What to buy with my Rebel T2i

Hi all,

I'm planning on purchasing a Canon Rebel T2i and I have a few questions. Note: I will be doing mostly video with the T2i

1. I understand you can buy T2i kits which come with lenses, but sometimes these lenses aren't that great. Should I just buy the T2i body and purchase my own glass, or should I buy a kit, and if so what one?

2. What are some good lenses (less than $500) for video on the T2i? I've been thinking of the Canon 50mm f1.4, is this a good choice? (remember I'm doing mostly video work)

3. I want to have good audio for my films, but I will be controlling both audio and video at the same time so I need something that will allow me to record audio and video at the same time, preferably something that connects to the T2i like an external mic (I heard the Rode videomic pro is good) and preferably less than $300

I'm sorry, I am a noob, if you need any more information to answer any of these questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks, I appreciate your help:)

I'm glad that you mentioned this, I have something to ask ;)

I understand that you need a fast speed card to record video, which ones are the best? I've been googling this but I am still confused

thanks

To be honest, I haven't had a class 10 card of any brand fail me yet. The last few I've purchased are 16 GB PNY's from Amazon for $28.00 (US) a piece. This is about as low as I want to go for the moment.

The difference in price between class 6 and 10 is negligible. Though class 6 is all that is needed to record, I definitely prefer class 10 for dumping footage.

By the way, Rob mentioned that it's better to go with 16GB over 32GB, cuz losing a 32GB disc would be more data lost. 16GB is a lot of data! That's an 8-hour shoot for me! Don't lose your discs!!! :) Different people prefer different methods -- I think whatever method works for you, financially, is the correct choice.

Ok, I found some UV and ND filters and I believe that the 58mm works for the T3i, is this correct?

here are the ones I found

UV FILTER

ND Filters

Are those alright for the T3i and Canon EF Lenses?

Also, for sandisk class 10 cards, i found the cheapest 8gb are $27 and for a 16 gb i found $42
and I found these both on ebay. This seems a bit steep, am I just being a novice shopper or are these typical prices?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have never bought any of these things before and I just want to make sure I am doing everything right so I don't lose money or buy the wrong thing.

Thanks

Ok, I found some UV and ND filters and I believe that the 58mm works for the T3i, is this correct?

The thread will vary, depending on the lens.

The stock 18-55 lens on the T2i kit had a 58mm thread, so the T3i is probably similar.

However, the thread-size is actually marked on every lens (for reference). Looking at the front of the lens, you'll see ø58, or similar. That slashed-zero indicates thread diameter for that particular lens.

I was able to quickly match up existing filters for my retired Nikon to the new Canon lens, that way.

sandisk class 10 cards, i found the cheapest 8gb are $27

I just picked up a Kingston C10 8GB for $25 at Frys. It ain't the best brand, but it was the cheapest on the display. Polaroid was about $4 more, I think, for the equivalent.

Just mentionin' that for compares.

Just a note on the UV filters… if you're like me and think they're a sensible investment for protecting the front elements of your lenses, you need to remember that everything you shoot is going to be passing through that glass. In others words, cheaping out isn't always a great idea - I like the Hoya HMC UV(C) and (even more so, but for a premium) the B+W UV filters.

Back