• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

what would be an approximate cost to re-adr a whole film?

I want to adr my hour and twenty minute film from english to spanish. I would obviously line all the actors up to come in and bang out there lines then ask the Adr person to place it in. I know it's not that easy, but I've seen it done. What kind of time frame do you think it would take, 1 to capture the adr, 2 to set it? What's the going rate for a day of low budget adr work? Wierd question. I usually get some good feed back though that I can use with the adr guy to see if he knows what he's talking about. Thanks.

I want to adr my hour and twenty minute film from english to spanish.

Okay, that is not ADR, that's dubbing.

I would obviously line all the actors up to come in and bang out there lines then ask the Adr person to place it in. I know it's not that easy, but I've seen it done.

You'll still follow basic ADR protocols - you and the talent will be watching the film while dubbing the lines, so the lines will be in the proper sequence already.

What kind of time frame do you think it would take, 1 to capture the adr, 2 to set it? What's the going rate for a day of low budget adr work? Wierd question. I usually get some good feed back though that I can use with the adr guy to see if he knows what he's talking about. Thanks.

Obviously, a lot will depend upon the skill of your dubbers. The first question is "how closely do you want the dub to sync?" Do you want an extremely close match like in "Hero." Or is it okay for it to be like a '70's Kung Fu flick where the actors lips move for three sentences and the dubbed dialog is "Yes"? That will have a tremendous bearing on how long it will take. Do you care about the emotional content of the dubbed performances, or are you just putting in a bland translation? Another aspect that will have an impact on time.

Most ADR facilities will charge by the hour. A low budget ADR studio will probably run about $25/hr. As you probably want someplace bilingual you may want to think about doubling that. Just to give you a little perspective there are places that get well over $300/hr.

Doing traditional ADR can be a real PITA. I've had an actress take over an hour to get one line right, I've had an actor get it in only two or three takes. So your range is 15 minutes to 75 minutes of ADR/dubbing time for each linear minute of film. So, for you, 80 minutes X 15 minutes is 1,200 minutes (20 hours), and 80 minutes X 75 minutes is 6,000 (100 hours) would be your approximate range. Add it transitions for the actors (15 - 20 minutes each) plus the other usual problems (30 - 60 minutes per day). Add or subtract depending upon your answers to the questions I posed. Then you have to add in editing, about 30 minutes per linear minute if s/he works really, really fast (40 hours). Then you have to mix. You do have M&E's, right?

I didn't pay for it, but one of my movies was dubbed into
French and German. The distributor wanted the sync as
close as possible and I know it took four weeks - just over
170 hours.

A friend of mine did a Spanish dub himself of one of his films.
It does not sync up well - just lines being said as the mouths
move - and it took him about 80 hours over a three month
period. I'll ask him how much he spent but I think it was in
the neighborhood of $2,000/$2,500 total for actors and studio
time. As I recall he only used three actors to dub all the voices.

Thank you both. It is already a cool, campy film~so I was going for closer to the kung fu movie version. The prices you gave, seem like decent frameworks. If my film is re-dubbed<{thanks} in spanish, can I enter it in the foriegn language category at film festivals?:huh: Crazier things have happened.

Back