRolla isn't anywhere near as interesting as Snatch.
It may cinematically "look better", but the story and writing shift from absurd predicament humor to absurd predicament drama is bad, bad, bad.

I finally watched Lottery Ticket on dvd. It was pretty funny. I waited so long because I saw it had not the greatest reviews. But it was funny. I liked it. It sorta reminded me of the movie Friday.

"Kevin Carson is a young man living in the projects who has to survive a three-day weekend after his opportunistic neighbors find out he's holding a winning lottery ticket worth $370 million."-imdb.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtplgiBm2k

Last edited:
Forgetting Sarah Marshall: 7/10
Just Go With It: 8/10
True Grit: 3/10
Cowboys & Aliens: 8/10
Romeo Must Die: 9/10
Pulp Fiction: 11/10

Hobo With A Shotgun. Hmmm. It was pretty bad, and VERY cheesy, but it was trying to be, so how does one rate that? Had its moments, but overall didn't really resonate with me. If you like gore heavy 70s action that doesn't ever take itself seriously, you'll probably like it. Good (albeit cheesy) soundtrack. Glad I watched it, might watch it again if someone else wanted to see it, but wouldn't go out of my way.

Most of those wouldn't be considered Hard Science Fiction.
Don't be such a tease. ;)
Cough us up a few qualifying films. :yes:

(On deck for tomorrow: Sucker Punch [23% of 182 critics have given the film positive reviews], and Red riding Hood [11% rating on critic aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes], AKA "how to spend a combined $120M for sh!t").

if you're into hijinx / deadbodies / lol genre... then check out 11:14 ! a flick i never heard of if it weren't for netflix. Hillary Swank has a wonderful bit role in it.

btw, can someone recommend a camera - besides dslr. in the low budget range. i saw that sony came out w. a couple "filmic" things in response to the dslr.

re

I just watched The Sorcerer's Apprentice. It was pretty cool. I enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2uV0_1C4UM

I also just watched Youth In Revolt and thought it was a good movie too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_xceUThJkc

Last edited:
"The Change Up" 8/10
It was hysterically funny and well worth the price of admission and then some. I only give it an 8 because it's predictable as hell.

The Change Up
Formulaic, predictable and been done before. Still, it was done well so it served its purpose and was highly entertaining.

3/5

Friends with Benefits
Although formulaic, predictable and been done before, like Change Up it was done well and the chemistry between the two leads was palpable, so if you're a sucker for a good romcom (and I am), it definitely fires on all cylinders. It actually made me like Justin Timberlake. Also, Mila Kunis is a hottie... and she chews out silly journalists in Russian (check youtube). Hot.

3.5/5

Back